Rifle Series

JWKilgore

As a kid, when I outgrew my starter guns my dad would give me a bigger one and pass on the smaller one to my younger brother. Went from a .22LR Single shot (Sears branded Savage 73, currently broken beyond repair), to a Marlin 22 semi-auto (tube mag) to a single-shot Savage .410 to a Ruger 10/44 semi-auto carbine to a Marlin 30-30.

Now the problem is, who gets the starter guns to pass on to our kids? Ultimately, I kept the Marlin 30-30 and Savage .410 while my brother kept the Marlin 22 and the sweet little 10/44.

I don't want my two boys to have that problem, so I'm starting fresh. I'm going to get each of them their own guns. Also, I want to try and avoid the "outgrow" problem. If I go with a dedicated "youth" model they will out grow them and the guns will be useless for (hopefully) decades until they have their own children.

What I'm leaning toward is a series of Savage repeating bolt actions in: 

.22LR (starter gun, cheap practice, can start firing single shots but eventually use the magazine)

.223 (still semi-cheap practice ammo with longer range and louder "bangs")

7mm-08 for first "real" deer rifle

My question is, it it possible to "upgrade" a youth model with an an adult stock? Say, get a Mark II GY and upgrade with a nice aftermarket stock later (or just install a thick pad)? It would only have the 19" youth barrel, but that should still work. Or would it be better to get a nicer full-sized gun like a weather-proof Mk II FSS and temporarily equip it with a youth stock? It's only about 1/2 lb heavier, but it should last forever. Or maybe simply chop off the factory stock on the FSS and get a nice after-market stock later. The 21" barrel on the full-size may throw the balance too far off for off-hand shots with the youth stock. 

Same questions for the .223 and 7mm-08... get an Axis Youth model or adult model with a temporarily shortened stock?

Does this plan make sense? Also, I'm currently planning on going with the Savage guns because 1) they'll all have the same action 2) they're reasonably good-quality guns at decent prices so I won't freak out if they get damaged. But if someone has a good suggestion that meets my requirements I'm interested in hearing them. We'll worry about things like high-end precision and higher rates of fire when they get older.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first long gun was a NEF 20 gauge single shot from Wally bought by my papaw for helping with his tobacco crop. Still have it today...

Point being, it is the standard size and I got it at around 7 or 8 years old. I shot it just fine then, and wasn't stuck with a little "kid" gun a few years later. I say go full size. Just my .02

If it was me, I would probably go for a little nicer gun for the 22lr that will stand the test of time from a pure quality/looks perspective.  I don't think there is a better value out there for this type of gun than a CZ 452.  I am not saying the Savage isn't a good gun, it is.  It will shoot the same as the CZ, but it will never compete in the fit, finish, and looks categories, which for me is a requirement if this is to be their first gun that they will keep forever.

I would start there and let them pick there next guns.  Let them research calibers and learn about them.  There are a lot of options out there. 

In general for me, plastic and laminate doesn't equate to heirloom. Find a CZ 452 American, Trainer, or Lux and keep it forever.  

Edited by Hozzie

No other comments on this? No one asking why I'm not going with a .243 or recommending another brand?

Well I wasn’t going to ask, but you seem to want to tell us. biggrin.gif

Why would anyone with ammo the way it is today want a .243 or a 7MM-08 instead of a .223 or .308?

You already explained why you want that brand.

Why not 308 for the third, you can get some cheap ammo for that too...?

AFAIK you can put a youth stock on *most* rifles and put the default one back on later (???) but like any such thing do a little homework to be sure you can get a youth stock for em.   You could probably cut the stock *very carefully* on some models and make it "youth sized" and then put the cut ends back on later (make them easily removable again) if you had the right stock and the right tools to do it.  Naturally that seems to be a wood stock solution, only some plastic stocks would survive the operation.   A slip-on recoil pad for when its cut so cut a little shorter than you want it to be final.  It may not be possible to do the surgery on the largest caliber guns, those may requre buying 2 stocks.

Edited by Jonnin

If it was me, I would probably go for a little nicer gun for the 22lr that will stand the test of time from a pure quality/looks perspective.  I don't think there is a better value out there for this type of gun than a CZ 452.  I am not saying the Savage isn't a good gun, it is.  It will shoot the same as the CZ, but it will never compete in the fit, finish, and looks categories, which for me is a requirement if this is to be their first gun that they will keep forever.

I would start there and let them pick there next guns.  Let them research calibers and learn about them.  There are a lot of options out there. 

In general for me, plastic and laminate doesn't equate to heirloom. Find a CZ 452 American, Trainer, or Lux and keep it forever.  

This is what I was looking for, other options, or else point out flaws in my plan. All I knew about CZ before now is they made military/LE rifles; I didn't know know they made hunting rifles, and at first look they look promising. I'll have to find one in a store to look at in person.

Also, I wasn't looking for "heirloom" level rifles, more "as indestructible as possible", at least for the first two. Get a regular-size stainless barrel and receiver and put a youth-sized plastic stock. After they're older switch out to a nicer wood stock. I'm looking for stainless because every blued one from my childhood is in pretty rough shape (especially after my brother got through with them).