ACA calculator.......!!! @#$%?*@!

It is to all those whose income is $0. Not being real familiar with the specifics of the ACA, but I'm making the assumption that all the entitlement programs will have "assistance."

A post script here:

For the first round of increases on private insurance; coverage from BCBS thru my wife's work, for just the 2 of us; just increased $1950 per year,

Yep. That's really helping the budget. Edited by hipower
Guest Lester Weevils
I'm not defending ACA, but medical and insurance costs have been steadily rising since forever, and would have kept rising to this very day even if ACA had never been passed. Though it is unknown whether it would have risen quite so much. Am guessing it would have continued to get ridiculous, but not quite so bad without ACA.

Before ACA people would blame ambulance chasing lawyers, doctors, hospitals, the FDA and AMA, po folks, drug and med equipment companies and insurance companies. After ACA people will say it is all the ACA's fault, though the ACA is just another inflating factor added on top of all the other inflating factors. Therefore in fairness it shouldn't take all the blame. But human nature being what it is, ACA will get all the blame regardless, and I don't mind that, because the ACA was a real bad idea and needs to go away.

Back about 1972 read an article, I think scientific american. The article displayed rising health care cost charts over many decades up to 1972, with projections of continued increases into the future. So the issue ain't new.

The author spoke of the "inelastic demand" of health care, that people will spend whatever they have to stay alive. As medicine becomes more high tech and expensive, people will pay whatever they have for the better treatments, until eventually the civilization spends most of its GDP on health care services. That feller in 1972 might have been onto something. Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest ThePunisher
Maybe those that voted for Obama are now realizing that voting has consequences. Everybody is gonna lose more money to the commie government. Its pretty bad when ones healthcare premiums are gonna cost more than their mortgages.

Don't know the factoids on the "Silver Plan" but it would be much cheaper than what I was paying before I turned 65 according to that site.

"Household income in 2014:261% of poverty level
Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014:$7,606
Maximum % of income you have to pay for the non-tobacco premium, if eligible for a subsidy:8.37%
Amount you pay for the premium: $2,512 per year (which equals 8.37% of your household income and covers 33% of the overall premium)
You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to:$5,094 (which covers 67% of the overall premium)"

Whatever that 2500 clam "Silver Plan" actually is, bound to be better than that what I had, over $6K/year, with $5K deductible, no co-pays.

Pretty surprising that at 261% of poverty level though, I'd get 67% of it paid for!  I sense that bodes the real failure in how the math could possibly balance out, there ain't enough rich people in the US to steal this from!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Yes, that’s affordable considering you need to pay for the health care of three or four other families that are either living off the government or are illegals.

Obama is intentionally trying to destroy this country, and this is just one of the ways that show it. He doesn’t have to worry about elections anymore and I don’t think you have seen the worst of it yet. Our representatives are allowing this. This is the best this country has to offer from those who vote.
  • Like 2

the mess will not work no matter what the new people tell you.  It is going to break to common person and give free stuff to the dead beats,

Looks to me like you have to make somewhere around 40 grand a year with no dependents before you don't get a subsidy, so not sure that breaking the "common person" is all that accurate a criticism.

The actual quality and availability of health services aside, seems to me that the math of the whole thing simply can't work -- in the same way than taxing the rich and businesses at higher rate can balance the national budget.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Don't know if this is true, but I heard you had to pay your deductible before you got paid any benefits through the

ACA, so if you went to doctor and had a $500 bill for all the lab tests, office visit and all the other costs, you had to

pay it up to the deductible before you received anything for your paid policy. Anyone else hear that, or is it tinfoil?

Now, if the deductible is, say $2000, you have to use it up before the first penny is distributed, unless you're

already indigent, and then you're goose is already cooked, because you will end up being given care based on that

death panel in DC.

The way I understand every bit of these plans, nothing will ever come except total annihilation of the healthcare

industry.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The way I understand every bit of these plans, nothing will ever come except total annihilation of the healthcare
industry.

