Background check question

Guest glen88

Guest TankerHC
Different State different rules but I have a relative who had the exact same situation. He ended up with only two options. Not going to get into details but his involved him, his wife and another man. Ten years ago. Early last year he decided he wanted to buy a revolver for home defense but didn't think he could. Checked the legalities in his state and felons and DV were not allowed to own percussion cap either. I ran a paid background check on him and the only thing that showed up was a single ticket for running a traffic sign 14 years earlier. I contacted someone I knew in law enforcement and he ran a check and the same thing came up. One traffic ticket. But he was told he did not need an attorney. We simply drove to the Court House and they had a specific person that handled DV cases. Turned out that yes he was convicted but when the judge made his decision he sentenced him to attend DV classes. Those classes cost him over 7000 dollars and lasted 24 months. When he took his class completion to the court. The judge had changed his decision to not guilty. According to the paperwork the judge had annotated that upon successful completion and no further trouble it would be changed. And it was. It was completely removed except for the initial decision and the change. He previously owned firearms and walked around for ten years thinking he no longer could. He actually was able to see three times. The whole thing that started him thinking he might be able to purchase a firearm was when he was pulled over in Mississippi and nothing came up. When he went home back north and called me back same thing. I ran him and printed it out. One page with old traffic violation. In the end the only way to be sure was to go to the court house and check himself. Could have got an attorney but didn't need to. Simply went to the Court house and checked himself.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
All of my charges 5 total four traffic one reckless endangerment (if I remember correctly) were all dismissed. It showed as such on their computer as they showed me and the initial paperwork showed dismissed and tbi still said no dice. I can even carry fire arms from with the state at my place of employment where as before I couldn't buy a gun cuz I'd get denied. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest TankerHC
I am on Tapatalk but can tell you how to check free and why you should not waste money on a paid check. I have done hundreds of them I tell people but they still want to do them. One second

Guest TankerHC
First off, more information is available on the state.gov websites and is completely reliable. Here is how you find a conviction.

Guest TankerHC
1. Go to your state. gov website.
2. In the state website find your county
3. In that county look for Courts.
4. For DV look for chancery court.
5. In Chancery court look under "Case Dispositions"
6. Accept the terms. Usually a detailed search option will come up.
7. Type in your name and any other info you want. Hit enter.

I just checked a couple of counties in Tennessee and the option was available.

Guest TankerHC
The reason I say don't use pay sites is because they are no more privy to non public information than you are. All they sell you is information you can get yourself free. If it is a matter of public information then it's public. Which is why you pay some of them and when you try a nationwide search they will send you a list of states they couldn't search along with the ones they were able to. Attorneys can do it, they can't.

1. Go to your state. gov website.
2. In the state website find your county
3. In that county look for Courts.
4. For DV look for chancery court.
5. In Chancery court look under "Case Dispositions"
6. Accept the terms. Usually a detailed search option will come up.
7. Type in your name and any other info you want. Hit enter.

I just checked a couple of counties in Tennessee and the option was available.

You got a link for the TN website?

Guest TankerHC
Only looked at a couple to see if it was an option in Tn. It was.

Here is an example for Hamilton County. And sn easier way.

Go to Hamiltoncountytn.gov

Underneath the photo on the left click on online records.

Scroll down and click on criminal court case dispositions.

Click accept

Do your search. Search by name or officers involved names or by judge or case number.

To test it just type jones in search by name. Click search by name and look.

Guest TankerHC
Ton of info on State Governments sites. How much you paid for your house for example. Bankruptcies. Civil Cases. All a matter of public record.

Y'all know it alls think you know everything. The paperwork said "expungement" on it. I moved recently but if I can find it I'll scan the documents and post them on here.

Whether it was actually expunged or not, point is, a non disqualifying misdemeanor doesn't have to be expunged to get an HCP even if one were convicted. And neither does a dismissed felony charge.

I can't speak as to what you were told at the time, or possible changes in the process if this was back toward the early days of the HCP or something, but certainly expungement is not currently a requirement under any circumstances, only a satisfactorily record of case disposition,  and expungement also doesn't hide a conviction from most all LE checks anyway.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Whether it was actually expunged or not, point is, a non disqualifying misdemeanor doesn't have to be expunged to get an HCP even if one were convicted. And neither does a dismissed felony charge.

I can't speak as to what you were told at the time, or possible changes in the process if this was back toward the early days of the HCP or something, but certainly expungement is not currently a requirement under any circumstances, only a satisfactorily record of case disposition,  and expungement also doesn't hide a conviction from most all LE checks anyway.

- OS

+1

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Emerson CQC-7 w/ Wave.

Simply awsome knife. I've kept up with it the longest of any and it's served me well every day. If it gets lost I will buy another just like it.

Tbi told me this in 2009 when I got my permit. Prior to that I had tried to purchase a firearm. It was also a no go. Even with dismissal paperwork sent on both it was a no go. Then I filed the expungenent paperwork and sent that information to the tbi. Since then I've been able to purchase fire arms without being denied ever and I was able to get my hcp. Also if I had a record I couldn't work for the department of corrections. I've had several back ground checks done on me and all came back clear. Hell I can even carry guns at work.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Guest glen88
With work i havent been able to go to the local PD but talked to a friend,whos a lawyer..he suggested i wait to see what the results are from the TICS appeal as to see exactly what the denial was for.I take it so maybe ill no if its as simple as the recent addy change on DL(which id done the day before)not matching my new addy(hoping its that simple) and that the courthouse just hasnt updated their records with the end results of my case,seeing how they had me as driving on revoke when it was a "driving w/o DL on me".its possible! Again thanks for all the input and info...has anyone been able to do a background check on the website as mentioned above? Ive not been able to find it as per the steps
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

With work i havent been able to go to the local PD but talked to a friend,whos a lawyer..he suggested i wait to see what the results are from the TICS appeal as to see exactly what the denial was for.I take it so maybe ill no if its as simple as the recent addy change on DL(which id done the day before)not matching my new addy(hoping its that simple) and that the courthouse just hasnt updated their records with the end results of my case,seeing how they had me as driving on revoke when it was a "driving w/o DL on me".its possible! Again thanks for all the input and info...has anyone been able to do a background check on the website as mentioned above? Ive not been able to find it as per the steps

Did you do the address change online? If so and that's why it got denied ask you gotta do is print the confirmation page out from the state and take it to the hearing.

Guest glen88
I done it @ the local dmv,which no longer gives dl's on the spot..i just got back mybactual dl yesterday..when i pull up my addreess online using different sites(white pages,reverve address look up etc) its still showing my old address(just moved not long ago)so im HOPING thats the problem
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I done it @ the local dmv,which no longer gives dl's on the spot..i just got back mybactual dl yesterday..when i pull up my addreess online using different sites(white pages,reverve address look up etc) its still showing my old address(just moved not long ago)so im HOPING thats the problem

Any updates on this issue?