Just what I was looking for. Havent done it before. AR Lower Assembly.

Guest TankerHC

You don't have to follow it in that order but that is rather thorough either way, though, this vid makes it look WAY easier than it is on your first try. One thing I may suggest for the small roll pins such as the bolt catch pin is to use a set of pliers, like a slip joint, wrapping the points of contact in duct tape or electrical tape so as to not mar or damage the surface plus, this can be done with one set of hands. Another trick for install of the front take down pin is to use a flat piece of steel like a razor blade, I however use a puddy knife, same effect minus the hazzard of cutting myself as I'm a clutz.

Edited by whitewolf001

I built my first lower with no problems whatsoever. I picked up an excellent book by Walt something (can't remember the name offhand) and it had lots of pics along with easy to follow instructions. I'm really not that mechanically inclined, but it was super easy. I did have the right tools.....the roll pin punches and roll pin starter punches really make a difference. When it comes time to install the little springs that can launch on you, I used a big clear plastic bag (it was one of those bags that quilts and comforters come in) and although I launched the detent spring three times before I got it in right, I didn't lose it!

My advice to someone building their first lower: Don't be intimidated, get the right tools and some good instructions and you'll have a working lower in 2-3 hours. Good luck!

• Like 2

Pay very close attention to how the hammer spring goes onto the hammer. I have worked on a number of guns that were having light strike issues and they all had the hammer spring backwards. Something else to make sure to do it put the legs of the hammer spring on the trigger pin. The hammer spring legs hold the trigger pin in place.

The best way to hold the front detent down is a razor.

Also, I drill and tap the rear takedown detent hole for a 4-40 set screw. You shorten the spring and it will remain captured by the setscrew. That way you don't loose the detent when changing stocks.

They are SERIOUS about supporting the bottom of the trigger guard as you hammer in the roll pin. There are a lot of lowers out there with broken ears because it wasn't supported properly. It is the only part that really scares me, even today. I normally get it started then use a vice to finish.

They are SERIOUS about supporting the bottom of the trigger guard as you hammer in the roll pin. There are a lot of lowers out there with broken ears because it wasn't supported properly. It is the only part that really scares me, even today. I normally get it started then use a vice to finish.

Another reason to get a billet, lol. ;)

I found this feller's two vids to be as handy as any for putting one together, uses the two most handy tricks (razor knife for pivot pin spring/detente, supporting ears for trigger guard pin), etc.

I did three in this exact way, no real drama, without vise block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

My only additional suggestion, anytime you're messing with springs, work inside a big transparent plastic bag!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a 1/4 adjustable clevis pin for front spring/detent it works awesome. $2 a TSC if you don't have one laying around like I did. Works like "special" tool made for the job.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-adjustable-clevis-pin-1-4-in-s175003tsc-pack-of-2

I second this one.  I got mine at Ace Hardware for less than $2.  Lowe's has them as well.  They keep them in those drawers of specialty hardware.  Step-by-step here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/362116_.html

Also, I drill and tap the rear takedown detent hole for a 4-40 set screw. You shorten the spring and it will remain captured by the setscrew. That way you don't loose the detent when changing stocks.

That's a good idea for somebody that changes stocks.

I use a 1/4 adjustable clevis pin for front spring/detent it works awesome. $2 a TSC if you don't have one laying around like I did. Works like "special" tool made for the job.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-adjustable-clevis-pin-1-4-in-s175003tsc-pack-of-2

Well thanks a lot!, I've never had any trouble with this before but now that I know there is the potential if I choose not to take precautions I will certainly loose a spring and detent..  :rofl:

Anyways, that's a great idea!