HELP - need a tool or ideas truck repair

TNMTBik3r

Been a long ass day...started working on my truck at 10am and just came inside and got cleaned up at 8:30pm.

I have a 2009 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 in it. Today I was going to change the shocks and then do an oil change (been doing normal maintenance for about 15 years with my dad and then on my own). Long story short, I got the shocks done and was all excited, 20 minutes left and I will be done with the oil and can go watch football.... and then the oil filter would not come off.

I use a K&N filter (http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=hp-2010) that has the 1" nut on the end for easy removal. The problem goes back a couple of months when my water pump went out and I had a local shop replace the pump - they told me they performed an oil change but I never bothered looking at the filter or anything. So today, I go to take the filter off and the nut is stripped out on the filter, it was not stripped when I installed the filter (hand tight plus a turn with the wrench) which means the shop apparently took off my filter and then re-installed it, over torqued to strip the nut. I assume they also did not put oil on the gasket which is why I am having such a hard time too...

So a 20 minute job turned into 8 hours and still not done. Due to the nut on the filter, a standard oil filter socket will not fit, filter pliers and vice grips are not working, filter strap is not working (tore the fabric actually), using a smaller socket on the nut and using an impact wrench to try and back it off, and finally - screwdriver through the filter with a ton of leverage to try and force it. Filter is still stuck. 

I tried using this 3 legged filter removal tool - the legs are not long enough to get a grip because of the filter nut

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-3-legged-oil-filter-wrench-for-imported-and-domestic-cars/_/N-25ra?itemIdentifier=114009_0_0_

Does anyone happen to have one of the below tools that I could borrow? None of the local stores carry them, and it would be Monday late afternoon if not Tuesday before they could have one available. The truck is not drive-able since the filter is punctured and oil has been drained.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_3-8-drive-oil-filter-wrench-3-1-8-to-3-7-8-lisle_25981260-p?searchTerm=oil+filter+wrench

OR

Similar to the tool I have tried but the legs appear to be a lot longer.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_oil-filter-wrench-3-leg-otc_17631694-p?searchTerm=oil+filter+wrench

Does anyone have any other ideas I could try? I thought about trying to heat up the filter, but don't want an open flame and I don't have a heat/soldering gun. My fiance has a professional salon hair dryer, do you think it would get warm enough to help?

The way Ford built these trucks, room is limited to try and use some tools or get enough leverage. The filter is vertical if that matters and I am in Columbia. I will be online for another hour or so and then up working on this in the morning. Thank you for anything you may offer!! 

Edited by jonathon1289
Use a chisel. Tear the can off or apart until you can see the main seal ring or surface. Take a chisel and use a dead blow and unscrew it by making the chiesel bite the surface and unscrew it. Btw, hand tight is sufficent on oil filters. No need for the wrench turn. And I'd be contacting the shop who did the work and letting them know I was pissed. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
  • Like 2

I've fought with some tough filters, but this sounds extreme. A screwdriver through the side with enough leverage should either turn the filter or tear the metal. A good strap wrench should get the job done, the worst I've ever had them do is crush the sides of the filter in. You aren't reusing the filter, so who cares? Crush the sides in, tighten the wrench up, and keep going until it turns or comes apart. 

If all else fails, you can do what Spots suggested. Take a chisel to the sealing edge of the filter and tap it in a counter clockwise direction. That should get it to break loose. Only problem might be having the space to get a hammer and chisel in there!

• Like 2
I thought about ripping it off and trying the chisel but was hoping for a simpler option.
I did try a chisel right at the top of the canister, beating it to try and unscrew but not a lot of room to get a good swing.

Not sure about the water pump pliers, cannot get much of an angle, pretty much a vertical grip is all I can get with the filter pliers, and going in through the wheel well doesn't have room for any leverage.
I really think the filter has fused to the engine due to a lack of oil on the gasket. It is the only thing that makes sense, I have put more than enough torque to have broken it free just from being too tight.
I will try applying some heat to the top of the canister to free the gasket tomorrow and see what happens.

2nd what Frankmako said. 

I know you said you tried the chisel and hammer thing but didn't have room so here's one more tool to add to the maix and you could get this at walmart if nowhere else. If you can't make it happen any other way and decide to go this route just be careful not to get it into the sealing surface because when these things start going, they GO. WalMart should have a cheap one for around $20 I suspect.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=air+chisel

I really think the filter has fused to the engine due to a lack of oil on the gasket. It is the only thing that makes sense, I have put more than enough torque to have broken it free just from being too tight.
I will try applying some heat to the top of the canister to free the gasket tomorrow and see what happens.

