Is this a wrong memory about pump shotguns?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
I like shotguns but up until about two years ago I had not owned one in 15 years. Bought 4 or 5 since then. I have had to put back several that I wanted because of the position of the release near the trigger housing. One made in Turkey was positioned to the point I had to hold the gun and take my hand completely off the receiver and move it to press the release. Am I wrong in remembering my old 500 did not even have a release? If right what was the reasoning behind adding them to every gun and some so poorly positioned? I defer to the shotgun experts.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

If there's no release, you couldn't empty live round from chamber without firing it, eh?

All pumps I've ever known about lock the round in, and only unlock by firing or pressing release. Unless they're broken or worn out.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Ive never seen a pump without a release, but most of them Ive shot released on the shot, so its just a smooth rack when shooting, no need to hit the release button.Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I'm new to shotguns but that's how the 870 functions. You can either pull the trigger or the release in order to operate the slide. I thought the trigger housing/operation was pretty nifty and simple. I can see why the 870 is so popular.

I'm new to shotguns but that's how the 870 functions. You can either pull the trigger or the release in order to operate the slide. I thought the trigger housing/operation was pretty nifty and simple. I can see why the 870 is so popular.

Thats how every pump I've ever shot has worked. 1947 vintage Winchester Model 12 which is my go to field gun, Mossberg 500 and 590's, Maverick 88's, and Remington 870's. All had a slide release, and they were all similarly. Ive never had an issue with the placements on any of them, since thy released on a fired shot so I wasn't fiddling with them in a hurry

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

The 870 is waaay easier than the 500 to work (at least for me). But yep they all have the releases

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

870 has the release in front of trigger guard and 500/590 has it behind trigger guard. 870 is what i was raised on so thats what is natural but neither requires changing grip

The 870 is waaay easier than the 500 to work (at least for me). But yep they all have the releases

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Like everyone else, everyone i've owned or fired has had a release. Most every shotgun i've owned has been an 870 and to me they are easily accessible.