Official Firearm of Tennessee?

Guest Razz

What kind of rifle did Davy Crockett use?

I think he had several over his lifetime.  Who knows what he had as a senator,  and before that, and then on to the alamo... 

Probably died with a "kentucky" type longrifle, either a flintlock or a caplock?   For sure some sort of accurate single shot rifle.  TN had gunsmiths making that type of rifle, of course.  

I think he had several over his lifetime.  Who knows what he had as a senator,  and before that, and then on to the alamo... 

Probably died with a "kentucky" type longrifle, either a flintlock or a caplock?   For sure some sort of accurate single shot rifle.  TN had gunsmiths making that type of rifle, of course.  

Al I know is he called his gun Betsey and I think it was flintlock but probably could research it and find out ...............jmho

Thats actually not true. They are number 4 on the list of longest shots. An accuracy international chambered in .338 lm holds the number 4 spot. And they are good rifles but if I had to lug that heavy bastard around anywhere in bad terrain Id have some bad things to say. I'm thinking a 1911 would be the perfect TN firearm in honor of Sgt. York

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

isn't a 338 good out to 1500yrds?

I've heard someone hitting a target out at 2500yrds with a 50

isn't a 338 good out to 1500yrds?
I've heard someone hitting a target out at 2500yrds with a 50

Depends on who is holding it. Heres the link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Number 1 on the list is a AI .338 lm at 2707 yds. Then the next two are Mcmillian TAC-50's. Then the barret is number 4. And that 2707 was two targets at that range.

Al I know is he called his gun Betsey and I think it was flintlock but probably could research it and find out ...............jmho

http://www.truewestmagazine.com/jcontent/history/history/ask-the-marshall/3859-what-happened-to-davy-crocketts-rifle-qbeautiful-betsy

Apparently we know of 4 -- these 3 and whatever he had when he died.  Likely there were a few more though ... had to be ...   2 of these were presentation items.

The OP needs to all a poll to the thread. My vote is still the Barrett because it was the brainchild of a Tennessean, designed and built in Tennessee. I know some are thinking vintage history and about some of our famous Tennessee hero's but you can't get any more Tennessee than the Barrett. Embrace the modern era. Plus the Barrett really pi$$es off the liberal anti-gun crowd. :)

The OP needs to all a poll to the thread.

Agreed. I just need the exact guns....

Barrett gun or Davy Crockett gun, what say the people?

It's a tough call for sure.

What have we decided "Davy Crocket's gun" entails?

Seems like every Tom dick harry and their granny has some sort of single shot shotgun

I also like the idea of some type of break action, single shot shotgun.  Simple, inexpensive but effective, solid, dependable and works for folks ranging from 'coon hunters to rabbit hunters to squirrel hunters to bird hunters to deer hunters to the aforementioned granny if she hears a bump in the night.  I think that even many members of Tennessee's version of the 'anti-gun' crowd probably have one or two of these around their home to use for HD, etc.  Not everyone can own a Barrett - pretty much anyone who wants one and isn't a felon could probably own a single barrel shotgun.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I also like the idea of some type of break action, single shot shotgun.  Simple, inexpensive but effective, solid, dependable and works for folks ranging from 'coon hunters to rabbit hunters to squirrel hunters to bird hunters to deer hunters to the aforementioned granny if she hears a bump in the night.  I think that even many members of Tennessee's version of the 'anti-gun' crowd probably have one or two of these around their home to use for HD, etc.  Not everyone can own a Barrett - pretty much anyone who wants one and isn't a felon could probably own a single barrel shotgun.

I'll add one to the poll if you give me a make/model and a reason that the firearm should uniquely represent Tennessee.
Guest Bassman17SC

Barrett gun or Davy Crockett gun, what say the people?

It's a tough call for sure.

Yep, since the 1911 has already been taken.  Go with the history or go with modern?  It is a tough call.

Hmm. A historical gun used by Davy Crockett would be cool, but the Barrett is still born and bred here. Tough call for sure.

