Plow day

Spots

Well we plowed out the taters today. I thought Id post some pictures from todays plowing. We used a bull tounge and double shovel plows, leather draft harness and our 2200 lb belgian Big John.

Me and my dad started the morning. Working the kinks out since John hasnt been hooked in a while, so dad drove while I plowed the first few rounds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My niece and nephews each took a turn

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My 6 yr old nephew actually ran the plow by himself with dad driving

Posted Image

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 6

Then my mom took a turn. DSC_0018_zpse5231c56.jpg And I finished out by myself DSC_0082_zps8b2bbdc9.jpgDSC_0081_zps7dca3f7d.jpgDSC_0087_zpsec54b193.jpgDSC_0089_zps643cf6e5.jpgDSC_0090_zpsda36bdbf.jpgDSC_0099_zps78d69f9e.jpgDSC_0104_zps191d29c4.jpgDSC_0113_zps4a93de03.jpgDSC_0120_zps2267b43f.jpg And of course we had to do riding poses lol DSC_0129_zps6b674708.jpgDSC_0132_zpsca45b87f.jpgDSC_0135_zps5c0e544b.jpg And to me this pictures made the day. Ill remeber my dad like this forever. DSC_1764_zpsad79033f.jpg Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Edited by Spots
  • Like 7

Dang. Feelin' a little underpowered here... all I have is a shovel and gloves! Haha... It's great that you're getting some youngins exposed to it as well. Really great.

Gotta ask, about how many spuds did you end up with?

John is a great creature!!  I love big hosses.   We used to fool with 'em when i wuz a boy.  My grandad and uncle always kept one.   The neighbors down the road had a team that we worked in the wagon or sled... I've never seen anyone break ground with a turning plow; but ive seen lots of cultivating....

Thanks for posting these great pictures !!! It's a window into the past where it took a bunch of work to raise a garden or plant a field...

Thanks again.

leroy

• Like 1
[quote name="Pat" post="1024852" timestamp="1377996247"] Dang. Feelin' a little underpowered here... all I have is a shovel and gloves! Haha... It's great that you're getting some youngins exposed to it as well. Really great. Gotta ask, about how many spuds did you end up with?[/quote] Lol the horse is the fun part. There is always a lot of time spent in the garden with a hoe, as well as all the stuff that gets picked by hand. I think we got 5 bushel this year, we didnt plant a whole lot this year. Thanks for all the compliments guys. Im glad I could bring back a few memories, and show that the old ways aren't completely dead yet. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

Good grief, five bushels! That's a healthy crop, I gotta say. We probably got two bushels this year. Of course, we don't have no fancy equipment like you do! Hahaha...

Not to pry, but when did you put your spuds in, Spots? Seems a bit late to be harvesting. Ours are usually out by mid June or July.

Good grief, five bushels! That's a healthy crop, I gotta say. We probably got two bushels this year. Of course, we don't have no fancy equipment like you do! Hahaha...

Not to pry, but when did you put your spuds in, Spots? Seems a bit late to be harvesting. Ours are usually out by mid June or July.

We are some late, the rain has been killing us about getting in the garden. Its hard to plow out a mudhole lol. We planted 2nd or 3 rd week in March if I remember right

We are some late, the rain has been killing us about getting in the garden. Its hard to plow out a mudhole lol. We planted 2nd or 3 rd week in March if I remember right

I hear you there. That's about when we put ours in, though. It's usually around the 17th of March, haha... eh, how long can you keep your spuds before they start to rot? Usually ours are mostly eaten up by mid winter, and by then, there's also some signs of rot, and a lot of putting off eyes and... tentacles.

Sorry, Spots, but potatoes are fun to talk about!

That's awesome. Nice to see some horse drawn equipment used for something other than yard art. :up:

Thanks man. We have 53 plows at last count, all functioning and used regularly. We also have a mowing machine, couple of disc, 2 or 3 hayracks and several sleds and drags. Stuff gets used here, not for decoration lol.

I hear you there. That's about when we put ours in, though. It's usually around the 17th of March, haha... eh, how long can you keep your spuds before they start to rot? Usually ours are mostly eaten up by mid winter, and by then, there's also some signs of rot, and a lot of putting off eyes and... tentacles.

Sorry, Spots, but potatoes are fun to talk about!

We usually have spuds most of the winter and at times into the spring, keeping them in the tater cellar.

We barely made our seed back this year in the potatoes.

My horse is a Kubota. :shrug:

Ive heard that from a lot of people. I think the rain rotted a lot of peoples stuff in the ground.

Beats a tater fork any day!

Yeah its a whole lot faster and much more fun.

I think I've said this before, that's one friggin big horse.

Yeah hes a big ol' boy. Gentle as a kitten though.

I envy your lifestyle. I'd forgotten how hard my granddad used to work me and my uncles, but we enjoyed the work because we were together. Brings back memories.

It is hard work, but just like the masonry work I do, people doing manual labkr together find a way to have a good time doing it.

Awesome stuff Jordan. I miss the old days I grew up in! Thanks for sharing!

DaveS

I have every intention of keeping the traditions alive so people can see what it was like.

What enjoyable pictures and thread! Thank you!

Looks like your all set if TSHTF and not depend on fossil fuel.

The youngsters are going to have very fond memories of their experience all their lives :up:

Stuff like this makes my heart happy, happy, happy!

I'm glad we could make you happy lol. One of the reasons we take pictures now is that my dad and mom won't always be there for the Grandkids to remember, and someday everyone will be to busy to come help in the garden. So make the memories now and they will last a lifetime

This is some cool stuff, Spots. I'm usually about making things easier, but this is cool.

Honestly that is the eaiser path. The other two options are doing it by hand or dragging the rototiller out and using it to plow. Those are both hard and more of a pain than the horse. There is no point in bring the tractor out, its to hard to maneuver in the fenced in garden.