So I see some conflict here...

We here in Cookeville have something called the Fall Fun Festival, this year one of the main events is the appearance of a gent I went to high school with, Rich Froning Jr. I saw this post on my facebook and then noticed something about it and then just laughed at the irony. A local buger joint, Flippin' Burgers if you must know which and I won't lie as I love eating there lol, known for building up their business on the same principles as Five Guys, giant @$$ burgers and enough fries for a years worth of starch is sponsoring this ad on FB...

1176374_573218279405102_626800502_n.jpg

If you didn't know, Rich Froning Jr. is the fittest man on earth(http://games.crossfit.com/video/fittest-man-earth-rich-froning) three times running, I just thought it was IRONIC as HELL that a burger joint known for its GIGANTIC outlandish burgers was promoting this, lol. Nothing wrong with it, just me finding this funny. :p

• Like 1
There is irony here. What I find ironic is what healthy people can and cannot eat.

Take a super healthy person, one who eats leafy greens with every meal and never goes above their aloted calorie intake and has cut red meat out of their diet (or better yet a vegetarian or best of all a vegan)

No take said healty person who's body is a fine tunes machine, and take them out for a big ole greasy pizza or burgers. They'll be sick as a dog every time. How is that healthy? My stomach can probably digest rocks. I know for a fact it can handle amounts of pulled pork butt that would choke a donkey. Now that's healthy! My stomach may be groing, but I can ways buy bigger pants. My endurance may be shot, but what the hell, I drive everywhere anyway. The important thing is that for me and my ilk, there is no such thing as an inedible meal.

Clean living is overrated.
  • Like 2

There is irony here. What I find ironic is what healthy people can and cannot eat.

Take a super healthy person, one who eats leafy greens with every meal and never goes above their aloted calorie intake and has cut red meat out of their diet (or better yet a vegetarian or best of all a vegan)

No take said healty person who's body is a fine tunes machine, and take them out for a big ole greasy pizza or burgers. They'll be sick as a dog every time. How is that healthy? My stomach can probably digest rocks. I know for a fact it can handle amounts of pulled pork butt that would choke a donkey. Now that's healthy! My stomach may be groing, but I can ways buy bigger pants. My endurance may be shot, but what the hell, I drive everywhere anyway. The important thing is that for me and my ilk, there is no such thing as an inedible meal.

Clean living is overrated.

I literally LOLed...

Guest Lester Weevils
My dad and stepmom are older than dirt, and wife's folks are about the same age. My folks are carnivorous baptists and wife's folks are strict vegetarian adventists. My folks are in truly sad physical condition but they are surprisingly alert. Wife's parents are in excellent physical condition for their age, but mentally in poor shape.

Granted that is a small sample and perhaps only coincidence-- Would a fella prefer to grow old alert enough to witness one's own falling to pieces? Or is it better to grow old in fabulous shape but too senile to enjoy it? :) Edited by Lester Weevils
I've heard of Rich Froning Jr. Probably from following Crossfit principles (loosely) for the last several years.

The thing about eating healthy is that we've been fed (no pun intended) a load of bull for decades. Our brains NEED saturated fat to function correctly, or so I've read. Vegetarian/vegan diets are not so healthy. They have to be very cognizant of exactly what they're eating in order to supply their bodies with proper nutrition.

I don know what Mr Froning eats, but I bet he's not a vegetarian. If I had to bet, I'd say he roughly follows a paleo-type diet, as many Crossfitters do. Which involves plenty of meat as well as vegetables.

I think Lester's example is pretty indicative. I'd also bet that if his parents had modified their diet slightly and gotten lots of exercise that they would be in as good a shape as his wife's parents and still have better mental acuity.

Looking at my own family, my maternal grandparents were farmers. Plenty of meat and other real food. My grandfather was born with a heart murmur and still lived to 84. My grandmother lived to 93 and was sharp as a tack until her last breath.

Will

Well, I can add a little to this when it comes to eating healthy. All my life growing up we ate most all our foods that we grew right on the farm. Yep All the veggies and stuff came from our garden and all our meat from chicken to steaks with a little hog thrown in at every meal. Well as I got older I began listening to folks talk about this food and that food and what you should eat and what you should not eat and soon was became a label reader and I tried to be a safer eater I thought anyway. I had gained a few more pounds than I thought I needed so began eating less fried meats and more roasted meats or out door grilled meats and fish. Was beginning to field pretty good about my health and was trying to decide one evening what I wanted to cook. Decided I would treat myself and dine out at a fast food place and take the night off from cooking. Went to Wendy's, got a double cheese Burger w/ mayo, small fries and a small frosty and came back home to eat. This was at about 6 PM. At 8PM I was at Centennial Medical Center Hospital after suffering my first Heart attack at age 55 on Thanksgiving Weekend 2003. That was also the first time I had eaten out at fast food in about 10 years and my first time to ever eat at a Wendy's. Now I have stints in my heart and have not been back to Wendy's. Oh yea  have not been to any other burger joints either. If I want a  burger now it is a  Deer burger made from pure deer and cooked on my grill. Now with all that said I don't blame Wendy's for my heart attack. It was my choice to eat out. I just thought of how ironic it was that first time in years I ate out, first time I ever went to Wendy's and first heart attack all in a span of about 2 hours. I know anyone can have a heart attack but it was all the timing I thought was ironic.......... :2cents:  :2cents: