Got my rattle can fix and no i'm not into huffing paint.

Luke E.

Well that's just about any rifle after having a mag put through it. The ones I see change pink had a lot of ammo put through them quickly. For example, putting a couple hundred rounds through it over the course of the day might not change it, but putting a couple hundred rounds over the course of a few minutes might. I see it on MG barrels always. Seen some geniuses spraying truck mounted crew served to include the barrel and just turn it pink after a belt. That's a much different level of hot compared to a little gas block burn.

Only time shall tell then I suppose

Krylon, and pretty much any spray paint, becomes very durable with time. I painted my wife's 9mm AR and when I tried to remove it 5 years later it was more than just wiping it down with acetone or using carb cleaner. I disassembled it and wrapped it in paper towels then put all that in a large bag. Then I poured about a 1/2 gallon of acetone in the bag and sealed it. Then I set it out in the hot summer sun for a day. And even then there were some places that were difficult to get the paint off. I know that when you bake Krylon it becomes as durable as well.

If I am needing something black I use chalkboard paint from Walmart. After baking it is very, very durable and dare I say even more durable than Duracoat. The chalkboard paint has something in it to help it stand up to chalk and that seems to contribute to its durability.

I will never use anything but rattle cans for painting my guns. It is cheap and easy to fix. And if I change my mind it is cheaper and easier to get off the gun.

When I paint my guns I use flats, semi glos and gloss because not every leaf you see in nature is a flat green color. I think it gives the gun some depth too.

Krylon, and pretty much any spray paint, becomes very durable with time. I painted my wife's 9mm AR and when I tried to remove it 5 years later it was more than just wiping it down with acetone or using carb cleaner. I disassembled it and wrapped it in paper towels then put all that in a large bag. Then I poured about a 1/2 gallon of acetone in the bag and sealed it. Then I set it out in the hot summer sun for a day. And even then there were some places that were difficult to get the paint off. I know that when you bake Krylon it becomes as durable as well.

If I am needing something black I use chalkboard paint from Walmart. After baking it is very, very durable and dare I say even more durable than Duracoat. The chalkboard paint has something in it to help it stand up to chalk and that seems to contribute to its durability.

I will never use anything but rattle cans for painting my guns. It is cheap and easy to fix. And if I change my mind it is cheaper and easier to get off the gun.

When I paint my guns I use flats, semi glos and gloss because not every leaf you see in nature is a flat green color. I think it gives the gun some depth too.

Yep, touching up is easy enough. I wanted to go run it yesterday afternoon but I made myself wait to let if cure more before heating it up for the 1st time. I've painted some high heat items before and it has always worked better with several days of curing time.

I've never used the chalkboard paint before yet I have a can of it in the shed at home (not sure where it came from). I can see where if it will hold up to chalk being raked back and forth across it then it should hold up to most things a rifle endures unless it see's a lot of hard use.

I don't particularly care for the gloss paint on them but after the fact I wished that I had used a satin green to make it stand out a bit more. I might would have but they didn't offer that in the store I was in.

Btw, i'll try to give you a call sometime this afternoon and tell you what I figured out was wrong causing me to get such poor bullets out of that 155gr AK mold. I think we were both right but I don't think we expected it to be as extreme as it turned out.

Give me a call again. I figured something out too that might help, seemed to help me.

I will be up until about 11pm.

I just saw this, I've got a Dr. appointment tomorrow morning so i'll try to catch you while i'm on the road.

• 7 months later...

Hey Luke, post from the past revival time. How did the paint hold up? I'm ready to paint mine and thought about this thread.

Excellent! It's been dragged over rocks and trees, slid around in the truck and all other manner of "bein' hard on shit" and it actually has held up way better than I really wanted it to. I like the "been used" look when it comes to spray paint but it has held it's own. Right around the ejection port and just below it whare the upper and lower meat there are places that the paint looks a little darker than the rest because of lube getting on it and then the rifle getting hot as hell and baking it on there but I would say it looks very close to the original pictures. I can't vouch for how well other brands of paint would hold up but this one is spectacular. I probably still have enough to spray the rifle again if I wanted and I've used it for other stuff since then as well.

