Franklin Drive-In

I haven't been to a drive-in since I was a kid, so we've decided to check out the Franklin Drive-In this evening.

Their website says that the gates open at 6:30 p.m. I think I remember being out that way one weekend, and cars were lined up on the shoulder for what seemed like a mile. Is this normal, or could it have been just one of those movies that everyone just had to see?

I haven't been to a drive-in since I was a kid, so we've decided to check out the Franklin Drive-In this evening.

Their website says that the gates open at 6:30 p.m. I think I remember being out that way one weekend, and cars were lined up on the shoulder for what seemed like a mile. Is this normal, or could it have been just one of those movies that everyone just had to see?

Cars use to line up like that back many years ago when they were really popular and it has probably not changed...Hope you enjoy the movie and have a comfortable car to sit in....... :up: :up:

We have one in Elizabethton and my wife and I were grinning from ear to ear the evening we went. The sights,sounds,smells and memories flooded back from when we were kids. The line was about 50 cars long to get in but well worth the time as we people watched. Kids never really change when they are allowed to play and run...they were half of the entertainment! I dare say you were in a line of memory minded folk out for a nice evening....very normal indeed. :usa:

yes. They still line up. I'm right up the street in ptown and usually go eat in Franklin on fridays.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I read something the other day that said many of the remaining drive-ins will be forced to close within the next several months. I guess the movie companies will cease sending drive-ins tape, opting to go strictly digital. With an average upgrade costing around $60,000, many won't be able to afford the cost to transition.

I read something the other day that said many of the remaining drive-ins will be forced to close within the next several months. I guess the movie companies will cease sending drive-ins tape, opting to go strictly digital. With an average upgrade costing around $60,000, many won't be able to afford the cost to transition.

Yup that's true I'm hoping me and my gf will get to go before that happens but with me busy it doesnt look like it will happen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest Bassman17SC

If they go full digital, could they also add an option to connect to your car speakers via Bluetooth?  That would improve the sound and most certainly get me going back to a drive-in.

If they go full digital, could they also add an option to connect to your car speakers via Bluetooth? That would improve the sound and most certainly get me going back to a drive-in.

That was one of the problems last night. We had to turn our radio to 91.5, but the static was almost unbearable. We didn't stay for the second movie because of the static issue.

The whole experience was pretty lousy. 5 other 10 minutes into the movie, the picture became so blurry, they had to stop the movie and clean the machine. The picture quality was still horrible after that.

We suffered through the static for a good while before I had to go ask the attendant (I think he was the owner) if this was an issue that could be fixed. He had me move parking spots, which seemed to help for a few minutes. When it began to happen again, I moved again. It was miserable.

While others around us had some static, it seemed like I was experiencing more than most. At times, it would get so loud that we couldn't hear the audio from the movie. If I placed my hand on the dashboard, the sound quality would clear up a bit. This was weird because I could pick up the Nashville radio stations just fine.

That was one of the problems last night. We had to turn our radio to 91.5, but the static was almost unbearable. We didn't stay for the second movie because of the static issue.

The whole experience was pretty lousy. 5 other 10 minutes into the movie, the picture became so blurry, they had to stop the movie and clean the machine. The picture quality was still horrible after that.

We suffered through the static for a good while before I had to go ask the attendant (I think he was the owner) if this was an issue that could be fixed. He had me move parking spots, which seemed to help for a few minutes. When it began to happen again, I moved again. It was miserable.

While others around us had some static, it seemed like I was experiencing more than most. At times, it would get so loud that we couldn't hear the audio from the movie. If I placed my hand on the dashboard, the sound quality would clear up a bit. This was weird because I could pick up the Nashville radio stations just fine.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I haven't been to the Franklin Ky drive-in, but I understand that it's one of the older ones in the area, don't know how well they've kept up with the technology.

However, I've visited the Hwy 50 Drive-in in Lewisburg many many times (before it closed, soon to re-open) and it is probably the oldest Drive-in in middle TN. Always had a great time there, and no problems with picture or sound. Also, I frequently visit the newer Woodbury and Watertown drive-ins, and have always had great experiences.

Don't write off the whole genre because of one bad experience. :)