What Do You Hunt With Your Ruger MK lll Hunter? Show & Tell!

Sidewinder

Just got my Ruger MK lll Hunter, and haven't had a chance to do any "hunting" with it. Just curious about those of you that have had one for awhile...what have you hunted with it... and did it do the job you expected it to do? We all know it will punch holes in paper... but, will it put the meat on the table? Tell us your "hunting" stories...the successful ones, and the not so successful ones...sometimes there's a bit of humor in these! We've all heard fish stories about the big one that got away. how about the Ruger MK lll stories... let's hear 'em.

I really enjoy going squirrel hunting with my (Mark III Target). I am still on the look out for a hunter at a reasonable price, if there is such a thing anymore? I'm not a very good shot but I get lots of practice being patient and quiet.

I took a few squirrels last year and here is a pic I posted before but seems relevant to the topic at hand.

C360_2013-02-11-10-01-37_org_zps955cf856

I haven't had time to hit the woods this fall but am looking forward to it as soon as work slows down.

To answer some more of your questions.

It is much more accurate than me but I am more accurate with it than any of my other pistols.

It did put meat on the table as well.

Edited by swim615

I really enjoy going squirrel hunting with my (Mark III Target). I am still on the look out for a hunter at a reasonable price, if there is such a thing anymore? I'm not a very good shot but I get lots of practice being patient and quiet.

I took a few squirrels last year and here is a pic I posted before but seems relevant to the topic at hand.

C360_2013-02-11-10-01-37_org_zps955cf856

I haven't had time to hit the woods this fall but am looking forward to it as soon as work slows down.

To answer some more of your questions.

It is much more accurate than me but I am more accurate with it than any of my other pistols.

It did put meat on the table as well.

I like that pic! A Hunter at a reasonable price... now that may be a challenge! Hunting may be better (easier) after the leaves fall.

I have popped a few squirrels with a Mk II as well, before my eyesight went south.

Nowadays, I just hunt  for .22 LRs.  The rounds are harder to come by than squirrels are.

They are hard to find on the shelves. I have picked up a few bricks by being number one in line at Wally World...but almost feel guilty when I shoot them! Can you hunt squirrels with a rimfire on the WMAs?

Trying to figure this out. There has only been 6 replies. Does that mean there are only 6 people on TGO that own the Ruger MK lll Hunter, or that only 6 people hunt something other than paper with theirs? Or... are people shy about talking about their "small game" hunting experiences, these days? Come on folks... I want to hear the one about the guy that killed an 800 pound bear with his MK lll Hunter, while squirrel hunting! Naturally, the bear was on the attack, so it was in self defense!

I killt a old washing machine with a Mark III. It was DRT.  I didn't get to keep either the innerds or the Mark III cuz they belonged to somebody else. 

I found the gun to be reasonable accurate.  Had no problem hitting the washer. 

I hunted pretty much everything with my old MKII government, squirrels, rabbits, a couple of raccoons, a possum that got in the house once, loads of groundhogs.  I mostly shoot an old Browning Challenger III now.  I still think the Ruger MKIII is probably still the go to new .22 pistol, personally though from all of the ones I have owned and or shot none of them could hold a candle to the MKII's that I owned.  My suggestion to someone buying unless it just has to be new then look for an old MKII government or if you want a real nail driver look for a MKII 10" bull.

Edited by trevorst

I killt a old washing machine with a Mark III. It was DRT.  I didn't get to keep either the innerds or the Mark III cuz they belonged to somebody else. 

I found the gun to be reasonable accurate.  Had no problem hitting the washer. 

You've got to watch them... I hear they can be pretty stealthy...they don't make a sound for you to hear them. I've also heard they are impossible to call in...even with a Primos call. I heard that one is the limit at most hunting places. They say a taxidermist won't touch them...so you can just forget the wall mount. Bet they don't taste like chicken either.

• Like 1

I hunted pretty much everything with my old MKII government, squirrels, rabbits, a couple of raccoons, a possum that got in the house once, loads of groundhogs.  I mostly shoot an old Browning Challenger III now.  I still think the Ruger MKIII is probably still the go to new .22 pistol, personally though from all of the ones I have owned and or shot none of them could hold a candle to the MKII's that I owned.  My suggestion to someone buying unless it just has to be new then look for an old MKII government or if you want a real nail driver look for a MKII 10" bull.

Trevorst, I'm lucky enough to have one of the MK lls also. Mine is a 6" bull barrel Target model. So far, the only thing I've killed with it is some bark spots on a tree, and some spots on a dead tree log. Haven't had it long, but really like it. Did you carry yours in a holster in the woods, or just stuffed into a hunting coat/vest? Mine has the adjustable rear sight, but is not drilled for a scope mount.

Trevorst, I'm lucky enough to have one of the MK lls also. Mine is a 6" bull barrel Target model. So far, the only thing I've killed with it is some bark spots on a tree, and some spots on a dead tree log. Haven't had it long, but really like it. Did you carry yours in a holster in the woods, or just stuffed into a hunting coat/vest? Mine has the adjustable rear sight, but is not drilled for a scope mount.

My 10" bull I would just carry (it was more accurate than most .22 rifles lol).  I always holstered the Govt. models, mine went on pretty much every hunting trip I ever went on back then (it provided the finishing shot on tons of critters lol).

Anyone ever been sitting in a blind, ground or tree-stand, and have ole Wiley Coyote come walking by...whereupon your trusty Ruger Std., MKl, MKll, or MKlll gave him a dirt nap? If there's any "bayou boys" out there, I'll bet someone has used one of these fine firearms to whack a gator! Anybody got any pics of their interesting game that they took with their Ruger .22LR pistols?

Yeah it was the original all black hard plastic. The grip mod was probably the best decision I ever made for that gun.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I'd be interested to hear more about how the grip mod was done. I have one just like it with the fixed grips. Thanks.

This should give you an idea http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuE9JVw_R4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSPuE9JVw_R4 I sent mine off to someone to have it done that has worked on rugers for years. Didn't have the guts to do it myself.

Thanks for the link Mdunntn. I watched enough of it to realize it was above my paygrade too! I got the heebie jeebies just thinking what I could do with one slip of that Dremmel tool! Is there in frame nuts so that you can change out the grips if you want to? Is the cost reasonable, or is it something you'd rather not disclose? They sure look good, though. Thanks.

The guy I used I think charges $50 but he's out of state and he does take awhile to get it done. His work quality is top notch though. I can give you his contact info if you want.

Price sounds reasonable enough. Thanks for the offer of providing the contact information, but I think I'll just leave mine original for now. I have three other Rugers, a Standard, MK ll Target, and a MK lll Hunter, so I'm thinking about trading this one.

• Like 1