ar upper

gomer pyle

i am looking at getting a short barreled upper(as a pistol for now). my plans are for a sbr in the future, so i am looking at 10". i am looking for opinions on what brand. i like the lwrc m6a2 but it is out of my price range. right now i am looking at dd mk18 and larue stealth 12". any opinions about these two? or is the any others i should consider? any good quality,  cheaper options? i don't plan on a suppressor but would like to keep that option in mind just in case.

thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. .223/5.56

If it were me (and it's not) and the end game was an SBR then I would go with the 12" rather than 10". .223/5.56 loses a lot of steam when you dip down that low but if you're not going to be looking for the extra energy it won't really matter I guess. Calibers such as the 300blk or 7.62x39 lend themselves better to shorter barrels while still maintaining decent energy. This is just my   :2cents:  and i'm sure there are others that have a different opinion but I would say that you might be well served to look at the numbers for the different barrel lengths before choosing. This is all assuming that you haven't already done this.

If it were me (and it's not) and the end game was an SBR then I would go with the 12" rather than 10". .223/5.56 loses a lot of steam when you dip down that low but if you're not going to be looking for the extra energy it won't really matter I guess. Calibers such as the 300blk or 7.62x39 lend themselves better to shorter barrels while still maintaining decent energy. This is just my   :2cents:  and i'm sure there are others that have a different opinion but I would say that you might be well served to look at the numbers for the different barrel lengths before choosing. This is all assuming that you haven't already done this.

^^^This.

If you plan on going to anything shorter than 12", go with a bigger caliber such as .300 or 6.8, 6.8 was actually designed with a SBR in mind for CQB room clearing. Not to mention super popular with hog hunters with it's good terminal ballistics.

thanks for the info. i didn't realize this. more decisions

thanks for the info. i didn't realize this. more decisions

If you have trouble finding the info you need just ask because I've found that no matter what question or issue I may have, there is always someone here that knows the answer or has had the same problem.
Btw Dolomite has a really good knowledge base as to what barrel lengths act like with certain calibers so if in doubt just shoot him a pm

If it were me (and it's not) and the end game was an SBR then I would go with the 12" rather than 10". .223/5.56 loses a lot of steam when you dip down that low ...

10.5 still has plenty of zap to make 5.56 do its thing. Here's chrono test I did not too long ago:

3 shot average 16" barrel vs 10.5" barrel:

Monarch 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2929  Pistol: 2611

Wolf WPA 55gr 223:
Rifle: 2872  Pistol: 2546

Tula 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2843  Pistol: 2612

Federal Bulk 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2840  Pistol: 2536

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

10.5 still has plenty of zap to make 5.56 do its thing. Here's chrono test I did not too long ago:

3 shot average 16" barrel vs 10.5" barrel:

Monarch 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2929  Pistol: 2611

Wolf WPA 55gr 223:
Rifle: 2872  Pistol: 2546

Tula 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2843  Pistol: 2612

Federal Bulk 55gr .223:
Rifle: 2840  Pistol: 2536

- OS

If it were me (and it's not) and the end game was an SBR then I would go with the 12" rather than 10". .223/5.56 loses a lot of steam when you dip down that low but if you're not going to be looking for the extra energy it won't really matter I guess. This is just my    :2cents:  and i'm sure there are others that have a different opinion .

.223 is already a pretty weak cartridge as for as energy is concerned and dropping  300fps, while not a huge percentage, only weakens it further IMO. Of course this would only matter to me if I were ever planning on punching holes in something besides paper. 

..... .223 is already a pretty weak cartridge as for as energy is concerned and dropping  300fps, while not a huge percentage, only weakens it further IMO. Of course this would only matter to me if I were ever planning on punching holes in something besides paper. 

It's how it behaves past the epidermis -- ft lb of energy is not the only consideration for effective lethality, ya know.

- OS

Very true, kinetic energy is just that; that's also why 5.7x28 is so popular, while it lacks mass it has speed which results in force.

And the behavior of the projectile,  which besides temp/permanent cavitation, is with sufficient speed tumbling and/or fragmentation.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot