Hunt smartly

While sitting on the dove field today I had the opportunity to talk at length with TWRA officer Mike Murdock, Robertson Co. During the course of our conversation, the topic came up of a dove hunter inadvertently shooting the wrong species. Officer Murdock stated that he understood that it's usually just a mistake, but that he does write tickets for it. He feels that, as a hunter, you have the responsibility of being able to positively identify the species you are hunting. I agree, and this is also especially true when duck hunting. 

As we were talking, a kid, probably 16, shot a bull bat by mistake. It dove into the standing corn. The officer and several others saw what happened. Officer Murdock shock his head in disbelief and headed off into the corn to attempt to recover the bird. We were packing up to leave and drove off before they came out of the corn, but I am sure the kid got a citation, and rightly so. 

I have seen it happen many times on dove fields. Swallows, larks, starlings, kestrel hawks, and now bull bats, all fall pray to untrained hunters. I was hunting today with a broken leg, on crutches, really just to supervise the two kids I had out hunting with me. I don't have any doubt that my kid hunts safe and smart. She has had it drilled into her since before she ever went afield. I guess I just don't understand how a hunter makes these mistakes. Why don't they take the same due caution?

We also had a young woman shoot at a low bird that was between us and her. Thankfully we were just far enough apart that we didn't get peppered. Her husband walked over and explained to her not to shoot at low birds. She didn't do it again. I am sure it was a case where no one had explained the situation to her. However, it was a situation that could have ended with another hunter with a face full of 8 shot. I can't imagine taking a new hunter out and not stressing the importance of safe shooting beforehand. 

Please, if you take a new hunter out, make sure you take the time to teach them the importance of being a safe and responsible hunter. Don't be responsible for creating another "Bubba" hunter that doesn't respect the sport. 

BTW, Officer Murdock seemed like a helluva nice guy. Glad to have met him today. 

• Like 8

The safety talk for new hunters is important when a group is hunting a field.  We made sure the new hunters understood that you don't shoot at a bird that is below the top of the opposing tree line.  Also we always yell low bird if one dives low into the field.  It helps the new shooters to remember not to shoot the low birds.

Sunday my position was on the side of the field that bordered another property.  Someone over there shot at a low bird and peppered me real good.  Caught me in the left shoulder, neck and cheek.  Didn't break the skin but hit me hard enough to get my attention.  When I and couple of other hunters went looking for him, he snuck away.  I am guessing he was not supposed to be there.  

Dove hunting is a lot of fun but you do have to be careful.

Guest Bonedaddy

I got peppered a few times, Sunday but it came from far enough away that it was like sand fallin' outta the sky. No big deal. Hunters have to be spread out real good to prevent a high velocity pepperin' in case of low angle shots. Don't hurt to use shootin' glasses, either and a cap.

I have never encountered a agent in the field. Are they going around checking license or just safety supervising? Sounds like a nice guy.
I met one on the lake once. He was checking boater registration and looking for impaired boaters. He was a nice guy too.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I have never encountered a agent in the field. Are they going around checking license or just safety supervising?

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I have seen them on most TWRA lease fields. They check license, take bird counts, and just talk to hunters. Sometimes they sent office personnel to help with counts and parking and answer questions.

Yup.

Just a note, starlings are unprotected species in TN, shoot all you want. English sparrow and pigeons also.

- OS

True... Unless you are on a TWRA leased dove field. They usually post a notice on the field that states something like, "doves are the only legal game on that leased field."

I doubt you would get cited for shooting pigeons or starlings, but I'd avoid it on leased dove fields.

Yup.