Wonder why there are no jobs......

Randall53

Or maybe I should say....NO wonder there are no jobs......here in USA. I was in Sears the other day and had a little time on my hands.  I started looking at shirts and here is what I found.....Some of these shirts were expensive too.  The only shirt I found made in USA was by Arrow.

shirt1.jpg

shirt2.jpg

shirt3.jpg

shirt4.jpg

shirt5.jpg

Even the old Carhartt brand has sold out...

shirt6.jpg

Nope I don't wonder at all. I try like hell to only by US made. Looking for days for certain items. Almost always fail with clothing. I looked for a long time for Chef clothes and could only find one and they were 5 times more. I just can't pay $200 for something I can get just as good for $20. I still try though.
  • Like 1
Guest The Itis

Another perspective is that these type of jobs are the jobs that no one in America wants, and the standard of living we enjoy here is in large part on the backs of those overseas workers.

Can't just argue for jobs for the sake of jobs. There are jobs, but the education system in America is failing to produce people qualified to work them.

You think exporting sweatshop jobs is bad? Think about how America has to import educated foreigners to work tech jobs.

American labor is too proud for menial jobs, and too uneducated for tech jobs. That's why there is this impression that there are no jobs. It's an impression because fleshed out, it would say "there are no jobs that can make use of America's mediocre workers while meeting their entitlement attitude in terms of expected pay"

All in all, America lost at its own game of capitalism.

Nope I don't wonder at all. I try like hell to only by US made. Looking for days for certain items. Almost always fail with clothing. I looked for a long time for Chef clothes and could only find one and they were 5 times more. I just can't pay $200 for something I can get just as good for $20. I still try though.

You can find them, but not in brick and mortar stores. you have to order them online.  Here is where I buy American made jeans.  Very nice jeans, and they wear better than and cheaper than Levi's that are "imported"...you can even get them in 31 length.  Try that at Pennys or Sears...or any other walk in store!!    http://keepamerica.com/shop/relax-fit-mens-denim-jean.html

Here's another store I have used.  A little more expensive than the one above, but still right at the inported jeans price and Dockers prices for casual.  They also have some nice American made jackets in the mid $30 range. check out the polo shirts for under $30    http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

You can even find nice furniture, kitchen accessories and just about anything at surprisingly low prices if you do some research. Give it a try with your own online searches.  I did and it's the first place I go when I'm looking for something.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Another perspective is that these type of jobs are the jobs that no one in America wants, and the standard of living we enjoy here is in large part on the backs of those overseas workers.

Can't just argue for jobs for the sake of jobs. There are jobs, but the education system in America is failing to produce people qualified to work them.

You think exporting sweatshop jobs is bad? Think about how America has to import educated foreigners to work tech jobs.

American labor is too proud for menial jobs, and too uneducated for tech jobs. That's why there is this impression that there are no jobs. It's an impression because fleshed out, it would say "there are no jobs that can make use of America's mediocre workers while meeting their entitlement attitude in terms of expected pay"

All in all, America lost at its own game of capitalism.

I did all the hiring for my last 2 jobs and we ALWAYS had jobs available. I at one point needed to hire 45-50 people, put the ad out and got 6 applications that month. 4 turned down a 12/hr job because the was to little(only 1 had graduated from highschool) the other 2 never showed up for the interview.

I could go out today and find several jobs that pay 12-13hr that would provide benefits and 40hrs. They may not be the most glamorous jobs but if my family needed it I would.
  • Like 1
Ever think its cheaper to manufacture this stuff elsewhere because US business has been regulated into the ground? Why make it here and go out of business instead of making it else where and turning a profit? Seems like a no brainier. That isn't the manufacture selling out; that is the result of an over regulating government.
  • Like 7

Ever think its cheaper to manufacture this stuff elsewhere because US business has been regulated into the ground? Why make it here and go out of business instead of making it else where and turning a profit? Seems like a no brainier. That isn't the manufacture selling out; that is the result of an over regulating government.

We have a winner. You can blame most of it on the US government, with heavy emphasis on progressive idiots.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest The Itis

The complete opposite is true. A whole lot of American industries have gotten by on life support thanks to the huge intervening of the government. If you had your ideal hands-off government, jobs would've left America a whole lot faster.

It's just nonsensical to want to reduce government involvement when you're talking about global trade.

Not directed at you, but a lot of talk about jobs and outsourcing is rife with hypocrisy. People basically want a government imposed isolationism which would be a huge government involvement, but in the same breath actually talk as if they think they could survive the global stage if the government had less of a role. American businesses want the government to tax the hell out of imports or impose tariffs/restrictions and all of those other such manipulations in attempting to help domestic businesses compete.

Simply put, the ideal situation to American workers is to have the government step up in a big way to artificially raise the cost of imported goods so that American goods can appear competitive. In practice, this is just a convoluted way for the government to pay American workers the difference in wages between them and the overseas workers.

The complete opposite is true. A whole lot of American industries have gotten by on life support thanks to the huge intervening of the government. If you had your ideal hands-off government, jobs would've left America a whole lot faster.
It's just nonsensical to want to reduce government involvement when you're talking about global trade.

Not directed at you, but a lot of talk about jobs and outsourcing is rife with hypocrisy. People basically want a government imposed isolationism which would be a huge government involvement, but in the same breath actually talk as if they think they could survive the global stage if the government had less of a role. American businesses want the government to tax the hell out of imports or impose tariffs/restrictions and all of those other such manipulations in attempting to help domestic businesses compete.

Simply put, the ideal situation to American workers is to have the government step up in a big way to artificially raise the cost of imported goods so that American goods can appear competitive. In practice, this is just a convoluted way for the government to pay American workers the difference in wages between them and the overseas workers.

Dear Lord, you must be joking.
Guest The Itis

You must be joking if you think unregulated business in the US could still compete on the global stage.

The idea was pretty simple- you said a certain thing was the problem, so a thought exercise was to imagine the opposite and see if it changes the problem. It doesn't.

Well, the caveat being, it could work if you want America to look like those foreign nations, and drop the standard of living we enjoy.

Do you really believe the government should stop maintaining safe work environments? Would you be happier if you lost a family member due to unregulated dangerous workplaces because you could at least say you live without an over-regulative government?

Along those lines, workers who have no desire to learn skills DEMANDING higher wages and when market won't support it, going union.  This week fast food workers (in New York and other big lib cities) struck demanding a doubling of the minimum wage. 

I won't name the place but I learned that a place I formerly worked at has probably lost their contract.  They brought in the union at the location and told them, the only way to compete to keep the contracts are to FREEZE wages and for one portion of the group, remove some extraneous extra incentives.  No change to base pay or insurance packages.  They seem to think the management group was just bluffing and refused any changes to the agreement.  Now they will all be looking for employment.  Good work to that leadership group. 

Find your place in life and know what your abilities will bring.  Then live within those means and quit looking up at those willing to work harder, get smarter and produce more, with envy.

• Like 3

Thanks Mike.  It's a futile wish with all those looking up with envious eyes reinforcing each others thoughts that "hell yes you should make 16 bucks an hour flipping burgers", while telling doctors and engineers they should do their jobs for less than what it will take to pay off their educations because its just not fair the money they make.

Guest ThePunisher

The key for people to succeed and better themselves in this world is to have desire and a work ethic, something young people are not learning and developing from parents, and liberal public schools any longer. They are no longer willing to compete in life to achieve.