CCA Armorer & Sites

Guest Scottech

Guest Scottech

This past weekend I had a problem with my Sig P228 and the Big Dot front site sliding almost off the slide. This is the second pistol I've had problems with since my XD 40 SC also had the same issue with my Trijicon front site.

The unique thing is both sets of night sites were bought and installed at Coal Creek Armory. :screwy::doh:;):doh:

Any other CCA customers have this problem. I talked to a firearms expert friend and he said both the Sig and XD have similar wedge type front sites. I hope this is not going to be a problem in the future. I might have to look at a different HG manufacturer.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Did they use loctite, when installing it? I heard somewhere that they're a fan of the red stuff. :screwy:

But seriously... I've seen several, and read about even more, front sights go flying off while shooting. Problem was that the installer neglected to use loctite during the install.

Guest Scottech
Did they use loctite, when installing it? I heard somewhere that they're a fan of the red stuff. :screwy:

But seriously... I've seen several, and read about even more, front sights go flying off while shooting. Problem was that the installer neglected to use loctite during the install.

Nope. It seems to be a clean install. That was the question I had. I've talked to other armorers and the alswys use loctite! I heard the blue is the best becuase it holds but can be easily removed.

Nope. It seems to be a clean install. That was the question I had. I've talked to other armorers and the alswys use loctite! I heard the blue is the best becuase it holds but can be easily removed.

Blue has a far lower temperature tolerance. I don't think it would be the best choice for anything that gets hot.

Guest Verbal Kint

Yep, blue allows it to be more easily removed and installed. Red will lock it down like Ft. Knox. Which necessarily isn't a bad thing as you won't (under normal circumstances) ever be moving/removing the front sight. However, both grades will allow the sight to be removed if needed.

And, yes, you should always use some grade of loctite on the front sight when you install it. Otherwise, the recoil over time will send it flying more times than not. I've actually known a couple people that spend the money on night sights only to have the front sight pop off at the range and go flying into the grass or gravel. Not a fun time trying to find something that small.

I'd definitely let JWP take a look at it and make it right. Let them examine the fit on the sight to frame to make sure all is kosher, and then have them use the loctite. Then you should be good to go.

Guest Verbal Kint
Blue has a far lower temperature tolerance. I don't think it would be the best choice for anything that gets hot.

+1

I'd go with red on this application.

• Administrator
Yep, blue allows it to be more easily removed and installed. Red will lock it down like Ft. Knox. Which necessarily isn't a bad thing as you won't (under normal circumstances) ever be moving/removing the front sight. However, both grades will allow the sight to be removed if needed.

And, yes, you should always use some grade of loctite on the front sight when you install it. Otherwise, the recoil over time will send it flying more times than not. I've actually known a couple people that spend the money on night sights only to have the front sight pop off at the range and go flying into the grass or gravel. Not a fun time trying to find something that small.

I'd definitely let JWP take a look at it and make it right. Let them examine the fit on the sight to frame to make sure all is kosher, and then have them use the loctite. Then you should be good to go.

Pfft. Name something serious that you've ever used Loctite on. :screwy:

Oh. Wait. Missiles. Yeah... missiles. Forgot about that one.

;)

Yep. If there is a problem the best thing for someone to do is to bring it in and let us take a look at it and fix any problems that might have popped up.

Guest Verbal Kint

Oh. Wait. Missiles. Yeah... missiles. Forgot about that one.

;)

Yep. Among other things in the military sector. :screwy:

I think we used more grades of loctite, sealants, paints, lubricants, and other nasty hazardous products on a monthly basis than most people will ever come in contact during their lifetime.

Probably shaved off a good amount of my life, due to this as well. Luckily those wind up at the end of the spectrum, when I'd just be wearing diapers and calling family members by the wrong names anyway.

Guest Scottech
Yep. Among other things in the military sector. :screwy:

I think we used more grades of loctite, sealants, paints, lubricants, and other nasty hazardous products on a monthly basis than most people will ever come in contact during their lifetime.

Probably shaved off a good amount of my life, due to this as well. Luckily those wind up at the end of the spectrum, when I'd just be wearing diapers and calling family members by the wrong names anyway.

When I was in the AF my personal favorite hazardous product was MEK. Methyl Ethyl Ketone! That was some powerful stuff. Who needs other cleaning solvents and drugs...when you've got MEK!

Guest Verbal Kint
When I was in the AF my personal favorite hazardous product was MEK. Methyl Ethyl Ketone! That was some powerful stuff. Who needs other cleaning solvents and drugs...when you've got MEK!

;)

Yeah... we still had some of that floating around. Strong stuff.

I remember having a container of "elephant snot" that no one ever got rid of back when the AF was purging it all out of their haz lockers. Someone had the bright idea to dig it out and use it to remove the paint from the sensitive area signs ("No electronics, photography equipment, blah blah blah) so they could repaint it. Worked great, apparently, and they repainted the signs and made them look brand knew.

Unknown to me, they apparently had used the "elephant snot" on the signs while they were still hanging up (generously applying the chemical to the sign, mounting hardware, and half the door)... and then later took them down to repaint them. So I was tasked to put them back on the doors.

What's the first thing someone usually does when they have more than one screw and only two hands -- which one is holding the screw driver and the other is holding the sign up on the door? Yep... stick them in your mouth to hold them. :screwy:

Lemme tell you... the intense burning, that followed the tingling/numbing sensation was a religious experience. Damn near blacked out on my way sprinting to the bathroom to submerge my face under the water faucet.

Needless to say, I found the airman that applied the chemical and put my foot in his ass.

Guest Scottech

Took the P228 to CCA today and in less then 10 minutes the front site was reset, loctite'd and pinned.

I wanted to express my thanks to Jonathan and his great crew at CCA for excellent customer support. I never doubted CCA and thought it was possibly a problem with my choices in guns or night sites.

I'll most definately be going back to CCA in the future. :D

Edited by Scottech