this is probably small to most but i just built my first lower. everything went smooth with no scratches. the only problem was i lost the detent spring for the take down pin. i was proud to get the "hard" one in and then lost the other while putting to buffer tube on.

• Like 4
Guest Riciticky

I always use a bucket with a rag in bottom for the hard spring. Also you can get a gate latch with holes in it at tractor suppy to help you out.

Guest 6.8 AR

I think a lot of folks have launched those springs at least once. You ain't alone. I've put a few dozen together and it can be

a recurring nightmare. My pocket knife has saved me several times.

I have probably lost dozens of them over the years.

I have threatened for years to make a detent tool to make installing the front detent foold proof. I have a design floating around in my head I think will work.

The regular tool is only like 5 bucks at Brownell's, and is pretty cool. It's just a rod the same size as the pin with a hole in it. You push the spring and detent through with a punch, and then turn it 1/4 turn. Then you push the takedown pin in and push the tool out, just like a slave pin. I just never thought about getting one when I had an order coming from them. And, a blade works so well.

Edited by mikegideon

The regular tool is only like 5 bucks at Brownell's, and is pretty cool. It's just a rod the same size as the pin with a hole in it. You push the spring and detent through with a punch, and then turn it 1/4 turn. Then you push the takedown pin in and push the tool out, just like a slave pin. I just never thought about getting one when I had an order coming from them. And, a blade works so well.

They stole my idea. Seriously, I never knew it existed.

• Like 1

They stole my idea. Seriously, I never knew it existed.

I seriously thought about throwing one in my cart when I was buying parts for this current build. The knife just works so well that I passed on it. I even bought roll pin starters and a bolt disassembly tool this time around.

I did my first build a year ago, and I went ahead and picked up this tool while ordering my punches. Also used it to help a friend build his lower. Worked as advertised.

I did my first build a year ago, and I went ahead and picked up this tool while ordering my punches. Also used it to help a friend build his lower. Worked as advertised.

No doubt it's the safest way to do it. I've just had such good luck with a blade, that I haven't felt the need. If I had it, I would use it. The blade works well, but there is a pucker factor :)

No doubt it's the safest way to do it. I've just had such good luck with a blade, that I haven't felt the need. If I had it, I would use it. The blade works well, but there is a pucker factor :)

I've used the razor knife blade for my three, seen on a YouTube vid when I tackled first one, works fine. Doubt if I would have thunk of that myself, at least right off the bat.

I've also used a large clear plastic bag working on stuff that can fly away. Most of the time, anyway. I did lose a buffer retainer spring somehow or another once. I mean, like gone forever, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

you can go to the hardware store and buy a $1 clevis pin that works just as well similar to one in the link . http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Clevis-Pin-2MVF2?Pid=search