This is one good continuing trend. Ted Cruz

Guest 6.8 AR

I have yet to hear of any valid criticism of this man, and he is a delight to listen to. It

appears that he, by his message alone, is stirring support for people to get off their

collective asses and become engaged, once again. And this one from the Washington

Post is only the latest. Plenty more of these have been along the same theme. He

can't do it alone, and it would be nice if the good folks of our state gave him some

assistance. Hint, hint!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ted-cruz-enjoys-clear-edge-among-tea-party-activists-at-americans-for-prosperity-summit/2013/08/31/dc83d8c8-1180-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

He has held this administration's feet to the fire. Don't anyone try and tell me he will

become corrupted by the progressives. There are good candidates out there. His

competition in his primary was once a good governor of the state of Texas, but became

a progressive. He broke that trend. Now, it's time we found one for our own state. And,

for those who thought the Tea Party was a flash in the pan, open your eyes. If the Republican

Party won't allow change, it will get what it deserves. People like Cruz, Paul, Lee, West,

Pence and all the TP helped get to the House in 2010 will continue the push.

If you don't see a trend forming, how about opening your eyes? It takes more than one

election cycle, and it takes determined, focused candidates, along with the populace to

wake up, instead of standing on the sideline expecting disaster.

I drank the koolaid on this guy a long time ago as most of you know.  The reason he is so awesome is because he just does what is right, not what will get him re-elected... and that's what will get him re-elected.

he posted this to his twitter account a few days ago:

BS2Az6OCMAEqIvJ.jpg

Dude is right on the money, and as long as he stays true to this path, I really believe he may be the guy to kick start American exceptionalism again in 2016.

He is not the hope, but the start of a trend towards legitimate government. I'm not worshiping this guy, merely

pointing out his value, character and consistency. All it takes is to show character in DC and people eventually

get his message, regardless of how little the media portrays him. It doesn't hurt that he is an expert in his

chosen profession, either.

People can and often do change in DC, but I doubt this one will. Maybe one day he or someone like him will be

the president, again. He is living proof you don't have to be a career politician to be a good one.

6.8, I don't think many people are "worshipping" him. It's just astounding that someone is there and talking about right and wrong, and not playing politics with every single issue that comes up.

The really sad thing is that what he is doing isn't the norm.

I know, anyone deserves praise for being true to his word. Just so cliche when they're reduced to "blah, blah for president",

even if this could be the case with him. Cruz is a good guy, and I wish all the best for him. Following his path would be a

better course for others to do. There is strength in numbers, especially when they have a mind attached, instead of a bunch

of union goons.

I like Ted Cruz a lot, too bad he isn't qualified to become President, I'd seriously consider voting for him...  but just because he's a nice guy doesn't mean I can toss out the Constitution to see him elected.  He isn't a 'natural born citizen' anymore than Obama is, and principals are principals.

There's something I freely admit I know very little, but there are people on both sides who think he is eligible, more than

Obama was. I just don't know, but I'm not pushing for him to be president, either. He is a firebrand to re-populate the

Senate and House with decent pols. His value there is overwhelmingly positive for me.

He's a citizen but he is not a natural born citizen, as he has been naturalized by law as a US citizen.  If you look back to common law in the 1790's, it's quite clear that natural born citizens must be born to US citizen parents in territory under the control of the US government.

One of Cruz's parents was Cuban and he was born in Canada, and was issued a birth certificate, Canadian passport and Canadian citizenship (maybe also Cuban citizenship as well?), then he immigrated into the US and was issued a US passport...  That is a naturalization process under federal law, and therefore while a citizen he is not a natural born citizen.

I like the guy a lot, I just have an issue with Obama being President in violation of the constitution, and because I'm trying to be true to my values for the exact same reason I think Cruz is not eligible to be President.  That goes for Rubio as well....

Mike Lee from Utah would be VERY high on my list of dream candidates, Rand Paul obviously... Jason Chaffetz and Justin Amash are also at the top of my list.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 1

He's a citizen but he is not a natural born citizen, as he has been naturalized by law as a US citizen.  If you look back to common law in the 1790's, it's quite clear that natural born citizens must be born to US citizen parents in territory under the control of the US government.

