Dedicated 22lr uppers, let's talk brands

KKing

I'm contemplating selling my kel-tec 22lr rifle (actually taking some quality shots of it today to post) and simply replacing it with a 22lr upper to go on one of my several lowers. Typically, I like to build every piece of my uppers, but for this I've been just thinking about going with a complete upper. I know CMMG makes a good conversion kit, but I don't know much about them as a company other than that. So share your stories, what brand you have and what you like about it, help spend my money!

I'm contemplating selling my kel-tec 22lr rifle (actually taking some quality shots of it today to post) and simply replacing it with a 22lr upper to go on one of my several lowers. Typically, I like to build every piece of my uppers, but for this I've been just thinking about going with a complete upper. I know CMMG makes a good conversion kit, but I don't know much about them as a company other than that. So share your stories, what brand you have and what you like about it, help spend my money!

CMMG is fine, one of the maybe 3 mainstream companies making .22LR conversion kits and complete uppers. They of course make array of 5.56 stuff too.

I have a CMMG dedicated upper I bought used, it's very nice, quite reliable,  1:16 twist. I actually can't quite tell just how ultimately accurate it may be, since none of my AR triggers are light enough to maximize it.

CMMGupper.jpg

- OS

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1047966" timestamp="1381698324"]I don't have one, but from what I've found, you can buy a S&W M&P 15-22 for about the same money, or less in many cases. The Wal-Mart in Springfield has had an ample supply of them for about $450. That is the route I plan on taking.[/quote]I've been eyeballing this one [url="http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMMG_M4LEP_22_LR_16_inch_Upper_w_Receiver_Height_p/cmmg-11055-22b7c16.htm"]http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMMG_M4LEP_22_LR_16_inch_Upper_w_Receiver_Height_p/cmmg-11055-22b7c16.htm[/url]I see your point, the 15-22 would be a lot better training wise that my kel-tec, it more closely mimics the AR controls. I've just got a polymer lower that's sitting around with a LPK already installed I thought might be perfect for this. I also kinda look at it like if I decided to sell just a lower, it'd be very easy to store just an upper, at least much more so than an entire rifle

This is about the 22 conv kits [url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/71123-input-about-22lr-conversion-kits-for-ar15s/"]http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/71123-input-about-22lr-conversion-kits-for-ar15s/[/url]
I tried a conversion kit, but I just didn't really care for it personally

CMMG is fine, one of the maybe 3 mainstream companies making .22LR conversion kits and complete uppers. They of course make array of 5.56 stuff too.I have a CMMG dedicated upper I bought used, it's very nice, quite reliable, 1:16 twist. I actually can't quite tell just how ultimately accurate it may be, since none of my AR triggers are light enough to maximize it.CMMGupper.jpg- OS
Thank you sir! I don't need 1 moa accuracy per se, but it's good to know they're plenty accurate enough. I've got a 10/22 with quite a bit of work done that I'd consider a bench rifle for all the super accurate stuff. I know these uppers are spring operated instead of gas, I guess they put the gas blocks on to install a from BUIS? Edited by KKing
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1048049" timestamp="1381707462"] If you already have the lower covered, you're probably better off going with a dedicated upper.[/quote]I tend to buy 2 or 3 at a time if I order, that way I save on shipping/transfer/background check monies. Actually only gave around $40 for this polymer lower, so even if I spend $400 on an upper, I'll still feel alright about it Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
....Thank you sir! I don't need 1 moa accuracy per se, but it's good to know they're plenty accurate enough. I've got a 10/22 with quite a bit of work done that I'd consider a bench rifle for all the super accurate stuff. I know these uppers are spring operated instead of gas, I guess they put the gas blocks on to install a from BUIS?

Yeah, the block is really just there to hold a front sight and the cap for the rifle length handguard.

Didn't come with sights, so I put Magpul polymer ones on it, including the front, since the block doesn't get hot. I keep this in bag with a full 5.56 AR, and swap the quick detach bipod off it onto this one sometimes. I'm thinking I might give it its own lower at some point, with a souped up trigger.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I want the HK 416 22LR:

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/?page=416-d145rs

Pistol is cool, too.

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=416-pistol

I would reconsider. They are not as good as the CMMG or most other 22 uppers. Their bolt hold open doesn't work. The safety isn't like a standard AR. And finally you cannot swap out most parts because they are proprietary. I have read articles about their pot metal, yes pot metal, receivers breaking.

I can go a lot lighter. It just that it takes more than 10 minutes to do. I have done a lot that were well under 3 pounds and reliable.

So say if I were to use that polymer lower strictly for the 22lr upper, you might help a brother out? With compensation, of course

I can go a lot lighter. It just that it takes more than 10 minutes to do. I have done a lot that were well under 3 pounds and reliable.

They're just perfect for a 5.56 "battle" rifle, but may take ya up on that for one dedicated to the .22LR.

Once the TGO lower comes in, gonna dump the polymer one on pistol, and I also have a spare PSA aluminum one I never built either.

- OS

[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1048296" timestamp="1381763684"] Not a lot I can do with the polymer FCG's but if you go to steel I can help you out.[/quote]Yeah it's just a steel FCG. I saw where they sell complete lowers with polymer parts, always seemed kinda janky to me. No offense of course to anyone that runs them, just not my thing. Edited by KKing

I have a CMMG 20" government profile upper (http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22b6a17.htm) and have been pretty pleased with its performance. I've probably only put 300-500 rounds through it due to the ammo shortage, but it hasn't had any FTE / FTFs. I'll second Oh Shoots comments on accuracy, mine seems pretty dead on with a Bushmaster detachable carry handle rear sight and stock a2 front sight. I haven't mounted any oprtics (yet).

The rest of the rifle is an Omni polymer lower with a CMMG parts kit that seems to play nicely together.

Edited by M1_Garand

Yeah it's just a steel FCG. I saw where they sell complete lowers with polymer parts, always seemed kinda janky to me. No offense of course to anyone that runs them, just not my thing.

I have been running a polymer FCG for a while now without any issues. The trigger pull is heavy but other than that they are great triggers. There is ZERO creep in them.

I've got a CMMG upper.  When  i first got it a 4" group was the best i could get regardless of ammo.  Come to find out, my barrel had a bad crown.   I contacted CMMG.  They recrowned the barrel and now all is good.  With the right ammo i can easily get <1" at 50 yds.  Bulk stuff will group in the 2" range.  In spite of the bad crown on the barrel, I am pleased with my upper and would recommend them to anyone looking for one.