Smaller caliber rifle but not .22 or .17hmr?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
I am going to buy my niece her first rifle. She will be 14 but she is already 5'6. (Her dad is 6'7) But she is skinny. I would like to be able to take her to shoot it but with .22 in short supply I was thinking maybe 17 hmr. What is another good "starter" caliber? I think she us actually too tall and arms too long for a youth size rifle but at the same time to skinny for a higher caliber rifle. Should I go with 17 hmr or is there another caliber as well suited to keep her shooting? She will only ever shoot paper with it. But she is pretty competitive so who knows she may end up wanting to compete in some sort of youth program eventually. Was also considering a .410. Any suggestions based on that information?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Guest The Itis

If an air rifle is out of the question, and paper's going to be the only target, then stick with a 22lr bolt action. Doesn't seem she'll be blasting through the rounds so ammo despite shortage shouldn't be overstated.

It's hard to beat a .22LR for accurately punching paper, regularly, on the cheap. Even with ammo being semi-short supply right now, it's coming back. Match .22lr is available, and is still cheaper than match grade loadings of any other caliber I know of.

If the cost of ammo isn't a big issue, I love 6.5x55. Although it's not the easiest to find factory loaded match ammo. And match target rifles are even less common. Start loading your own though, things get fun.

A clean K31 and some Swiss mil surp match 7.5x55 is a great rifle for punching paper, accurately, on the cheap (relatively!). If a more powerful rifle is what you're after, this is what I'd probably choose. A 480 rd case of swiss ammo runs about 270ish+shipping.

Speaking from experience, my 14 year old daughter is happiest shooting a .22LR. The noise is a big factor. She dislikes ranges because of the surrounding big caliber guns. She has her own 20ga, her own .243, and a couple .22s. She has access to much more. She always takes the Henry lever action as her first choice.

If you decide to get her a .22 and can't get ammo, PM me and I will send her some.

If you are dead set against a .22, a .223 would be the only center fire I would want to start a girl with.

Yup.

Speaking from experience, my 14 year old daughter is happiest shooting a .22LR. The noise is a big factor. She dislikes ranges because of the surrounding big caliber guns. She has her own 20ga, her own .243, and a couple .22s. She has access to much more. She always takes the Henry lever action as her first choice.

If you decide to get her a .22 and can't get ammo, PM me and I will send her some.

If you are dead set against a .22, a .223 would be the only center fire I would want to start a girl with.

Yup.

I can help as well, ship on my dime, send me PM.

No ammo is no reason not to shoot, and double for a child wanting to.

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I can help as well, ship on my dime, send me PM.

No ammo is no reason not to shoot, and double for a child wanting to.

Its not the "Zero" ammo, its the little ammo available for a while. I can still get ammo, but the 2 box limit I think wont be enough (Which is why I offered it here at cost to anyone who wants it) just want to get something with ammo readily available since I plan on having her shoot a lot at first. And I certainly appreciate the offer,will be shooting off a PM shortly.

Think I found something, have to go look today. 

there are a lot of choices here. 

There are .223 bolt guns out there.

You can handload even an elephant gun to lob a round gently to out to hit a target at 100, 200 yards, if you can counter the issues with barrel twist and stability (usually, you can).  If you do not handload, you want to go with a common, cheap caliber in a light recoil flavor.

There are a variety of suitable calibers ... 44 mag or 357,  223 and similar (224, blah blah), 243 (a little stout if bench rested, maybe?),  22 mag, and many more. 

Why does it have to be a bolt gun anyway?  An ar is an excellent gun for a smaller shooter: lightweight, low recoil, accurate, bipod for bench shooting, scope perhaps? It may be too loud for some shooters, though(?). 

Guest The Itis

Why does it have to be a bolt gun anyway?  An ar is an excellent gun for a smaller shooter: lightweight, low recoil, accurate, bipod for bench shooting, scope perhaps? It may be too loud for some shooters, though(?). 

For me, starting off with a single shot bolt action 22lr starts shooters off with an ultra reliable platform that they can develop good marksmanship habits with. Autoloaders come after the basics mostly as a convenience. It may sound strange, but even when I had a single shot and a semi 22lr, I found that I hated loading mags more than just putting in a round each time.

Guest TankerHC

Lot of good advice here. I;m not set on a bolt gun. Couple I have been looking at.

Friend of mine bought a Savage MKII synthetic/scope package at Dicks a while back. Pretty nice gun and it groups good with it. Saw one yesterday at Walmart, same package, same color (Green) for $199.

After the .243 recommendation, took a look at the Model 770. Price is right for the package, but I think that's going to be too heavy for her.

I like the idea of the single shot. Which brought to mind a gun that I had in my hands only about a month ago. The Savage Model 42 22/410. Only she wont be getting one of those new. If I can find a used one at a good price its definitely an option. Size is right, single shot and both shotgun and rifle. I'm just not going to spend the 400+ for a new one, she may turn out not to even like shooting.

A semi is not out of the question either. Plenty of those around cheap. 

My daughter has a .243 rem 700. Yes it is too heavy for her. However, I don't want her shooting it off hand yet anyway. I learned early on with my daughter to allow and encourage the use of a gun stick. She's killed a half dozen deer and more turkeys and they were all shot with a monopod under her gun.

If you end up with a heavy gun, put it on a bench or a stick until she graduates to off hand shooting. Better to build confidence than muscles is my motto.

Yup.
Guest TankerHC

Well she is all excited about going shooting. Hasnt even seen the gun yet. Im thinking if she does like it and gets into it, Im going with some of the suggestions and get her a .22 on an AR platform or maybe a an AR with a .22 conversion.