Asked "my" rep (Scott DesJarlais) about his 2A stance...

Hey, all. A few days ago, I shot a question off to my district's representative, Mr. Scott DesJarlais... I couldn't find out a whole lot about his stance on that glorious old Second Amendment, so I took a chance and emailed him. The response I got seems (and knowing politicians, surely is) rather canned/standardized, but it's still pleasing to me, overall.

His response:

"Dear Patrick,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding potential gun control legislation. I truly appreciate having the benefit of your views on this important issue.

It is hard to imagine anything more horrifying than the tragic shooting that occurred this past December at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As a parent with three school age children of my own, I join many other concerned parents in recognizing the need to create a safer learning environment in our schools. I believe that it is of the utmost importance for us to enact sensible measures to protect our children. However, I agree with a majority of Tennesseans in expressing my concern that the Obama administration and Senate Democrats are using this catastrophic event as a way to limit our Second Amendment rights.

An outright ban on certain types of firearms, as well as the implementation of universal background checks, does little to deter criminals who currently obtain firearms illegally. Instead of creating new overreaching federal statutes, the federal government needs to enforce the gun laws that already exist. Likewise, I simply cannot support any measure that infringes on our constitutional right to bear arms. I truly believe that after the Sandy Hook tragedy, Americans deserve a comprehensive and effective strategy to protect their families from such senseless acts. Unfortunately, the President has chosen to advance a political agenda that in the end will have little impact on stemming gun violence while further eroding the rights of law-abiding citizens.

The Second Amendment makes plain to criminals that their targets have the right to defend themselves, their families, and their property. If criminals already do not follow the law, gun-control legislation will only hinder the safety of law-abiding citizens. As a proud supporter of our Second Amendment, I intend to oppose any legislative effort to infringe upon our constitutionally guaranteed rights defined in the Second Amendment.

It is an honor and a privilege representing you and all of Tennessee's Fourth Congressional District. Please let me know if you have additional comments or question on this or any other legislative matter.

Sincerely,

Scott DesJarlais
Member of Congress"

• Like 2

Sounds strong Pro Gun to me. :up: Wish they would strengthen parking lot bill, repeal knife law.....and reduce gun free zones. Especially while the RINO's have all three branches.

There that looks better, RINOs are what is keeping the laws as they are.

• Like 1

Yeah. Between him and whatshisface, Fleischmann, things look okay.

I actually sent him a response asking him what he thought of the idea of constitutional carry, so I'll update this here thread when/if I get an answer. I'll add on de-restricting knives and strengthening the parking lot bill as well, good thoughts.

Yeah. Between him and whatshisface, Fleischmann, things look okay.

I actually sent him a response asking him what he thought of the idea of constitutional carry, so I'll update this here thread when/if I get an answer. I'll add on de-restricting knives and strengthening the parking lot bill as well, good thoughts.

Scott is a United States congressman and is a great one to contact about national issues but if you are interested in making your voice heard on the parking lot bill you would be better served speaking with your State Representative. Whats cooler about the State Rep. is that you stand a better chance of actually speaking with him rather than a staffer.  

• Like 1
Guest bluecanary25

You have a better chance of meeting and speaking with your Legislative Member (Senator or Representative), early in the session.  Make an appointment to meet them and speak on the issues you have. 

Letters and email are good, do include your name and address... without an address the Members cannot determine if you are a constituent or even a State resident.  A personal meeting has stronger impact.

EDIT:  was gonna give example but you wouldn't believe me.  Ask Rep. Casada's assistant, Carol, who got the ball rolling to remove thumbprint during purchase of firearms....

Edited by bluecanary25