New from MI

Guest shifty_85

Guest shifty_85

Hey all me and my g/f may be moving to TN *around Knoxville area* before the end of the year we hope!

hope there are alot of 3 gun events and shooting events down there as there is here in MI!!!

cannot wait to live in the south :)

and being from MI if it ever snows and you need to go somewhere im used to driving in any amount of snow 1" to 12" of snow never have a prob driving in the snow. i laugh at my cousin who lives in old hickory, TN he said they had a snow day for 2" of snow i laughed our schools dont close till there is 8-10" but normaly the plow trucks go out right after around 3-4Am and have it cleared!

look forward to meet lots of new friendly gun people!

Guest shifty_85

ahh ice is very fun for playing on but not so much to drive on! ill do my best to leave it up here!

ill be down oct 3rd through sunday the 6th any shoots going on? maybe i can stop by and BS and maybe fire off a few rounds if the old lady allows it :) ill bring her red .22LR slide for my 1911 and she can let loose as well

Guest Phantom6

Welcome to the Land of the Free. Well, almost. When y'all get down here stop by the office and I'll get you set up with the IDPA and 3 gun groups at the Oak Ridge Sportsmens Association, http://orsaonline.org/facilities.asp. I did the aerial image at the bottom of the page there.

The Liars Club meets every Thursday afternoon 1400-1700 at my office. The group is made up of firearms and reloading enthusiasts, old tree-top fliers, door gunners, SAC fliers, cops, mil. gun fighters and all types of former high speed/low drag operators that now, due to age and fast living are a bit more high drag/low speed. We solve the world's problems from how to properly tune a trigger on a TT -33 to how to prepare for when the "Schumer hits the fan" to how to properly reverse lead a moving ground target from an aircraft moving the same direction of travel at 60 knots from 90 yds.

Come on by when you get into the area.

Welcome_01a.gif

Edited by Phantom6
Guest shifty_85

wow thank you so much for the invite!!! ill be sure to stop by!

is knoxville a good area? dont really know to much about it stayed in a hotel there once and thats it

Welcome! I moved from Michigan to Tennessee about 30 years ago.  Luckily, they let me stay.  I love it here.

With respect to snow driving in these parts, you will quickly learn that no matter how good you are in the snow, if no one else is - you're still in big trouble. :)

Guest shifty_85

haha thanks all ill remember i have to dodge other sliding cars coming at me.

and it would be awesome if yall let me stay in your state. i like ole smokey's moonshine in gatlinburg!!!

haha thanks all ill remember i have to dodge other sliding cars coming at me.

and it would be awesome if yall let me stay in your state. i like ole smokey's moonshine in gatlinburg!!!

Wish it was cheaper.  I drink the Apple Pie from there the way people drink wine.

• Like 1
Guest shifty_85

yes apply pie is my fav. mix 50/50 or even 75/25 apple pie with apple cider oh man that is insane!! have another apple pie source here and its 150 proof vs the 40 or 60 that ole smokey is. it only has a small after bite but when mixed with cider you never know its in there.

i liked the cherrys. me and the g/f on our trip down friday night are going to get a hotel downtown and do the taste testing a few times.

i liked the whiskey one too their white lightning doesnt have a bite and the choc. whiskey is just strange

Welcome! 

As a person who's spent a significant amount of time in the Auburn Hills, Rochester Hills, and Sterling Heights areas, I think you'll find Knoxville to be a noticeable improvement.

As for the snow thing... Yanks always tell us that they know how to drive in the snow.  Then we pull them out of the ditch.  ;)   We don't get snow, we get ice.  And it's flat in MI, there's hardly a flat spot here.  Having done both, driving in the snow in MI is completely different from here. 

Guest shifty_85

Awesome im in farmington hills been here all my life. dads side of the fam lives in old hickory,TN loved going down there as a kid and love it even more now.

as for the snow thing yeah it gets a little bit more sketchy on a mountain and ice is not fun to play around in.

Welcome to TGO. I am sure you will enjoy TN, I have lived here in East TN all of my life. Blount County is just south of Knoxville and is a little more rural, that's where I live and we like it a lot. We are in the country but still we can be to civilization without too much of a drive. Knoxville is ok just like any other city there are bad areas to stay away from.

As for the winter driving, as the others have mentioned it is a little different here; very few snow plows if any in some parts, ice, hills, curves, etc. Not exactly what you are used to up in MI. We are just lucky that we don't see that much of it here.

Guest shifty_85

we are leaving MI around 2am and the hotel we are at is only 17miles from the range!

im just bringing my .45 and the .22LR slide for it.

Any steel shoots going on tomorrow?

Guest shifty_85

went to the club posted today and doh I didn't even think of it being gated!!! looked nice from the outside would like to see the inside!

Guest Phantom6

Returned your pm but not untill this AM, 6 October . Been busy like a one-legged man in an a$$ kickin' contest with training classes both in and out of town. I didn't check all the email accounts in time. Sorry. Next trip I hope. 

BTW since you are a lover of the clear whiskey, the best way I've found to enjoy "apple pie" on hot summer evenings is with a scoop or two of vanilla icecream. Shot of apple pie followed by a spoon of ice cream. Repeat as needed. Mmmmmm, apple pie-a-la mode!  :yum:  :yum:

Welcome!  I lived in Michigan's UP fora short while back inthe 80's-I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB near Marquette...I hated the base (it was SAC) and the chickenshit outfit I was in, but I did love the rural UP and even the weather, having come there from Greenland.