Wanting to start

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best way to get into competitive shooting? I have wanted to get into it, but I just am unfamiliar with the whole process. Any suggestions?

Probably the easiest way is to simply show up at a match. Check and see what types of matches are available near you and go to one, even if it's just to watch the first time.

Strictly speaking, you didn't specify. What TYPE of competitive shooting? Handgun, practical, bulls-eye, rifle, etc.

Guest abailey362

Just find a match and go out and shoot it. I have made it to one 3 gun and one IDPA match, and at both everyone there has been very helpful. Just let em know that you are new, follow the rules and have fun. Just remeber that everyone started as a newb at one time or another.

Guest nashvillebill

Monday nights, after 6:00

Second Amendment Gun Shop Springfield, TN 615-384-5455

1st and 3rd Sat. Music City Tactical Shooters, MCTSclub.com

2nd Sat. Gallatin Gun Club, gallatingun.com

2nd Sat and Sun North TN. Practical Shooters in Dickson, NTPS.org

Manchester has Middle TN Shooters club, midtnshooters.com

Volunteer Pistol club is out east somewhere.

All Great clubs with people happy to help a new shooter or new competitor.

Probably the easiest way is to simply show up at a match. Check and see what types of matches are available near you and go to one, even if it's just to watch the first time.

Strictly speaking, you didn't specify. What TYPE of competitive shooting? Handgun, practical, bulls-eye, rifle, etc.

Heh..thanks. I meant pistol shhots. As far as any other info, well...I have none.

I don't know anything about matches, but I am wanting to learn. I have no idea what a 3 gun match is? I have looked up IDPA and a few other things. I am a total nub at this.

Guest gsbell

Brush Creek today at 1:00 PM

Small club very low key come on out but please bring your gun, holster and mags and we will have you shooting in no time. Really I've coached many shooters through their first match and would be happy to do so for you.

What do you have for gear to shoot?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=104871983603767646243.000444f29fb19b5dd4ea9&ll=36.112743,-85.978918&spn=0.237139,0.519104&z=12

Just find a match and go out and shoot it. I have made it to one 3 gun and one IDPA match, and at both everyone there has been very helpful. Just let em know that you are new, follow the rules and have fun. Just remeber that everyone started as a newb at one time or another.

Very true.

Last year I had the same thought as you Angus, I would like to try it but didn't know where to start. I found a local IDPA club (MCTS). I contacted them to say I wanted to come out and watch since I had never done anything like this before. They convinced me to go ahead and bring my gun and I'm glad I did. I had a new XD with the basic mag holder, 3 mags and the holster that comes with it. All the people were very nice and walked me through the basics with an emphasis on safety. I shot that day focusing on shooting accurately and handling the gun safely and didn't worry about speed. I had a great time and have been hooked ever since. Come on out and give it a try.

Edited by CatsEye
Brush Creek today at 1:00 PM

Small club very low key come on out but please bring your gun, holster and mags and we will have you shooting in no time. Really I've coached many shooters through their first match and would be happy to do so for you.

What do you have for gear to shoot?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=104871983603767646243.000444f29fb19b5dd4ea9&ll=36.112743,-85.978918&spn=0.237139,0.519104&z=12

Right now I have a revolver..Ruger Security Six. I am picking out my new .45 this winter. Looks like it is going to be a Ruger p90.

I really don't know if I am good enough to compete, but I do like the thought of it.

Guest gsbell

Everyone starts somewhere, when I started and shot the classifier I ended up a novice. I'll see you there at Brush Creek at 1:00 right? At least come out and watch.

I have heard of the Monday Night shoot at 2nd Amendment and though about checking it out. If some one can answer the following questions I would appreciate it.

How many people do they ussually have?

How many rounds do you shoot?

How late does it run?

What are the Fees?

I've been thinking about going to a match or two, just to watch. I've never competed, but I think I may be interested in it.

Gallatin Gun Club is probably the closest to us. If you'd like, maybe we can check it out sometime.

You can always practice a bit over at Guns & Leather. It's an indoor range, but they have computerized targets. It's not the same thing as the IDPA-type matches, but the targets move around. This would help improve quicker sight acquisition.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest gsbell
I have heard of the Monday Night shoot at 2nd Amendment and though about checking it out. If some one can answer the following questions I would appreciate it.

How late does it run?

What are the Fees?

I'd give the store a call and check I'm not sure that they run every week.

Guest gsbell

TDR,

Same offer to you! Come out to a match and I'll help you out and shoot the match with you to get you started. Don't come out to watch, come out and shoot. I can give you a run down of the range, commands, safety, etc in about 30 minutes right before a match.

How late does it run?

What are the Fees?

There are usually between 10 and 15 shooters every Monday.

60 to 70 rounds are pretty normal

We usually get out of there between 8:45 and 9:00pm

$10 entry fee

P.S. There will NOT be a match the Monday of Labor Day weekend.

Edited by CatsEye
TDR,

Same offer to you! Come out to a match and I'll help you out and shoot the match with you to get you started. Don't come out to watch, come out and shoot. I can give you a run down of the range, commands, safety, etc in about 30 minutes right before a match.

Thanks for the offer, gsbell. I may take you up on that.

How many rounds do they usually shoot during a match?

Guest gsbell

150 rounds is usually more than enough to bring for a 4-5 stage match. An IDPA course of fire is max'd at 18 rounds, you can shoot more if you need it.

Here is a link to the IDPA rule book for reference: http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

It may seem complicated but it really isn't. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy of a new shooter class outline that I used to teach new shooter classes for my old IDPA club in Michigan.

Guest cdsusong

I too wanted to see what it was all about so I went to a match. I took my stuff just in case, and I am glad I did. it was great, I was by myself and didn't know anyone there. within 10 mins. several guys came up and introduced themselves. That is what it is all about. It dosen't matter if you are a range hound or not. These folks will make you feel welcome and help you with any questions you may have. the key in the beginning is to be safe, have fun and just enjoy the new friendships you make. speed and accuracy will come over time. I have been to 5 matches now as well as a USPSA match. Both are great but I prefer the IDPA for accuracy over time. I find that if I try to blow through the targets my accuracy goes into the 5 point area frequently!

Guest macmonkey
TDR,

gsbell,

I'm in the same boat as many of these guys. I'm a new gunner but have been practicing diligently and have had ambitions to match for the past few weeks.

Do you think you might be able to help me out a little bit if I were to come out to one of your shoots?

Thank you

jw

Absolutely!

Send me a PM with your email address, I'll let you know what matches are coming up that I plan to be at and we will shoot together in the same squad for the match. Maybe we can get a few of the other guys to come out as well.