crossing state lines

Guest HunterH

Guest HunterH

I have a question that I can not figureout on my own despite looks at as many laws and webpages as I can find.

I have a TN HCP. If I travel from TN to AK to OK in one day, all of which have a reciperacal agreement with TN, am I in volation at the federal level for crossing state lines with a loaded gun on my person?? I know I can carry in each state due to the reciperacal agreement, but I read that crossing a state line is a violation of federal law.

How does this work out?

Hunter

p.s. forgive the spelling, I am retarded on many levels including spelling. :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are perfectly fine crossing state lines with your handgun. The Firearms Owners Protection Act has a "safe passage" provision which allows you to take firearms across state lines, as long as you are following the appropriate state laws. Since you have a HCP, and each state honors the permit, you are good to go.

You may be confused with traveling across state lines to sell a handgun. Interstate sales of firearms must go through a FFL in the buyer's state.

• Administrator

You're GTG to as long as the state recognizes TN permits.

Just wait, though. If you ever decide to build or buy a Class III item, you have to fill out and submit a Form 5320.20 (Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily

Export Certain National Firearms Act Firearms) before you can take it with you to another state, for each state you plan to visit, each time you plan to visit there. :D

Guest HunterH

Thanks for the tip. So, do I sense some frustration about not being allowed to stroke and sleep with a certian fully assembled class III toy for lack of paperwork?? Sucks to keep the toy in parts in untouchable until uncle sam gets off his ass.

You're GTG to as long as the state recognizes TN permits.

Just wait, though. If you ever decide to build or buy a Class III item, you have to fill out and submit a Form 5320.20 (Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily

Export Certain National Firearms Act Firearms) before you can take it with you to another state, for each state you plan to visit, each time you plan to visit there. :D

Guest pjblurton
I have a TN HCP. If I travel from TN to AK to OK in one day

Phew... Tennessee to Alaska to Oklahoma in one day is one helluva trip!:D

to be a slothful1, he sure is quick on the reply....

Edited by pjblurton
Slothful1 beat me to it....
  • Administrator
Thanks for the tip. So, do I sense some frustration about not being allowed to stroke and sleep with a certian fully assembled class III toy for lack of paperwork?? Sucks to keep the toy in parts in untouchable until uncle sam gets off his ass.

Does it show? :D

It's actually pretty silly that we have a restriction on rifles with barrels shorter than 16-inches. I have held quite a few 10" AR's lately and none of them ever struck me as being any more concealable than a regular 16" carbine. It's just one more way for the government to make some money.

Guest db99wj
Tennessee to Alaska to Oklahoma? That's one heck of a day trip. :eek:
Phew... Tennessee to Alaska to Oklahoma in one day is one helluva trip!:D

to be a slothful1, he sure is quick on the reply....

He sure is quick!

Yep as has been said, you are fine, I will be traveling to Batesville AR Friday, woo hoo....