Threads going south

Shug

Some technical or complicated matters could perhaps go on for a long time without splintering, but many topics are tapped out in not too many posts.

It seems a matter of politeness to avoid dragging a thread off topic as long as it doesn't yet seem tapped out.

On the other hand steelharp is correct that intergalactic house of pancakes is better than waffle house, though sometimes shoneys is purt good as is cracker barrel. But my favorite was a joint that went out of biz in chatt long ago called butches ham and egger. Another goodun was Sambos but the name was too politically incorrect.

I remember Sambos...if we are thinking of the same chain then the one I was familiar with was in Waukegan Illinois - I was stationed at Great Lakes and there was a Sambos we went to often (mostly because I think it was open 24/7...had tiles on the wall depicting the story of little black Sambo turning the tiger into butter (I had and might still have the children's story book)...yuup...TOTALLY politically incorrect today!

I remember Sambos...if we are thinking of the same chain then the one I was familiar with was in Waukegan Illinois - I was stationed at Great Lakes and there was a Sambos we went to often (mostly because I think it was open 24/7...had tiles on the wall depicting the story of little black Sambo turning the tiger into butter (I had and might still have the children's story book)...yuup...TOTALLY politically incorrect today!

That's the one.   We ate there all the time, till it was deemed non-pc and our nearby locations were bought by Village Inn (IIRC).

broaden your horizons, break out of the "Breakfast, lunch, dinner" box.

Hell, I eat soup stright out of the can, that should tell you what level Im coming from

Aint nothin' wrong with soup from a can.  but BLT is a no no for breakfast.  Lettuce is not to be consumed until after noon.  Unless your a liberal or european or something.

[quote name="sigmtnman" post="1026328" timestamp="1378234178"] mmm,,, boiled peanuts.[/quote] I thought it was weird when I moved to TN that you can't find them anywhere. In Florida there's a roadside stand every 10 ft. I used to love riding with grandpa cause he'd always stop and get a few cups when we passed one. Edited by TMF

I thought it was weird she I moved to TN that you can't find them anywhere. In Florida there's a roadside stand every 10 ft. I used to love riding with grandpa cause he'd always stop and get a few cups when we passed one.

It is weird, you can still find the random sketchy boiled peanut shack/pot(kettle/55gallon drum) just across the line in NC still but I've not seen any here since we moved up in 2001.  I swear we used to get them up here as a kid though.  My mom and uncles were the same way, if there were boiled peanuts for sale and we had none, we soon had some.  :D

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Moderators

Ha, when I'd deploy to Iraq my mom would send me instant grits in packages, along with canned boiled peanuts.... a staple in that part of Florida.

The last time the wife and I went to Florida we stopped and bought some boiled peanuts from a roadside stand. I'll be honest, I don't get the allure at all. I found them to be just plain gross. Blech!
  • Like 1

The last time the wife and I went to Florida we stopped and bought some boiled peanuts from a roadside stand. I'll be honest, I don't get the allure at all. I found them to be just plain gross. Blech!

My wife is the same way. She thinks its the nastiest stuff ever... I just don't get it. They're awesome. Especially about 15 years ago many of the roadside vendors would make Cajun boiled peanuts as well as the regular. But then again, she thinks sweet tea and grits are gross too.

How about peanuts in an 8oz coke?

My wife is the same way. She thinks its the nastiest stuff ever... I just don't get it. They're awesome. Especially about 15 years ago many of the roadside vendors would make Cajun boiled peanuts as well as the regular. But then again, she thinks sweet tea and grits are gross too.

You married a yankee huh?