Laying chimney rock

Spots

We had to lay my dads chimney on up 6 more feet after redoing the roof on his house earlier this year. We laid all of it up saturday and I thought Id share some pictures. Most of the rocks averaged from 4 to 10 inches thick, 6" to 14" wide and 10" to 24" long. The lightest ones were 45 lbs and the heaviest ones were over 100. These are hand cut rock, hand hewed between 100 and 150 years ago. There are rock from over 37 different homestead chimneys in this one chimney. Anyways, hope yall enjoy My dad scraping joints 20130928_132738_zps1224ce7f.jpg Working on the scaffold 20130928_145525_zps91d74d2f.jpg20130928_145535_zps1b638c23.jpg20130928_145555_zpsd4d3ebed.jpg20130928_145611_zpsce99e8b5.jpg Taking a break 20130928_145624_zpscbb71185.jpg20130928_181445_zpsfb598ac3.jpg The finished product 20130928_184754_zps140dc2ac.jpg20130929_145621_zps21f8f831.jpg And for good measure, the hearth inside. This was our only source of heat when I was little, but back then it had a forced air insert for better heat. Now they clean it off at first frost and use it as a normal fireplace. This was all hand layed by my dad, and there are much larger rock under those for a foundation. 20130929_151626_zps714b2e64.jpg Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Edited by Spots
  • Like 2

Absolutely awesome!
Your dad and you are super talented! That is the type of chimmney I want on my cabin when I build it.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Start looking for rock now or be ready to pay alot for them. Chimney rock are hard to find.

Incredible, Spots. You can just about do it all...

I'd like to add, that is really a nice looking house as well!

Thanks Pat, we try to be as self sufficient as possible.

Heck yeah! Nothing beats folks who are self sufficient and you guys have it in spades. :up:

Thanks David, we try.

Great job! Any chance you'd be interested in doing some work for me on an outdoor fireplace?

Thank you. We don't really do work like that, there's so much to do at home. I work for a mason (my father in law)
during the week and could put you in touch with him if youd like.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.