Average Joe Rifle Scope

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

My 27-year-old Tasco World Class 3-9x40 finally has given up the ghost after well over one hundred deer, antelope, exotics and muleys. It won't hold zero any longer. But I would say I got my money's worth for a scope that old, that I could replace new for about $70. Which is exactly what I may well do. I bought a Simmons ProHunter 2-7x32 for my son's .243, and it seems to be pretty well made for $80.

So, take into account a scope that covers the following, and please give your opinions and experience.

1. Clarity

2. Reliability

3. Value

4. Durability

Trying to stay in the $150 range.

Simmons, Tasco, Nikon, Bushnell?

:popcorn:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look into the Swift brand. They make a much better scope than Tasco or Simmons for not much more. Their base scope in 3x9x40 is about 120 and the same scope in their premier line is 175. One nice feature of Swift scopes is the no question asked return policy. if your scope fails for any reason just take it to a local vendor and they will give yo a new scope and send the defective one back.

Also in the 175 range is the Bushnell 3200 Elite. That is a very good scope. For under a hundred you can get a Bushnell Banner.

The website swfa.com has about the best prices on scopes. They also have a really good selection so you can compare a lot of different scopes.

JMHO but i would stay away from Tasco & Simmons (unless the Simmons is the Aetec line, they are nice).

for around $150 you can get a very nice used Nikon. Leupold's are held by some as the best, but i really like the glass in my Nikon. if you must buy new, then i would highly suggest the Bushnell 3200's. they are about the best bang for the buck in scope optics today...the glass is right up there with the higher dollar Nikon and Leupolds.

i've never been a "cheap scope" guy, but on the other hand one of my buddies will spend twice as much on the scope as he did the rifle its going on. i'm more of a middle of the road guy, so i like the Bushnell 3200's and the Nikons...not cheapys but nothing you have to mortgage the house for either...

check swfa.com and also check there samplelist.com (i think it is, there is a llink on the swfa.com website to it). that is there used optic list, most of the time its trade-ins or demo units with great deals on there...

Seeing as I saw my name in the post.....:D

I own both Simmons and Tasco brand scopes on my rifles.

My father lives and breathes by Tasco....so you know what I've heard all my life...

However, being a thrifty, but quality seeking person myself....I have eyeballed the Swift brands every now and then at gun shows and shops.

Guest Bronker

Yes, Avg Joe...I chuckled when I started this thread, only to see your screen name pop up in the thread above me.;)

So, I was hoping you'd chime in...because obviously, by the title...

I want your scope! So, gimme! :screwy::D

Guest Bronker
Send it back to Tasco. See if they will replace it. Can't hurt to ask.

Oh my stress...!!! I never thought of that! I just wonder what they'd do. Oh man, I'm gonna email them. Maybe they'll find the story and endorsement good enough. I have had it pushing 30 years. Great idea!!

Guest Mugster

I think you should look at the nikon prostaff series in a 2x7 or possibly a 3x9. Bout 120-150 new should get it in the door. I don't believe you can find a better optic for the money...and quite frankly you gotta spend alot of dough to get anything any better.