Need help with AR issue

KahrMan

Except for setting the shoulder back....it happens.

But, that happens in all bottle necks. The sizing die sets the headspace. I know there was a problem early on. I'm just wondering if it was bad dies or bad setup. With my Hornady die, it bottoms out on the shell holder, and there's no room for error. I can see something happening if you're roll crimping in the seating die. I don't do that.

I know you warned me about it when I first started messing with the caliber. I've just never seen it with my setup. I've killed a few cases trying to pull bullets. It's damn near impossible without damaging that dinky rim. Could just be real tight neck tension with my sizer. 

The 300 is a really cool caliber. With that said, it won't slap the shit outa Bambi like the 458. Don't forget though, you have to mill out the ejection port on a stock upper receiver to make it work with the SOCOM. One of the reasons to go with an assembled upper. You also want to go with carbine gas on the next one. H110 is probably the bestest powder for .458, but can have a problem cycling a middy. I use Reloader 7 in all mine, based on a consensus from our buddies on the .458 SOCOM forum.

That was meant for the OP not you Mike.

The times I have seen it the person wasn't trying it once, twice or three time but a dozen or more times and bringing it from left field. I guess they figured more momentum would help. One I watched a guy drop the rifle from chest height repeatedly until the lower cracked at the rear takedown pin hole. Most times I don't stick around once they start, I have seen guns bounce and point where they were supposed to.

Ha, well that would certainly do it. I'm not scared to scuff up my guns, but like OS said, those buffer tubes make poor battle clubs. I remember reading an MOH or similar write up from Vietnam where the awarded party had used his M16 as a club when rounds expended and it went hand to hand. The stock broke off right away and the guy was beating a VC to death with the carry handle.