Specific question

bayouvol

Choice between 3 inch 9mm or 4 inch 38 special. Not really concerned about concealing because of my life style. I can hide the 4 inch in my belt. I am looking at which one is better for defense. Not in general but within the parameters.
Thanks for input.

So are you choosing between a revolver and a semi-auto or are you looking at a 9mm revolver?

The 9mm replaced the .38 Special after at least 80 years of service in this country between the military, law enforcement and everyone's dad or grandpa.  It's still one of the most versatile calibers around.

9mm does have and edge in power but you can always go for 38+p or .357 Magnum which really ups the ante.

Really depends on what you want.  Revolvers are far more reliable (assuming you're talking S&W or Ruger) but semi's are a bit more convenient and hold a whole lot more bullets.

Edited by Garufa

I am looking at revolver verses semi, but I am looking more at whether the short barrel puts them in the same category on ballistics. I have the choice between an old smith38 special or a compact 9.

Again, since concealment is not an issue, choose more capacity in another  model. Those aren't the only two choices in gundom, ya know. :)

- OS

What I would recommend is going to a range rent a 357 and shoot 38's, 38+p and 357 through it. Try different size barrels. Then rent a few different 9mm semi auto's and shoot 115 gr and 124 gr. Then make a decision based on watch feels best in your hands and you will not hesitate to shoot. IMHO both revolvers and semi auto's will get the job done. The only thing that will make a difference is what feels right for you.

What I would recommend is going to a range rent a 357 and shoot 38's, 38+p and 357 through it. Try different size barrels. Then rent a few different 9mm semi auto's and shoot 115 gr and 124 gr. Then make a decision based on watch feels best in your hands and you will not hesitate to shoot. IMHO both revolvers and semi auto's will get the job done. The only thing that will make a difference is what feels right for you.

This, then get a Glock. :cool:

Ballistics by the inch site says...

125 gr corbon 38sp in a 4 inch roughly 1k fps.

124 gr federal 9mm 3 inch auto roughly 988 fps.  

They are virtually identical, in other words if you give it a fudge factor for ammo brands and details, +- 20 fps is nothing really.

That means something like my cz rami (3 inch, small platform) that holds (10 or 13 depending on mag you choose) is going to have over twice the firepower (number of rounds) than a 6 shot 38 (or 5 shot vs the smaller mag).

However a 4 inch 357 is better than either ballistically and a 4 inch 357 is not too rough to shoot.

a 4 inch 357 with 125gr corbon is pushing 1500 fps.  Limited number of shots, of course, but the 357 has a solid rep for defense.

Edited by Jonnin

They are virtually identical, in other words if you give it a fudge factor for ammo brands and details, +- 20 fps is nothing really.

That means something like my cz rami (3 inch, small platform) that holds (10 or 13 depending on mag you choose) is going to have over twice the firepower (number of rounds) than a 6 shot 38 (or 5 shot vs the smaller mag).

However a 4 inch 357 is better than either ballistically and a 4 inch 357 is not too rough to shoot.

a 4 inch 357 with 125gr corbon is pushing 1500 fps.  Limited number of shots, of course, but the 357 has a solid rep for defense.

Jonnin sums it up pretty well here for the 9 vs 38 vs 357. From there it's exactly what everyone else has said...whatever feels best to you. That's pretty much the crux of the question, and no one else can make that decision for you. 

But to add a little more fuel to this fire...I have the CZ Rami and it's a pretty potent little package. Pretty easily conceal carried, and loaded with 124 gr defensive ammo, is more than adequate to handle any close up situation.

And on the flip side, I have a very comfortable SW Model 19 3inch that gets a little carry time, and a lot of range time. It also is a good carry choice and is very accurate with a little practice.

For me, for pure shooting fun, I like the Mod 19 at the range.

I was giving a friend of my wife's son a little shooting lesson. He's 14 about to turn 15 and he thinks there's nothing but hicap autoloaders worth shooting.

Since it was the first time I'd been with him, I wanted to see how he handled several calibers. Very grudgingly he agreed to shoot a  22 revolver, and then my mod 19 with 38s in it. He was all over the place, just snapping the trigger fast as he could.

When we pulled up his target, looked at it and fussed that the sights must be off,  he couldn't hit the 10 ring with it. I said I didn't think so and took it and proceeded to put 6 rounds in a quarter sized hole at 7 yards. He shut up about the sights.

But couldn't get him off the autos, so I let him shoot my Glock 19 and it was all I could do to keep mags loaded for him. He blasted thru 8 mags as fast as he could drop and reload.

I finally did get him to slow down and work a few basics with him. And I must say he's a pretty good beginner.

Anyway, sorry, I got sidetracked here.

• Like 1

Get a Glock 9mm for SD or a single stack S&W Shield, Kahr, SIg, whoever is good too.  Not that you will need more than 5 or 6 shots but unless you train like Jerry Miculek or the late Ed McGivern, you better get everything you need getting done with a revolver in 5 or 6 shots, cause you won't be reloading that thing fast under stress.  If you go revolver carry 2,3,4 or 5 like Josey Wales.  Or else carry a reliable semi and a spare mag or two.

While I believe those velocities are correct that is a little fast for your average 38 and a little slow for your average 9mm. I for one think they will still be very close to equal still, even with a 50-100fps drop from a 4" to 3" barrel.

I will say after shooting 38spl and 9mm through the same revolver once in my life the 9mm feels more powerful. Both loads were comparable target loads. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

While I believe those velocities are correct that is a little fast for your average 38 and a little slow for your average 9mm. I for one think they will still be very close to equal still, even with a 50-100fps drop from a 4" to 3" barrel.

I will say after shooting 38spl and 9mm through the same revolver once in my life the 9mm feels more powerful. Both loads were comparable target loads.

I don't know, its not MY data just the best thing I have to work with as I don't have a chronograph nor the $$$ required to buy barrels to cut up. 

I picked these data points off their charts to get the same weight bullet.  A typical 9mm is lighter and a typical 38 is heavier, combine the 2 and you get a significant difference in velocity between the "standard" loadings.   As far as recoil, the 9 probably has a higher pressure spike and probably delivers the bulk of its recoil over a shorter time, leading to stouter felt impulse.   /shrug maybe?  

I dunno.  Even if they were quite a bit different, ballistics is forgiving.   Significant difference in performance is comparing a .22 to a 44 mag.   9, 38, 40, 357, etc... all more or less PERFORM the same and I doubt if you hit a victim in the same place with any of those 4 that the surgeon or coroner or whoever could tell the difference in the damage.   The 357 has an edge in that group,  but could you really tell it from a hole poked in a corpse?

Edited by Jonnin
Guest chuck66

It would help to know which 3" 9mm, or at least its capacity.  Without knowing that, I'm defaulting to the S&W.  I would change that if it were a double stack 9mm of established quality/reliability.