I don't know if any of you are in the healthcare field, but as somebody that is...I'm here to tell you this is what's happening. The people that will suffer are the patients (which is everyone at one point or another). I'm not saying that some of these multi millionaire CEO's of healthcare companies didn't need to tighten the belt a little, but the cuts being made are ridiculous. Of course there's some CEO's that will cut jobs simply to pad their own pockets and just blame it on the ACA.
It's the same logic Democrats use with the debt ceiling and wanting to raise it. Somehow they think cutting jobs of nurses/doctors/whatever is to save money is the way to give better care, it just doesn't make sense. Companies are laying off like crazy because they no longer will get reimbursement for some services provided.

Don't know if this is true, but I heard you had to pay your deductible before you got paid any benefits through the

ACA, ...

Except for whatever contracted freebies or co-pays, that's how a deductible works, ya know. Then you have to pay a % past that until max yearly out of pocket reached.

ACA plans vary for each state, no blanket summary overall, but here's best overview of each "metal" level plan I've seen yet, without going to a government site:

http://www.healthpocket.com/affordable-care-act/metal-plans#.UmGBcVNljfK

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I can't afford Obama care! So maybe, just maybe, that all you fine people that voted for him, will pay my health care for me. For that, I thank you very much! You wanted change...well you got it! Thank you, thank you thank you!

DaveS

So you have something right now that is affordable?

- OS

Barely. Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal. I actually thought I could get Obama Care cheaper. Well...uh....no.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS

Barely. Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal. I actually thought I could get Obama Care cheaper. Well...uh....no.

Well, hold onto it if ya can.

My insurance before official geezerhood was killing me, and (see above post) ACA would actually have saved me about $3500/year for what look to be somewhat better bennies too.

Of course, this seems to be because most of the cost is borne by richer folks and business entities, which doesn't make a lot of sense or fairness since I live on 2.5x the poverty level, not counting stashed assets.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Well, hold onto it if ya can.

My insurance before official geezerhood was killing me, and (see above post) ACA would actually have saved me about $3500/year for what look to be somewhat better bennies too.

Of course, this seems to be because most of the cost is borne by richer folks and business entities, which doesn't make a lot of sense or fairness since I live on 2.5x the poverty level, not counting stashed assets.

- OS

I actually thought O-care would make health care cheaper for us older folks. Guess not.

DaveS

I actually thought O-care would make health care cheaper for us older folks. Guess not.

Re-read. It would have for me, since I had only individual policy.

Course, now, I've got the best affordable coverage I'd had since state group policy 16 years ago. For $104 month out of Social Security and affordable co-pays with Blue Cross Advantage for Geezers Plan.

I'm actually having some optional stuff looked into for the first time in years, since I couldn't really afford to do it before.

- OS

I'm glad it seems to work for you OS. It would screw me over. I guess it all depends huh?

DaveS

Yeah. Main diff is whether you can get in a decent group policy, or a group policy at all.

When I got bumped from state system in '97, I was left in between all magic numbers, lost retirement honey hole, no option to retain group insurance, etc.

For rest of work life, could only do COBRA for awhile, which sucks, and then could only get individual coverage, all options for which suck, and suck worse every year as you age until you hit the magic 65, at which time things improve remarkably. The main drawback of course is that you are indeed 65. :)

- OS

Yeah. Main diff is whether you can get in a decent group policy, or a group policy at all.

When I got bumped from state system in '97, I was left in between all magic numbers, lost retirement honey hole, no option to retain group insurance, etc.

For rest of work life, could only do COBRA for awhile, which sucks, and then could only get individual coverage, all options for which suck, and suck worse every year as you age until you hit the magic 65, at which time things improve remarkably. The main drawback of course is that you are indeed 65. :)

- OS

I hear coverage decreases as we get older. Not sure I'm ready for that OS.

DaveS

Guest ThePunisher

The main drawback of course is that you are indeed 65. :)

- OS

I guess that's why they have created the death panels; they want to make sure we're not playing golf at age 75 and still drawing our SS checks.

I guess that's why they have created the death panels; they want to make sure we're not playing golf at age 75 and still drawing our SS checks.

Medicare has always had its built in Death Panel to a certain extent, but yeah, almost certainly will increasing correlation with disapproved procedures tied to age.

- OS