[Possible] Interesting Text Scam

GlockSpock

• Moderators

First, let me just state that it is also possible someone just has the wrong number. However, I receive this message this morning:

(1/3)Hello Danielle Bentley, Good Morning. This is Bennis Thompson, How are you doing today ? I want you to know that the package is on the (2/3)way, here is the tracking number ( **** ). In the meantime, I want you to text me back as soon as you receive my text. Thank(3/3)you !

Tracking number is an actual tracking number that can be tracked on the Fedex website. It shows delivery to Chattanooga, TN. I am unsure whether "Cleveland" is considered part of "Chattanooga, TN" on the Fedex system.

It reads like a scam to me, and to me I believe they could be finding real tracking numbers via the Fedex website (by guessing random numbers until they get one right). Once they find one, the look up area codes for that location, and then start texting random numbers until they get a response. I'd follow up on it, but since it is my phone number I don't want to keep receiving scam offers.

I contacted Fedex about the issue.

Any thoughts or information?

Are you expecting a package?

Have you ever had any dealings with either Danielle or Bennis?

Have you done a google search on the PH# to see if it has a history of abuse?

Personally, I'd ignore and carry on with my regular business, especially if I didn't know either person and wasn't expecting a package. If you do know one of the associated parties, then call them at your known number, and see if they need the info. Otherwise, ignore as spam/phishing/scam material.

My sister called back a number for a "package" that was coming to her, it was an international pay per minute number. They kept her on the line for 17 minutes. Amounted to a $US30 charge and a dispute opened with t-mobile. Not sure on outcome of the dispute, or if it's had one. Was only a couple weeks ago.

• Moderators
Expecting a package, but it is being tracked via UPS and there is nothing in the text that alludes to it being anything I should plus be expecting. Never hear of them. I have tried Googling the number as well as the names, nothing concrete shows up. Package is being shipped from Mississippi. Probably wrong number, but equally probable it is a phishing scam or the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Enter the number into www.whocallsme.com

That site has been the best resource in immediately determining scams. Chances are you aren't the first one. My wife gets scam calls at least once a month. She doesn't answer the phone if she doesn't recognize the number. We look it up on there and usually it's registered.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
I did end up saying "No Reply". The main reason I did not wish to reply was just in case they are up to no good, perhaps they would ignore my number. Now they may add my number to a list of "valid" cell phone numbers and I may receive more calls/texts.

In terms of a scam, the best I could see is that if someone took the bait, they would probably make some sort of claims of needing payment for the package to be released. I also dreamt up a scenario by which they "accidentally" sent a verry valuable package to you and will "pay" you money in order to ship it back to them. However the catch may be that you have to pay "FedEx" money in order to receive the package, when in reality you would be paying the scammer.

Example: You have to pay FedEx $1000 to receive this very expensive package but we will send you $1500 for your time and troubles.

So far I have received no response, but in this day and age no form of scam surprises me anymore. Just the first thoughts that popped into my head. Then again, equal chance it was just a wrong number.

Enter the number into www.whocallsme.com

That site has been the best resource in immediately determining scams. Chances are you aren't the first one. My wife gets scam calls at least once a month. She doesn't answer the phone if she doesn't recognize the number. We look it up on there and usually it's registered.

same thing was happening to my gf I took her blackberry and downloaded a free app to block numbers did the same on my iPhone to block Sally Mae

Shipper will start with Fedex and get USPS to make the drop.

I have a company that I buy stuff some times and that is what they do.

???

They call it "Smart Ship" a package goes from a warehouse in Louisville, KY to East TN via a post office in Atlanta, GA.

Amazon texts me with the tracking number and info. Not sure how, but I must have signed up sometime. That's the only legit tracking text I've ever seen.

I work in cellular industry and we deal with scams all the time. Doesn't smell right to me... Edited by Wiljo05