• Like 1

Excellent! It's been dragged over rocks and trees, slid around in the truck and all other manner of "bein' hard on ####" and it actually has held up way better than I really wanted it to. I like the "been used" look when it comes to spray paint but it has held it's own. Right around the ejection port and just below it whare the upper and lower meat there are places that the paint looks a little darker than the rest because of lube getting on it and then the rifle getting hot as hell and baking it on there but I would say it looks very close to the original pictures. I can't vouch for how well other brands of paint would hold up but this one is spectacular. I probably still have enough to spray the rifle again if I wanted and I've used it for other stuff since then as well.

That is good to know. I'm not sold on which brand to go with, was leaning more against the Kryon Fusion for the plastic (at least the base coat) and Rustoleum for the rest? But you said Magic is the name of the paint you used?

That is good to know. I'm not sold on which brand to go with, was leaning more against the Kryon Fusion for the plastic (at least the base coat) and Rustoleum for the rest? But you said Magic is the name of the paint you used?

I believe that's right. It's whatever brand TSC carries now. It is a very flat paint as well so there is no reflection whatsoever which I liked. Any day you're going to be in the boro i'd be happy to throw it in the truck for you to put your eyes on or maybe even one day I will have a day off to hit the range with you again.. This 10-12hrs per day 7days, a week business is starting to work on me. This weekend is shot but I was hoping that the next weekend was going to be open and found out today that i'm probably putting in an HVAC unit that Saturday.. I'm holding out hope that it will only take 3-4hrs though  :x:

Well, I was in Walmart tonight and went ahead and picked up 3 cans of flat camo Rustoleum. Probably jump on it this weekend if I can sneak out in the garage for a few hours. I was going to clean everything with brake cleaner (I clean it with it regularly) but don't want to use it on the plastic. Acetone or denatured alchool, much difference in the two as far as cleaning the plastic parts?

Well, I was in Walmart tonight and went ahead and picked up 3 cans of flat camo Rustoleum. Probably jump on it this weekend if I can sneak out in the garage for a few hours. I was going to clean everything with brake cleaner (I clean it with it regularly) but don't want to use it on the plastic. Acetone or denatured alchool, much difference in the two as far as cleaning the plastic parts?

I used 3M brake parts cleaner on everything that I painted which was everything from the muzzle brake to the stock ;) so if you're worried about it harming the plastic bits I can tell you that it didn't hurt mine. Anything that dries and doesn't leave a residue should work though.

I used 3M brake parts cleaner on everything that I painted which was everything from the muzzle brake to the stock ;) so if you're worried about it harming the plastic bits I can tell you that it didn't hurt mine. Anything that dries and doesn't leave a residue should work though.

Oh okay. I just worried it might eat through the plastic, but hell, I know I've had some get on the plastic in my cleaning process. I guess I'll just roll on with that since I already have a ton of it. I can't wait.....yes I can...I can't wait till after the first spray is sprayed and get that over with! HA HA 

Oh okay. I just worried it might eat through the plastic, but hell, I know I've had some get on the plastic in my cleaning process. I guess I'll just roll on with that since I already have a ton of it. I can't wait.....yes I can...I can't wait till after the first spray is sprayed and get that over with! HA HA

May I suggest having your wife or daughter did the first spray? Once you get past that you're golden but I swear it's like tryin to get the nerve to jump off a waterfall into really cold water to make that first move.
  • Like 1

May I suggest having your wife or daughter did the first spray? Once you get past that you're golden but I swear it's like tryin to get the nerve to jump off a waterfall into really cold water to make that first move.

That's a good idea! Haha. I'm actually pretty excited with that little bit of "I hope it turns out like I see it in my head." But the good thing is, I can always change it. I used to never think about that solid black blob standing out in the woods, but now, every picture I see with a black AR it stands out like crazy and I understand what used to sound ridiculous to me. Edited by rugerla1

That's a good idea! Haha. I'm actually pretty excited with that little bit of "I hope it turns out like I see it in my head." But the good thing is, I can always change it. I used to never think about that solid black blob standing out in the woods, but now, every picture I see with a black AR it stands out like crazy and I understand what used to sound ridiculous to me.

I had some scrap lumber and a few pieces of scrap sheet metal laying around and used them to kind of test how close to hold the can and how quick to move across it. Also if you are planning to use any leaves, limbs, netting, ect.. as "stencils" it would be good to try it out first. I tried laying the cedar branches on mine and painting of it but that didn't work well at all. I ended up holding the branch or whatever in my hand about 2-3" away from the rifle and the can another 8" back from that +/-. You may have different results depending on what you use but should give you a general idea. 

Oh yea, quick short bursts will leave you the smoothest finish.