9x18 vs .380

Guest Jester

Guest Jester

OK, here's one of those newbie questions I promised.

I recently purchased an FEG Hungarian PA-63 as my "tro" gun and as a carry gun.

I know, I know... I'll defend the reason for the purchase momentarily.

At any rate, it's a 9x18.

Now, being new to semi autos (I've carried revolvers for almost 20 years) I was told that it would shoot a .380 load.

In my investigations, I understand that the circumfrence of the shell is within tolerence, but that the length of the bullet may cause problems.

Does anyone have the inside skinny on this?

As for the purchase, I'd rather be carrying a $150 gun vs carrying a $400 to $600+ under the seat of the car during work days.

My employer doesn't allow handguns on the property(:D), so I'm doing good to keep one stashed in the car.

For evenings, weekends and trips, I bring out the cadillac artillery.

BTW, I do have 9x18 loaded in it now.

Dang! What I saved on the gun, I'm spending on shells. $20.00 for a box of 50.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I had the same problem with the ammo price. Get some at a gunshow, I picked some up a while back for $10 a box, my friend has found as low as $7.

The thing is, the 380 is not just a millimeter shorter than the 9x18, but also smaller in diameter. 9mm is .355" while 9x18 is about .363.

So the 380 round will not properly contact the rifling of the barrel in a 9x18. That could potentially be disastrous.

This is courtesy of the wikipedia ...

The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) (also referred to as the "9 mm Short", "9 mm Browning", "9 mm Kurz", "9 mm Corto" or "9x17mm") pistol cartridge is a rimless, straight-walled pistol cartridge developed by firearms designer John Browning. It was introduced in 1908 by Colt, and has been a popular self-defense cartridge ever since.

The 9x18mm caliber was the standard pistol caliber for Eastern European countries, many of which still use this caliber today. 9x18mm caliber uses a larger diameter bullet than other 9mm rounds. 9 mm Parabellum is 9.017 mm (0.355 inches), however 9x18mm rounds are loaded with bullets measuring 9.220 mm (0.363 inches). As a result, different bullets must be used to load 9x18mm cartridges.

The 9x18mm cartridge is not interchangeable with the more powerful 9 mm Parabellum, 9 mm Largo, and its ballistic performance is much closer to its little brother .380 ACP.

So a .380 is a 9x17, a makarov is a 9x18. I wouldn't shoot .380's in a makarov.

.380 utilizes approximately a .355 bullet. 9x18 Makarov is really 9.2 or a .366 bullet. Ergo, a .380 cartridge in a pee-aye 63 might fit and chamber, but that projectile is gonna rattle down the barrel with the extra space and both velocity (gasses getting by as the bullet isn't large enough to seal the barrel) and accuracy will suffer.

Can you do it? You betcha. Is it safe? Safety is relative. If you have a PA-63 in 9x18 loaded with .380 cartridges and a bad guy is pointing his weapon at you, you're dadgum right it's safe! If you are just plinking at the range, NO WAY is it safe.