NFL makes stadiums “Gun free zones�

DaveTN

Guest Keal G Seo

I'd like to know what that law in TX is. As far as I know that is a private organization that has the right to refuse service to anyone so I would think if they put it on the tickets (to inform at the point of sale) they could do it. Any idea on what law it is referring to?

I'd like to know what that law in TX is. As far as I know that is a private organization that has the right to refuse service to anyone so I would think if they put it on the tickets (to inform at the point of sale) they could do it. Any idea on what law it is referring to?

Penal Code Title 7 Chapter 30.05 Criminal Trespass

This section does not apply if:

(1)  the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and

(2)  the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.

One of the comments makes the point that typically the NFL stadiums are primarily built with tax funds, I wonder if who owns the stadium would play into how this can be enforced?

Highly unlikely based on the tax structure. The vast majority of stadiums are financed through hotel occupancy and car rental taxes. Some are financed via bonds; food and beverage taxes; sales tax or on ticket sales.

From my GSIII using TPR now Free

While I think it is wrong that cops have more carry rights than members of the military, as well as law-abiding citizens, the NFL just took another step towards stupid. At least having cops inside with guns is better than no one having them. Military and LE who put their lives on the line every day to protect the country and it's citizens are obviously a huge threat to society. Stupid.

Here is a fun question...  Is the stadium covered under 39-17-1311?  And if so, can carry be prohibited there under state law since the state government owns part of the stadium?  Not that I would suggest testing that legal theory, but it's an interesting thought.

Went to the Titans and Chiefs game last week and the security and body wands were a little crazy. I think it is easier getting on a plane! Way to go NFL!

DaveS

No, TSA will not use a "Body Wand", they have to fondle anyone who sets off a metal detector.  I have a card that shows I have had a total knee replacement, the scar to match, and TSA does the full rub down at any small airport that does not have a see-through scanner.  they say that the "Body Wands" are not reliable, and they do not use them any more...

Yep, the NFL is the latest to take a anti gun stance. Banning off duty cops from carrying.

Fine with me.  If they're not going to let ordinary law abiding citizens carry then I don't see why off duty LEO should get any special treatment.

Edited by BryanP

Here is a fun question...  Is the stadium covered under 39-17-1311?  And if so, can carry be prohibited there under state law since the state government owns part of the stadium?  Not that I would suggest testing that legal theory, but it's an interesting thought.

Interesting. I'd think it would. It's very much a building facility owned by the municipality and used for recreational purposes as decribed in (a ). As far as an HCP then being a way around it, you'd have to argue that LP Field fits under (b )(1 )(H ) as follows:

Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, except as otherwise provided in subsection (d)

I don't think it would count as a "similar public place" because access is restricted unlike any of those other listed places.

[/armchair lawyer]

I'm curious to see what others think.

Pedantic point - it's city owned, not state owned.

If you go back and look at the bill authorizing the expenditure it not only included the stadium itself but all the greenways down near the stadium...  Since Metro and the state own it, if it is a 'park' or 'other similar area' then Metro can't post it without approval from the state legislature.

I disagree it's city owned, the state coughed up a bunch of funding for the stadium and surrounding parks, and had some ownership stake in the stadium and surrounding land under the agreement.  We'd have to dig way down into the weeds to see if it's legally binding under 39-17-1311.

Would be funny if because of laws authorizing the funding of the stadium in 1998, the state created a loophole which would prevent the stadium and the surrounding lands to be covered under 39-17-1311, and by extension unable to prohibit HCP permit holders from carrying.

Interesting. I'd think it would. It's very much a building facility owned by the municipality and used for recreational purposes as decribed in (a ). As far as an HCP then being a way around it, you'd have to argue that LP Field fits under (b )(1 )(H ) as follows:

I don't think it would count as a "similar public place" because access is restricted unlike any of those other listed places.

[/armchair lawyer]

I'm curious to see what others think.

Pedantic point - it's city owned, not state owned.

Guest TankerHC
St. Louis, Oakland and Tampa Bay have nothing to worry about. People have to actually be at the stadium before you can restrict them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

You can bet one thing. If NASCAR ever tries that no carry rule they won't have any spectators at any of the races.............. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rock: :rock:

no issue with carry at say Bristol?  never even thought about it, but my wife wants to go to at least 1 race.

(BTW on topic, in 2015 at Bristol there is going to be a big football game,  wonder if carry will be stopped for that.)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9798774/tennessee-volunteers-play-virginia-tech-hokies-bristol-motor-speedway-2016

Wife informed me we may go to that.