Got my rattle can fix and no i'm not into huffing paint.

Luke E.

I've been looking into having a couple of rifles ceracoated but wasn't completely sure what I wanted. Rather than spend the money to have something done that I wasn't sure about I decided to take it into my own hands. I bought $10 worth of flat camo paint (used less than half), grabbed some cedar trimmings and a scrap of hardware cloth and went to it. I will admit that it was hard to pull the trigger on the paint so I closed my eyes and made a quick pass. Once there was some paint on the rifle it got really easy. Here are a few pics,

[URL=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/lukeduke_03/media/fe8f3073-c323-4189-bfd4-49745dab95c8.jpg.html]fe8f3073-c323-4189-bfd4-49745dab95c8.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/lukeduke_03/media/Mohawkpaint4.jpg.html]Mohawkpaint4.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/lukeduke_03/media/Mohawkpaint2.jpg.html]Mohawkpaint2.jpg[/URL]

• Like 3

Will do. I was told with a little time and acetone that it could return to a black rifle. I will probably hold off painting another one until I know for sure. I don't intend to sell any of my guns but would like to be able to if life absolutely necessitates it. Only thing that I wish I had done different is to have gone with Green as the base rather than the FDE but I didn't think through that as well as I should have I guess. I do like it though.

Looks like a coyote killing machine now! Although I don't think I want to be sitting beside you with that brake you have on!!! Might knock the call outta my hand!

Haha. I'll put a piece of that foil air duct work tape over whichever side your on..

Looks pretty good to me. And I don't usually like camo'd rifles.

I wouldn't have done it had I not wanted them to blend better in the woods. Now after the fact I rather like the look of it. Like I said above though, I really wish I had gone with the green as a base because I never hunt in the desert.

Did you use clear over it? If not I'd suggest the krylon "ultra flat" clear (I believe is the name) just for a little extra insurance. What paint did you use on it?

No I haven't cleared it yet but that is on purpose. I kinda like the weathered and used look so I'll prolly let it ride for a bit like it is. For paint I used some from TSC. They used to carry Valspar but have switched to a new brand (I like it a lot better). If I remember correctly the brand name is Magic but the cans are at our warehouse so I can't run and check. They had 5 or 6 colors in the flat camo paint section.

No I haven't cleared it yet but that is on purpose. I kinda like the weathered and used look so I'll prolly let it ride for a bit like it is. For paint I used some from TSC. They used to carry Valspar but have switched to a new brand (I like it a lot better). If I remember correctly the brand name is Magic but the cans are at our warehouse so I can't run and check. They had 5 or 6 colors in the flat camo paint section.

Got ya, I was hoping maybe you used Aervoe since that's what I'm going to use in a couple weeks. Looks good man!

I can totally understand the part about being hard to start spraying, I would be the same way. That being said, I think it turned out sweet, very nice job!!! I hope the paint holds up good for you. I would love to do that to mine, it's barely even broken in so it would definitely be hard to let that first mist of paint fly. But who knows, once I start thinking about doing something, I just wake up one day, buy the stuff, and hammer down. Lol 

I can totally understand the part about being hard to start spraying, I would be the same way. That being said, I think it turned out sweet, very nice job!!! I hope the paint holds up good for you. I would love to do that to mine, it's barely even broken in so it would definitely be hard to let that first mist of paint fly. But who knows, once I start thinking about doing something, I just wake up one day, buy the stuff, and hammer down. Lol

Well that rifle is broken in as far as round count goes but it didn't have a blemish on it. I just decided that since I buy guns for my enjoyment and not for the next man's, I would do to it whatever I wanted lol. Now before someone goes out and just starts spraying their guns I will say that I had several pieces of painted base moulding I pulled out of the house during the remodel and I practiced with branches, twigs and everything painting on them first. Then I moved up to a couple GI mags and then I started on the gun. I watched some YouTube videos and thought that looks easy enough but I am really glad that I practiced on other stuff first. There's nothing hard about it but figuring out close or far to hold the twigs and what not away when spraying to get the desired results took a little playing around. The way that I did mine ended up that the base color is 90% of the paint with the remaining being the green accents. I did enjoy it for sure though.
  • Like 2

