Tell me what you think about 1022 accuracy

graycrait

This was my first card with the pictured 1022.  It is again:

Used heavy taper green mountain barrel (you can buy these new when available for 89.00)
Used DSP OEM stock opened up for heavy barrel probably worth 100.00
OEM receiver and OEM bolt probably retail 160
Craig trigger probably 100.00 
Simmons Whitetail Classic scope on sale for 100.00

So you can see that this is not real expensive but it ain't free.

target_zps81aa243a.jpg

CraigsBlueTwin_zpsd63317c4.jpg
  • Like 1

One of these days I am going to get a stock 1022, have it rechambered and crowned by Que in Huntsville for 55.00 then have the bolt trued up for another 35.00 and commence to shoot groups.  I'll bet it will shoot as well as any 1022 that has 800.00+ sunk into it.  

Couple of issues shooting groups with a light semi auto:

You need a heavy rest with a stop you can push the forearm up against.

You can't let if "free recoil" because with a semi auto this upsets your next shot, quite unlike a bolt gun.  You need to "hold" the 1022 comparatively firmly.

The stock Ruger barrels are good barrels with a loose chamber to allow any 8 yr old to shoot 20 year old ammo they found lying on the floor of the barn.  Have the chamber recut and shoot target ammo and you will see a significant difference.

Experiment with barrel dampening with inner tubes material or closed cell foam under the barrel.

Pay attention to the torque value of the V-block that holds the barrel to the receiver and to the bolt that holds the receiver to the stock,.

Some ammo simply will not produce groups.  Remington Thunderbolt might be a fun ammo when shooting "beverage" cans, but it is patently inconsistent.

Yeah, I realize I could doll one up to get beau coup more accuracy, but doubt if I'll ever really chase groups. But I do enjoy reading about all the custom stuff you do with them, and used to spend a good bit of time over on RF Central, too.

Mine two will do pretty reliable 5 shot 2" or so groups at 50 yards off just bipods if I do everything correctly and hold my mouth right, with just CCI Blazer, once in a while I might get closer to 1" if I shoot enough groups :)

They're both stock internally 'cept for Volquartsen hammers and extractors; one has bolt release mod and KIDD charging handle now, but only the hammers are really contributing to better accuracy than just a stock model, I reckon.

But I'll probably always be just mostly a plinker. I shoot 'em at 100 yards too, but strive for no more precision than substituting the bottom point of the vertical reticule on the 3-9 scopes nstead of cross hairs, to chew up center of paper plate or hit a tin can or clay most every time. Cheap Bushnell scopes also.

One looks pretty mean, though, I call it my NBR (Naughty Black Rifle) or TRE (Tactical Rodent Eradicator).  :)

1022-tac-2.jpg

The other is just conventional, with Hogue overmold:

1022-ss.jpg

I've since changed the scope mount to Weaver on that one, damn thing would never stay locked in place, though not as bad as my Marlin 60.

Oddly, even though can't do a real cheek weld on the NBR, I shoot it about as well as the conventional stocked one.

Both are more accurate than my CMMG dedicated AR upper, though the stock trigger on the AR lower may contribute to a good bit of the difference. I guess if all I mostly shot was .22LR I might delve a bit more into them for accuracy, but shoot a bunch of other stuff too, so probably never will.

- OS

Anyone have any experience with the Ruger 1022 "Takedown" models, as far as accuracy is concerned? Once sighted in, does taking it down and putting it back together a few times change the accuracy? Anyone got one? If so, what do you think about it (the design and functionality), and do you think it fills the bill for what Ruger designed it to do?

oops! scroll down to the one for the takedown 1022, now that is a tidy package, but unless you have suppressed SBR Teakdown 1022 the forward part/barrel, etc is going to be at least 18" or so to accommodate the 16" barrel and the rest of takedown linkage.