AK, Co-witnessing Red Dot

Twin

Ok, I'm looking at a red dot sight. And everyone is talking about finding one that will co-witness on the ak. I found one that will, but my question is, why would you want to? On an AR that has flip up sights, sure. But doesn't having a red dot co-witnessed on permanent irons sorta defeat the purpose of having the sight at all? Thoughts?

Edited by Twin
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No. If your doing it right you can use the red dot for quick shots and then switch to the more precise iron sights with the simple close of an eye. It also helps having the red dot light up the front sight as they can be hard to see on an AK. Kind of like having a FO front sight. So IMO, you get the bet of all worlds. BTW with the TWS I get a sight radius at lease 4" longer than an standard AR and the rear sight is behind the red dot like it's supposed to be. Other mounting options won't do this and I don't care for co-witnessing with both iron sights in front of the dot.

On my MAK90 with a TWS Dog Leg rail and a Bushnell TR-25 I can get a good co witness and love it for the reason mentioned above. On my Draco SBR I'm using the Vortex SPARC with an ADM QD mount that doesn't co-witness, but the Draco has a hooded front sight and I don't want to cut it off and that gun is more of a quick acquisition gun, so co-witness is unnecessary.

Ok, thats what I'm dealing with. I've got a MAK-90 and am looking at putting the Bushnell on it. The TWS is back-ordered I think, and a bit expensive though. So I was looking at the Ultimak. But, if your having to look down the irons, whats the point in having the red dot though? Especially if your having to look through that peep sight.

And, I've never used a red dot sight. So, is it worth the expense?

No. If your doing it right you can use the red dot for quick shots and then switch to the more precise iron sights with the simple close of an eye. It also helps having the red dot light up the front sight as they can be hard to see on an AK. Kind of like having a FO front sight. So IMO, you get the bet of all worlds. BTW with the TWS I get a sight radius at lease 4" longer than an standard AR and the rear sight is behind the red dot like it's supposed to be. Other mounting options won't do this and I don't care for co-witnessing with both iron sights in front of the dot.

On my MAK90 with a TWS Dog Leg rail and a Bushnell TR-25 I can get a good co witness and love it for the reason mentioned above. On my Draco SBR I'm using the Vortex SPARC with an ADM QD mount that doesn't co-witness, but the Draco has a hooded front sight and I don't want to cut it off and that gun is more of a quick acquisition gun, so co-witness is unnecessary.

Edited by Twin

Ok, thats what I'm dealing with. I've got a MAK-90 and am looking at putting the Bushnell on it. The TWS is back-ordered I think, and a bit expensive though. So I was looking at the Ultimak. But, if your having to look down the irons, whats the point in having the red dot though? Especially if your having to look through that peep sight.

If you want long term reliability, YES. Get an EoTech or Aimpoint. I like the ET reticle better but AP has RIDICULOUS battery life.

If you want long term reliability, YES. Get an EoTech or Aimpoint. I like the ET reticle better but AP has RIDICULOUS battery life.

None of those will come close to co-witnessing unless you get the AP micro's.

D&T Arms can get you the TWS. As far as the peep sights you don't have to look through them but you have the option.

Well, do they make a noticeable improvement in speed? Is it a life saver or a luxury?

Absolutely. Think of red dot's like you are playing a first person video game or using a laser. Only difference is the laser isn't seen by the target - only ON the target. ;) 

I just bought a Primary Arms red dot for my AK. Haven't installed it yet but it's supposed to be a co-witness using the Ultimak mount. I really think it will work well. I've had an occasional issue with getting the front post and the guard mixed up. I guess that's called old fart syndrome, but this should take care of it. Plus, I think it would pretty much make the gun a pick up and deliver accurate fire down range by anyone regardless of their experience. Primary Arms gets good reviews and this one is the latest improved model.