Question on a Ted Williams Shotgun

Guest Southern Christian Armed

Guest Southern Christian Armed

Tonight I acquired a VERY nice condition Ted Williams model 200 20 gauge shotgun 3 inch. Has the adjustable choke, wood is excellent, bluing is great, no rust, one tiny spec on stock (high gloss) and one fine line on left side of receiver from slide racking back on it. Otherwise excellent shape. Shoots flawless. I took it apart and detailed the crap out of it. I didn't know anything about the gun but liked the looks, age, the adjustable choke, and how clean it was. My questions are as follows:

I am in it for $225. Am I hurt in it value wise?

Can I shoot steel thru it for duck? (wanna pass down to son maybe next year for him to use)

Do they hold up?

I had a $250 offer on it right away, should I take it and move on?

Is a 20 gauge ok for duck?

Can I get parts for it if needed?

Any advice on the gun is welcome. I know its a Winchester clone, but easier and less flying parts to detail clean the bolt ;)

If i remember right; the Ted Williams brand wuz a sears brand from the 50's...  I cant remember what mfr built the shotgun...  They are a neat peice of history... Well worth (...ithink, at least...) what ya gave for it...

congratulations...

leroy

They were made by J.C. Higgins and are very well made and yes there are still some parts around for them. You actually have a collectors Item gun and a lot of folks would like to have it for their collection. You got a great deal on the gun and I would hold onto it because it will do nothing but go up in value........jmho

J.C. Higgins was Sears' house brand before Ted Williams, not a manufacturer.

The Ted Williams shotgun in question is a Winchester 1200 (or a Mossberg G4) I believe.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

http://proofhouse.com/cm/house_brand.htm

Bit of esoterica re J.C. Higgins name I never knew:

"The brand name, J. C. Higgins, was based on a real person, John Higgins who was a Sears employee. He moved from his birth country of Ireland to the United States in his late teens and began working for Sears in 1898. He spent his entire working career with Sears and was Vice President for the company for a period of time. He was actually born with no middle name but the Sears Co. presented the idea of labeling their sporting good line with his name and saw it more presentable labeling the brand as J.C Higgins. He worked with the company until his retirement as head bookkeeper in 1930. Higgins died in 1950. His expertise in sporting goods or sports is unknown."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C._Higgins

- OS

• Like 1