The air chisel I just posted for you will add shock to the mix. Sometimesthings just refuse to move with just smooth twisting motion even if it is a lot of force.

Air chisel - hadn't considered that but the shock affect could help. That is why I had tried the impact wrench earlier with the undersized socket.
May check Walmart or Lowes tomorrow, thanks for the idea.

No problem. I'm usually pretty good at fighting my way out of tough spots... guess that is due to a lot of experience since the one thing i'm better at is, finding myself in those tough spots. I have used one on an oil filter before and after spending half a day fooling with it I has half happy and the other half pissed when it all but fell off as soon as I pulled the trigger. Good luck with it tomorrow.

I agree with Jonathon, BUT in a very rare occurrence I have seen a filter cross threaded. You will most likely have to take it off in pieces. Then since it is so hard to get to, sharpen an old screwdriver to use as a chisel. Maybe heat it with a heatgun. I have a Lisle filter wrench your welcome to use, but I'm about 3 hours away from you. If you have already pierced it with a screwdriver it will most likely collapse......Good luck brother

I have done this before using several of the methods the others have suggested. The screwdriver or chisel will work in many cases. If you have an old leather belt or piece of seat belt you might be able to make your own strap wrench by wrapping it around an extension and using a ratchet to turn it, get it up as close to the base as possible.

I hope it is not cross threaded. I have an ISX Cummins in a big truck in my shop right now with a leaking oil filter that was cross threaded and did not seal good. Not fun, may require replacing the entire oil cooler.

Hope that helps you. Been through this more times than I would have liked to but it was always on big trucks or buses so there was more room to work. 

Had this issue on a Buick I bought a few years ago. Wouldn't come off by hand, wouldn't come off by strap, wouldn't come off by chain, wouldn't come off after driving a screwdriver through it.

I wound up clipping the filter all the way down to the spin on, then taking a set of shears to cut the top (mounting face) off of the block. Take care not to scratch the block/mount if you have to go to that extreme.

This is the biggest reason I prefer to do my own work. I am not a professional, but I ain't a monkey with a wrench either.

The Oil filter wrench Wyldk2 showed above is very handy, but I have actually had some problems with it not working on the hardest to remove filters.  Before I re-dove into guns again, I had a about a 8 year obsession into automotive hand tool collecting thingy.  One of my tools, is a very large (and I mean large) Craftsman slip joint pliers or channel locks.  They are about 20-24" long have a mouth capacity of 8-10".  These have been the best tool for removing cranky oil filters.  I have not had one filter that was too tight that this thing and my grip muscle would not handle.  To make them work, you have to have the right angle and death grip.  Usually the oil filter is squeezed so tight, they buckle.  These may be discontinued now, because I can't find any on Sears.com.  I am sure there are some knockoffs out there.  BTW the chisel thing and air hammer thing will work, just don't let it slip into your oil pans, oil filter threads on your block or any other vital items.  Chisels, hammer and pneumatics I have had some bad experiences of damaging other things in my experience. 

At least the filter is weaker than what it is threaded on to. If one of those strap type wrenches won't get it, then beat

the darned thing off with something long and sharp to tear into the side, I doubt those threads are stripped, just no

oil on the rubber gasket when it was put on last time. I've had to use many different tools to get oil filters off, usually

because of where they are located, but sometimes they are just way too tight.

I had an issue with a filter coming of my Toyota. I shoved a screwdriver through it and slipped a small pipe over the handle of the screwdriver and used the extra length from the pipe to get some good tourqe on it. It came off almost to easy to have been giving me that much trouble.

It looks like all the bases are covered on getting the darned thing off.  I really hate that crap though. It's hard to find anyone who hasn't had a overtightened or un-lubed stuck filter. I've never had one but I've heard people say that their drain plug was stripped out by an oil change place. There really is no excuse. Changing the oil in a car of truck is about the simplest job one can do and it's sometimes hard to imagine how it gets screwed up at theses places.

Edited by Randall53
In addition to the chisel, screwdriver, etc. I'll add a torch. Heat up around the seal, that should help it pop loose.

All else fails, have it towed back to the shop that installed it and make them fix it. If they've buggered the filter threads, that won't be cheap. But such is the price of stupidity. Every oil filter I've ever seen has instructions to install by hand only.