I found this link to a reproduction of the first "Crockett Rifle".
http://www.caywoodguns.com/davy_crockett_replica.htm
I also found this bit of info from the link: "As an added benefit , the Crockett Rifle comes with a hand-made hunting bag, with two horns, belt knife, double bitted ax, brass ball mold, hand turned screwdriver by master builder, John Barrett. Mr. Barrett's work is in high demand and is the perfect companion to the heirloom Crockett Rifle." So, this rifle commemorates Davy Crockett and incorporates work by Barrett. However, A lot of people would refer to it as a Kentucky Rifle though, and that doesn't seem right for a TN State Rifle.

The Barrett is TN trough and through. Plus, as stated, the libs hate it. That sways me a little more towards the Barrett .50 (I think).

In keeping with the state's history of firearms, we need TWO state rifles! ;)

2011-08-20%2012.29.43.jpg  Old Betsy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mr7mhmch6vj7ux0/2011-08-20%2012.29.43.jpg

More info I found on anouther forum about Old Betsy. Maybe a Graham Rifle manufactured in KY?

The rifle is signed "J. M. Graham," is stocked in walnut with full patchbox and some inlay work, and was reportedly originally flint but through neglect over the years (after it was sold outside the Crockett family) got a percussion conversion and had its stock cut back to a half-stock. It comes with a history that involved the Crockett family, who claimed it was Davy's gun from the Alamo. Briefly, the story is that the gun was "recovered from the battlefield" and through its "inscription" was identified and eventually returned to Crockett's immediate family. The "inscription" was a recognition plaque or inlay from the presentation of the gun to Crockett on May 5, 1822 by citizens of Nashville, TN, in recognition of Crockett's service to the state while in Congress. The rifle was later sold out of the Crockett family along with a few other of David Crockett's possessions. Since that time, there is a pretty good history of the gun's whereabouts, as it went through a couple of private hands (where it was neglected and required the percusion conversion and shortening) and eventually back to the Long Barracks Museum at the Alamo quite a few years ago.

The gunmaker has been speculated on for years. It may have been James M. Graham of Franklin Co., KY, since he is the only known midwest gunsmith who fits the initials and was working in 1822...although you'd think the Nashville crowd would have commissioned the gun from a Tennessee gunsmith. I have only seen poor pictures of the front side of the rifle with patchbox. It's box is a little hard to place, not obviously a TN or a KY box, almost a touch of Maryland in it, if I recall correctly. It would be nice to see good photos of both sides of the gun, so we could make a more informed opinion as to where it was probably made. Shelby Gallien

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20856.0

Depends on who is holding it. Heres the link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Number 1 on the list is a AI .338 lm at 2707 yds. Then the next two are Mcmillian TAC-50's. Then the barret is number 4. And that 2707 was two targets at that range.

Agreed, my buddy has a 338 MRAD and a 82a1 and I have a 82a1 as well, we definitely are rookies...

#5 is a cheater...LOL....snipping with a M2 priceless

Gentlemen, I think a compromise is in order.  Instead of One Official Gun of Tennessee, why not have an Official Pistol, an Official Rifle and an Official Shotgun?

Therefore I propose the following:

Official Pistol: 1911 Colt's Automatic Pistol (not to be confused with the 1911a1)

Official Rifle: Barret M82

Official Shotgun: H&R Single Shot 12ga Shotgun (Representative of all single shot shotguns)

Now, what the heck is a .357 Magnum Glock?  Is this a new chambering for a Glock?  If so, I want one and would love to see someone produce a picture of it!

Official firearm of TN?

That's easy...  .30-.30

This, or a break-action .410 like used to be given to 6-year olds.  It would be fun if the official long arm of the state is the one 1st graders learn to shoot well - imagine what the grownups can do.  I'll admit I've never had either, but I love the idea.

Option 2: the official gun of the state should be whatever a resident happens to be holding at any given moment.