Sig experts, I need your help.

Patton

If someone was very familiar with a Sig 226 would they have any complaints with a Sig 220? I know the controls are will be the same but will the 220's thinner grip be a lot of concern? Is the 227 truly a 226 twin except for the caliber?
Guest Bassman17SC

I am not an expert, but I will try to help here.  I own a Sig P226 EE and an M11A-1 (both in 9mm).

1. Sig's "classic" P-series models have the same basic frame configuration.  They do vary to account for barrel lengths, the existence of rails, magazine capacity, etc.

2. The frame is apparently closer related to a P224 (as far as the cut).

3. I found a post in another forum on a newly purchased P227 and the fellow extols the virtues of the new pistol.  First, the mag release is the same as a P224; the takedown lever is the same as a P226, and it uses the EE grips with a magwell.  He says that the EE grips really work well on the P227, although he hates them on other P-series pistols.  The older P250 (.45ACP) magazines work, but the standard ones that come with the pistol are supposedly the ones made in Italy by Mec-gar.  Oh, and it appears that they are using the "short" extractor.  It also seems that you can swap a P220 "upper" (I am assuming the entire slide assembly) with the P227.

So to answer your question, is no, the P227 is NOT a modified P226.  While they use some parts from the P226 and P229, the frame is more like the P224.  As mentioned above, you can swap the P220 slide assembly with a P227 frame and vice versa.

Edited by Bassman17SC

If someone was very familiar with a Sig 226 would they have any complaints with a Sig 220? I know the controls are will be the same but will the 220's thinner grip be a lot of concern? Is the 227 truly a 226 twin except for the caliber?

*not an expert* but just got back from the local fun shop and got to handle a P227 firsthand, and it felt just like a 226. There is a really nice thread over on Sigforum about the subtle differences. If you like the P226 I don't see how you would be unhappy with either the 220 or 227. Edited by hlb14

I have the p228, p226 and p220.  I'll add that the p226 and p228 shoots a hair better than the p220.  My p228 and p226 are both the older W. German make and it seems tighter all around.  The p220 is a more recent make (not in Germany) and while it's accurate enough - I believe it when they say the older Sigs are nicer.  

There is (my experience) a difference with the trigger (smoother on the German ones, it could be just broken in?) AND even the way the decocker works... I can't describe it but I like the older German ones better.  When you work decocker - the action is very pronounced and it holds the hammer firmly until you drop the decocker all the way.   The non W. German p220's decocker seems a little less crisp. 

To answer your question - the grips all feel the same. 

oh - it's great that all 3 of the Sigs fit well in the same holster.

220nf4.jpg

Edited by vujade
  • Like 1