A2 Build

mikegideon

Where did you score the upper? Like, used?

Long story. DPMS stripped receiver, with DPMS upper parts kit and rear sight kit. BCM stripped Gov profile barrel, with DPMS barrel parts, Shipped to Adco in Toledo to have the front sight block pinned to the barrel (requires jig, taper reamer, and vertical mill). Assembled the upper with my tools in my gun room.

EDIT: Can't be bayonetting zombies with a clamp-on FSB. If there's not a law against it, there should be :)

If you meant the upper receiver...Midway

Edited by mikegideon

Or, if you like Olympic better, one hundred fifteen dolla, also in stock...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/594705/olympic-upper-receiver-stripped-ar-15-a2-matte?cm_vc=subv1390591

BTW, you can still buy an A1 upper. The handguard is the bitch...

http://www.dpmsinc.com/A1-Upper-Receiver-Stripped_p_249.html

Edited by mikegideon

I actually wanted an A1. I'm just not willing to work that hard. The A2 is still in serious circulation in the military. Parts are gonna be around for awhile. The barrel assembly was the bitch, but you can order one right up if you wanna wait...

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=360

Hmm, I remember seeing A1 kits for sale a few years ago which included barrels, sights, handguards, pistol grip, stock, and a few other A1 parts. I built a commando replica using an old Colt A1 upper... even scored the metal carbine stock.

Nobody makes new A1 handguards, so you have to go with surplus.

I think it was shotgun news that I saw the kit. Handguards included. It was a while back but was cheap. There is actually a guy on gunbroker that specializes in all that retro ar stuff. It's where I got my A1 grip, original car handguards and metal collapsible two position. He's on there somewhere if you look around.

I think it was shotgun news that I saw the kit. Handguards included. It was a while back but was cheap. There is actually a guy on gunbroker that specializes in all that retro ar stuff. It's where I got my A1 grip, original car handguards and metal collapsible two position. He's on there somewhere if you look around.

Yep. There are sources. Just not new stuff, from what I could gather. Hopefully, this A2 will be enough to satisfy my retro urge. It's gonna be a fun shooter.

Thanks. 20" barrels are a challenge. Are you gonna do the slow twist pencil barrel? I had a tough enough time finding a government profile.

At this point it may end up with whatever barrel I can find. I bought an A1 parts kit on Gunbroker that included a barrel, and that did not go well. I ended up just putting the project in the back of the safe and leaving it alone. I need to get back to the search for a barrel.

Nice A2 build. You have just reinforced that I too need an 20" A2. No cure out there for black rifle disease that I know of that allows you to keep your brain or balls intact, there may be some cures if you are willing to sacrifice in these areas.

I noticed Sportsman's Guide has an A1 parts kit minus the barrel and lower. I did not look closely at the details but it seemed a little pricey so I thumbed on through their catalog without giving it much thought.

At this point it may end up with whatever barrel I can find. I bought an A1 parts kit on Gunbroker that included a barrel, and that did not go well. I ended up just putting the project in the back of the safe and leaving it alone. I need to get back to the search for a barrel.

You can always just order the Model One assembly and wait. It's a lot cheaper than the route I had to go. It's a government profile

You can always just order the Model One assembly and wait. It's a lot cheaper than the route I had to go. It's a government profile

I looked at it. I already have the front sight I want to use, and I think the pencil barrel will fit the overall style of this rifle better. I need to do some more digging on that to see what's "accurate" for this one.

I looked at it. I already have the front sight I want to use, and I think the pencil barrel will fit the overall style of this rifle better. I need to do some more digging on that to see what's "accurate" for this one.

Is it an A2 front sight? You know the deal on those, right? I agree with the pencil, BTW

Edited by mikegideon

Fill me in?

As best I can tell, the sight I have is an A1 front sight that fits the smaller barrel diameter. .625 maybe? I'd have to measure.

They're good for one time only, and have to be drilled with the barrel. If it already has pin holes in it, it's a fishin' weight. You can use a low runout drill press, but better off with a vertical mill. Once the holes are drilled with the FSB on the barrel, you gotta hit them with a taper reamer. There's a jig out there that's helpful, but it's 150 bucks. That's why I sent my stuff up to Adco. They're probably the best AR barrel shop in the US (quality, money, lead time). 105 bucks to drill and pin the FSB, and put all the parts on that have to go on first. .

The front sight is one time use? Not to disagree with you, but I've never heard that before. I've dealt with three different gunsmiths trying to get my barrel issue sorted out, and all of them were willing to install my existing front sight onto a suitable barrel once I found one. 

The front sight is one time use? Not to disagree with you, but I've never heard that before. I've dealt with three different gunsmiths trying to get my barrel issue sorted out, and all of them were willing to install my existing front sight onto a suitable barrel once I found one. 

Yeah, unless they get too reamed out somehow for pins to fit snugly, it's just the grooves in barrel that need to be cut (or re-cut if possible) to match.

Btw, just saw this in CDNN's new catalog:

cdnn-A2.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I didn't make that #### up just for you :). I found a consensus on this. Doesn't mean somebody won't hack one on. You can make it stay there with JB weld.

BTW... I've never put an A2 sight on a barrel before. Took a few off, but never put one on

Edited by mikegideon

I didn't make that #### up just for you :). I found a consensus on this. 

I'm not an AR guy, so I'm not going to say you're outright wrong. 

As a metalworking guy though, I don't think it's quite as extreme unless the sight is press fit critical, in which case why even bother with tapered pins? It may be more work to set up than a lot of gunsmiths/ home builders are set up for, but I see no reason a machinst couldn't set up a barrel and sight in a mill with everything indexed properly and make them work together just fine.

Just my thought though, and I've never built an AR upper before. :) 

I'm not an AR guy, so I'm not going to say you're outright wrong. 

As a metalworking guy though, I don't think it's quite as extreme unless the sight is press fit critical, in which case why even bother with tapered pins? It may be more work to set up than a lot of gunsmiths/ home builders are set up for, but I see no reason a machinst couldn't set up a barrel and sight in a mill with everything indexed properly and make them work together just fine.

Just my thought though, and I've never built an AR upper before. :)

I just went with what I read. If you buy a new FSB, it doesn't have any holes. You probably can make one work, but it ain't the way it's done. I built this rifle so it would support bayonets. I paid lots of attention to the fsb. I had no idea you couldn't reuse one. I had one in the box already.

EDIT: They have a way of doing stuff. I wasn't out to re-engineer anything. I just wanted an A2... the way they build A2's. The old salts on arfcom are pretty convinced. I may be wrong... they may be wrong, but I went with the right (wrong) guys. 

Edited by mikegideon