Well that rifle is broken in as far as round count goes but it didn't have a blemish on it. I just decided that since I buy guns for my enjoyment and not for the next man's, I would do to it whatever I wanted lol. Now before someone goes out and just starts spraying their guns I will say that I had several pieces of painted base moulding I pulled out of the house during the remodel and I practiced with branches, twigs and everything painting on them first. Then I moved up to a couple GI mags and then I started on the gun. I watched some YouTube videos and thought that looks easy enough but I am really glad that I practiced on other stuff first. There's nothing hard about it but figuring out close or far to hold the twigs and what not away when spraying to get the desired results took a little playing around. The way that I did mine ended up that the base color is 90% of the paint with the remaining being the green accents. I did enjoy it for sure though.

Well, I won't lie, as soon as I responded here, I pulled up about 15 different YouTube videos on it. Cory & Erika did a good one on it too. I'm very interested in it. I've noticed that one of the differences between people painting their AR's, is that some paint the barrel, and some don't. I'm sure it's because they are concerned with the heat messing up the paint. This is of course a concern for me as I think about it, but most feedback said that it held up fine. 

Well, I won't lie, as soon as I responded here, I pulled up about 15 different YouTube videos on it. Cory & Erika did a good one on it too. I'm very interested in it. I've noticed that one of the differences between people painting their AR's, is that some paint the barrel, and some don't. I'm sure it's because they are concerned with the heat messing up the paint. This is of course a concern for me as I think about it, but most feedback said that it held up fine.

It depends how much you shoot and what type of paint you use. I've seen folks krylon their rifle to include the barrel, and after a few hundred rounds on the range their barrel turns pink and stays pink.

I saw their video and it seemed to turn out decent. I noticed that most that didn't paint the barrel also seemed to have pulled the rifle apart and painted parts. I figured if it start burning it off i will just strip the barrel. I liked the painted look myself.

It depends how much you shoot and what type of paint you use. I've seen folks krylon their rifle to include the barrel, and after a few hundred rounds on the range their barrel turns pink and stays pink.

I will report back after I get it good and hot but it anything permanent happens, that will be when I head to the Ceracoat guys place!

I will report back after I get it good and hot but it anything permanent happens, that will be when I head to the Ceracoat guys place!

Yeah, I'm not sure how easy it is to strip the paint once it's been heated up, but you could always go with a higher temp paint or ceracoat if it doesn't turn out. With the price/scarcity of ammo now I doubt you'll be doing a half dozen mag dumps to get it that hot anyway.

That particular gun fairly regularly gets heated to the point that a quick bump of the hand against the gas block or barrel will blister it so if it can be burnt, I will know within the week. Usually is harder to find the high temp paints in the colors one would want to paint a rifle. I'm sure there is some to be ordered somewhere but I totally grabbed this paint while buying a can of black to paint our salt water boats trailer axles so I didn't put an abundance of time into research. I wasn't sceeered  :usa:

• Like 1

That particular gun fairly regularly gets heated to the point that a quick bump of the hand against the gas block or barrel will blister it so if it can be burnt, I will know within the week. Usually is harder to find the high temp paints in the colors one would want to paint a rifle. I'm sure there is some to be ordered somewhere but I totally grabbed this paint while buying a can of black to paint our salt water boats trailer axles so I didn't put an abundance of time into research. I wasn't sceeered :usa:

Well that's just about any rifle after having a mag put through it. The ones I see change pink had a lot of ammo put through them quickly. For example, putting a couple hundred rounds through it over the course of the day might not change it, but putting a couple hundred rounds over the course of a few minutes might. I see it on MG barrels always. Seen some geniuses spraying truck mounted crew served to include the barrel and just turn it pink after a belt. That's a much different level of hot compared to a little gas block burn.