I like the guy a lot, I just have an issue with Obama being President in violation of the constitution, and because I'm trying to be true to my values for the exact same reason I think Cruz is not eligible to be President.  

Supreme court has already ruled that a natural born citizen is the child of a citizen (not restricted to both parents) without regard to geographical location.

Edited by Sam1

SCOTUS has ruled on citizenship involving 1 parent having a child out of the country, to my knowledge there are no 'natural born citizen' cases that have been ruled on by SCOTUS.

Even if you take lower court rulings involving Obama, they don't apply to Cruz because Obama was born inside the US, Cruz was born outside the country.

Here is a note from 100 years ago, involving the election of 1916:

Long claimed that Hughes was ineligible because his father was not yet naturalized at the time of his birth and was still a British citizen. Observing that Hughes, although born in the United States, was also (according to British law) a British subject and therefore "enjoy[ed] a dual nationality and owe[d] a double allegiance", Long argued that a native born citizen was not natural born without a unity of U.S. citizenship and allegiance and stated: "Now if, by any possible construction, a person at the instant of birth, and for any period of time thereafter, owes, or may owe, allegiance to any sovereign but the United States, he is not a 'natural-born' citizen of the United States."

My suggestion that you can not be a natural born citizen unless you are completely free of allegiance to foreign states was the general consensus up until 1999 or so...  When McCain ran the first time and had to play tap dance around that section of the constitution.  

You had the same issue come up in the 64 Goldwater campaign because he was born in a territory instead of a state, and 68 with George Romney because he was born to 2 US citizens in Mexico.

And while we're harping on Obama to release his birth certificate, McCain NEVER released his, some think it's because it would have shown he was born off base, and therefore would not have been considered a natural born citizen.

The clear intent of our founding fathers was to prohibit any person with foreign allegiances from ever being elected President, clearly Obama which dual citizenship, and Cruz with the same both are disqualified under their intent.

Supreme court has already ruled that a natural born citizen is the child of a citizen (not restricted to both parents) without regard to geographical location.

I don't know anything about his wealth, but I understand he has had gainful employment his whole adult life, as opposed

to career politicians. What's his wealth have to do with it? Looking for dirt, Mike? I doubt there is any.

SCOTUS has ruled on citizenship involving 1 parent having a child out of the country, to my knowledge there are no 'natural born citizen' cases that have been ruled on by SCOTUS.

Even if you take lower court rulings involving Obama, they don't apply to Cruz because Obama was born inside the US, Cruz was born outside the country.

Here is a note from 100 years ago, involving the election of 1916:

My suggestion that you can not be a natural born citizen unless you are completely free of allegiance to foreign states was the general consensus up until 1999 or so...  When McCain ran the first time and had to play tap dance around that section of the constitution.  

You had the same issue come up in the 64 Goldwater campaign because he was born in a territory instead of a state, and 68 with George Romney because he was born to 2 US citizens in Mexico.

And while we're harping on Obama to release his birth certificate, McCain NEVER released his, some think it's because it would have shown he was born off base, and therefore would not have been considered a natural born citizen.

The clear intent of our founding fathers was to prohibit any person with foreign allegiances from ever being elected President, clearly Obama which dual citizenship, and Cruz with the same both are disqualified under their intent.

Yeah I misread those things, they have seen a bunch on the legitimacy of citizenship but also referred people back to the naturalization act of 1790 as you said previously when it comes to the question of "naturally born".  I think all court rulings and laws should have to fit on one piece of paper so simpletons like me can understand.

Edited by Sam1

The Naturalization Act of 1790 did state something about "natural born citizens", but that law was changed with the Naturalization Act of 1795 which removed the wording and it's never been placed back into the law.

Yeah I misread those things, they have seen a bunch on the legitimacy of citizenship but also referred people back to the naturalization act of 1790 as you said previously when it comes to the question of "naturally born".  I think all court rulings and laws should have to fit on one piece of paper so simpletons like me can understand.

I don't know anything about his wealth, but I understand he has had gainful employment his whole adult life, as opposed

to career politicians. What's his wealth have to do with it? Looking for dirt, Mike? I doubt there is any.

was just curious if he made money before going to DC or if it all came since.   None of them leave DC without getting rich.