NOW THATS HOME DEFENSE!

Guest jps37033

Guest jps37033

I have been ranting on and on about home defense and caliber..... Phew. I just shot my new 12g h&r full choke with a 5 shot turkey shot at a 10 visi target (the ones where you see the shot illuminated in green). I stood about 15-20 feet away (thats what I figure a home defense situation would be), and it blew the middle 4 inches plum out of the center!!!!!!

.45 who??? :panic:

Well, all i need is a good CC now. Dont think the 12g will hide too well :doh:

Oh, and to note~ The target was stusk to a 2" peice of fiberglass that was demolished about 5" around. I will upload some pics :D

Edited by jps37033
Added info-
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your choke is fine for buckshot. Buckshot is lead and it will deform going down the barrel and out of the choke. Steel shot will not and over time will wear your fixed choke out. As long as it is lead you should be fine.

Guest jps37033

"UPDATE"

I got up the nerve to shoot the 00 buckshot. Here are my findings

Dont ever break into someones house at the chance they may have a shotgun with 00 buckshot pointed at you! Crap my britches, that stuff is mean!

At 20 feet, it held a 5-6 inch pattern and nearly blew a complete hole through the board I shot at. It looked like I just unloaded a clip of .32 at it. Which it is .33 and has 9 pellets, so....

I'd take my chance with getting hit with a .45 over a 00buck any day, though I have no desire for even a .22.

Plus (i'm a dummy), after shooting the round, I looked at the box of remington ammo 00 buckshot - "May be used in any choke, but performs best in full choke models" :up:

And it was in bold letters. lol

Guest grimel
"UPDATE"

I got up the nerve to shoot the 00 buckshot. Here are my findings

Dont ever break into someones house at the chance they may have a shotgun with 00 buckshot pointed at you! Crap my britches, that stuff is mean!

At 20 feet, it held a 5-6 inch pattern and nearly blew a complete hole through the board I shot at. It looked like I just unloaded a clip of .32 at it. Which it is .33 and has 9 pellets, so....

I'd take my chance with getting hit with a .45 over a 00buck any day, though I have no desire for even a .22.

Well, you just gave the board the equivalent of a 32 machine pistol burst.

Guest jps37033
Well, you just gave the board the equivalent of a 32 machine pistol burst.

I likey alot..... :up:

And I wanted a handgun for home defense.... pphhhhh

Birdshot may look pretty sweet on paper, but it'll just piss off a BG. It just doesn't have the stopping power of buckshot.

Was watching "The First 48" on A&E one night. Had x-rays of a victim shot with birdshot. It wasn't pretty and he was very much dead. But, my HD shotgun has OO buck in it.

Guest Linoge

You know, I really need to invest in something that can throw out 00 buckshot at some point... which raises the invariable question of what make/model, but that is material for another thread.

Was watching "The First 48" on A&E one night. Had x-rays of a victim shot with birdshot. It wasn't pretty and he was very much dead. But, my HD shotgun has OO buck in it.

I'm not saying you cannot die from birdshot, but I personally know two people that were shot at very close range with birdshot as children that have nothing more than a scar to show for it.

I'll save you guys some trouble. The first response will be Remington 870, then about 20 people will agree. Then someone will say the Mossberg 500 is great too, but you can't go wrong with the 870. After about 16 more posts for the 870 someone will suggest the Benelli Nova, then 10 more 870 and someone will pop in and mention some FN shotgun.

I'll save you guys some trouble. The first response will be Remington 870, then about 20 people will agree. Then someone will say the Mossberg 500 is great too, but you can't go wrong with the 870. After about 16 more posts for the 870 someone will suggest the Benelli Nova, then 10 more 870 and someone will pop in and mention some FN shotgun.

FN does make a nice shotgun... It a shame the thread took so long to mention it. I wish I had one but the good old 870 functions. :D

You forgot the best one of all for home defense........

the Winchester 1300 Defender!! :D sorry...had to throw it in there :)

Mine's loaded like this: 2 00 buckshot, 1 slug, 1 00, 1 slug, 1 00, 1 slug.......no more bad guy

Edited by PackinMama