Caracal F question; opinions?

Steelharp

I really, really love this pistol. It feels great, shoots superbly. Yesterday, I saw a hairline crack at the rear of the frame, in the center of the slide channel. I called Caracal, and they are sending me a shipping box. They gave me a choice between a repair, or a refund. Not sure which I should do.

Your opinions?

Refund. Absolutely, no questions at all.

Google the Caracal litany of problems. It will take all day to read the articles and threads on different forums.

In a nutshell, it started with possible fires if dropped, went to other trigger safety issues, frame cracks, slide cracks and faulty manufacture during casting, to finally catastrophic failures when firing.

Just too many issues to really feel comfortable in keeping the pistol for me.

I believe initially, the recall centered around the F model, but the last online statement I read from Caracal several months back indicated they were recalling all products and would stop sales altogether.
  • Like 1

I swear here lately it seems that gun companies are getting to be like American car companies . Recall and problems all the time.  In the 90's when I turned 18 I never bought a gun that malfunctioned at all. All that I bought worked like a Glock 17 ! Now days it is hit and miss . It is really sad . 

I really wanted one of these . But after a long study of them I realized that I cant get parts hardly anywhere . This is what stopped me from getting a Steyr pistol too . I want to be able to buy a gun like a Glock or 1911 and be able to get parts from almost anywhere. And you can do that with Glock and 1911's . I do love the steyrs and this gun but it is just unfortunate . 

Edited by tercel89

One of the early problems I read about, and saw some pictures of, concerned the cast slides fracturing. Some during use. One incident had pictures of a slide that separated during a range session and quite literally broke cleanly across the ejection port.

The break looked like a very clean line, no splintering that I could see. What freaked me was that the break was so uniform, it looked like a machined cut. And like crude pot-metal.

The man firing this pistol sustained quite a bit of facial damage according to the  posting I read this in. And was supposedly one of the first to cause major problems for Caracal.

What will they base your refund on , a receipt ?

Last March, when I sent mine in for a refund, a receipt showing amount and place of purchase was requested. So this is new.

No; they said they'll have a paper in there that I just put the amount I paid on, and that's what they'll send me. They are using a window of 450 to 519...

Wow. Maybe I should have held out. 430 was the stated top value for a refund when I did mine.

I guess the huge oil profits means they don't care how much of the money comes back to us. Just make it up on the next tankful.

Edited by hipower

Should go pretty well. I got mine in I think about 2 months. But I would think that could go longer with a full line recall being instituted. FWIW, and not to get your hopes up, I know one person who got a refund in under a month. But that was 2 months ago, just before the latest round of info hit.

Good choice. What's your poison, Gen 3 or 4? I've still got my 2 gen3 models and a bunch of mags I've accumulated over the last few years. Have and experiences with the 4 models? I've heard about the mags and the differences between them; and I don't see enough to warrant a change for me. But I've heard comments about some older mags not fitting the Gen 4s. Seems kinda odd to me. Know anything like that?
What I found out is if you change the mag release to left handed on the gen4 the old gen 3 mags will not work because it doesn't have the mag catch cutout on both sides of the mag. I just purchased two g30's one gen3 and one gen 3 sf and the mags are setup for gen4 guns (has the mag catch cut out on bought sides of the mag). Guess glock is only including gen 4 mags with their new guns that are also produced in gen4.
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I shot a G19 today at the shop. NOW I remember why I de-Glocked for Walthers. Never mind.

Caracal did receive my pistol this morning. So, now the wait begins...

A year ago if you were to hold a 19 and a caracal C in your hand and pull the triggers, you'd come home with the C.  That 19 will need a Ghost connector and some polishing before it even comes close to an out of the box C.  I used to have both...now just the 19.  Go for the PPQ.