Explain your username.

The Ruger LCP was my first carry gun and my first active forum was the old ElsiePea forum, so I thought it would be approptiate on that forum to just call myself LCPfromTN...but added a twist by changing the "from" to "fra", which is Danish (my second language) for "from". After that, I just kept it simple by using the same username on all gun related forums and sites that I am registered on.

• 1 month later...

Just ran into this thread, better late than never.

I was watching Hawaii Five-O when I registered on TGO. For those who have never seen it, Lt. Commander Steve McGarrett is the main character on the show. I am a big fan of the old detective shows and I also like the new reboot of 5-0.

• Like 1

I had just got a new job and the first car I got to work one of the other techs had already looked at it and said it had a burnt valve. I spent a few minutes working on it and told the boss the injectors were stopped up. Took them off, cleaned them out and it fixed it. From that point on, the tech that had said it was burnt valves, started calling me Superman

• 10 years later...

I think there was a much more recent version of this thread, but since @Omega pulled it from the archives I figured I would respond. 

Pretty easy  Snaveba is A.B. Evans (my initials and last name) backwards. This goes back to trying to create an email address on AOL almost 30 years ago. Everything I tried was taken. AOL kept offering AEvans (and some number) so I just did abevans backwards. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I think there was a much more recent version of this thread, but since @Omega pulled it from the archives I figured I would respond.

I wondered why this didn't look familiar. Some interesting logic. I would have never figured abevenS though. I did wonder why we hadn't heard from Daniel lately. 

My ex called me Papa Bear when I had all 4 of our kids piled on my lap. It fit since I'm hairy and surly so it stuck. I was born in 1961 so since papa/papabear and most forms are usually taken...

When i was a kid my fam8ly called me Jordie, nickname for Jordan. When My niece was born and got old enough to start talking she couldnt say Jordie, so she called me Dottie. In the Marine Corps Dottie very quickly got turned into Spots and it just kinda stuck. 

I'm sure there is another name thread somewhere. I'm sure I posted to that one. But since we're here now, why not? 

When my sons were growing up I spent 12 years as a Boy Scout Leader. During that time I took an advanced leader course called Wood Badge. There I was assigned to the Fox Patrol.

My hair went completely gray in my 30s. Its a family trait. 🥴

It took my fellow Scouters all of about 30 seconds to dub me the "Gray Fox".  The nickname just sorta stuck. 

When I first registered here, it told me that name was already taken. So I just tacked on my birth year 1954. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Pretty easy  Snaveba is A.B. Evans (my initials and last name) backwards. This goes back to trying to create an email address on AOL almost 30 years ago. Everything I tried was taken. AOL kept offering AEvans (and some number) so I just did abevans backwards. 

Not me, just responded. I think I posted on another post like this but will add it here as well.  Most guys couldn't pronounce my last name so was just called Sgt O, when another soldier with another hard to pronounce name got assigned, I was called Big O due to my rank.  When I started playing call of duty I was going to go with Big O, but it could be construed as a different meaning so went with OMega, now across the net I use Omega, O-Mega or some other variation when the original is not available.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
32 minutes ago, Omega said:

Not me, just responded. I think I posted on another post like this but will add it here as well.  Most guys couldn't pronounce my last name so was just called Sgt O, when another soldier with another hard to pronounce name got assigned, I was called Big O due to my rank.  When I started playing call of duty I was going to go with Big O, but it could be construed as a different meaning so went with OMega, now across the net I use Omega, O-Mega or some other variation when the original is not available.

I think you should go with "Big O" and let us all embrace our inner 13-year-old selves. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Will Carry: 

I was on the Chattooga River, section 4, at the five falls section.  One of the five rapids is called "Sock'em Dogs."This rapid has killed some really good paddlers. As we walked downstream to scout the drop at Sock'em Dog, I took one look and said, "I think I will carry this rapid."  Then my buddy Joe says "Dang dude, I didn't drive 7 hrs to portage a rapid." I replied, "I didn't drive 7 hrs to die in one." This changed my attitude toward kayaking. I decided that I would portage any rapid I want to. I WILL CARRY!  I used to paddle with these guys that were better than me, they were Hair Boaters and every time I paddled with them, I was scared witless.  Knowing that I WILL CARRY any rapid I want to, allowed me to enjoy kayaking again.  We ran some unbelievable creeks and rivers, my favorites are in East Tennessee, Daddies Creek Canyon, The Tiny Piney River, Crooked Fork Creek to name a few. 

angit

image.jpeg

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Will Carry said:

Will Carry: 

I was on the Chattooga River, section 4, at the five falls section.  One of the five rapids is called "Sock'em Dogs."This rapid has killed some really good paddlers. As we walked downstream to scout the drop at Sock'em Dog, I took one look and said, "I think I will carry this rapid."  Then my buddy Joe says "Dang dude, I didn't drive 7 hrs to portage a rapid." I replied, "I didn't drive 7 hrs to die in one." This changed my attitude toward kayaking. I decided that I would portage any rapid I want to. I WILL CARRY!  I used to paddle with these guys that were better than me, they were Hair Boaters and every time I paddled with them, I was scared witless.  Knowing that I WILL CARRY any rapid I want to, allowed me to enjoy kayaking again.  We ran some unbelievable creeks and rivers, my favorites are in East Tennessee, Daddies Creek Canyon, The Tiny Piney River, Crooked Fork Creek to name a few. 

angit

image.jpeg

Was this fairly recent kayaking? Or like me, kayaking in the 80’s?

16 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Was this fairly recent kayaking? Or like me, kayaking in the 80’s?

It was back in the 80s-90s when section IV was class five.  Then they made a rule that whenever Will Carry runs a class V rapid, it automatically becomes a class IV.  I had a bad swim on the Lower Meadow in 2008.  Dislocated my shoulder and broke my Glenoid bone. After three surgeries I had to mellow out and started canoe camping.  That photo above is at Rock Garden on the Obed River, right above Mary's Crotch.  I expect you and I have shared an eddy at some time during those days. 

My first grandson was born with Downes Syndrome and didn't speak for a couple years. His first words that I heard him say was Pop Pop, so that kinda stuck. Boring, however I have been Pop Pop for 30 years now.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1