Anyone here ever have a Remington Sportsman 74 in 30-06?

musicman

'Cuz I'm getting one from a co-worker tomorrow. I'm not crazy about the gun, but the price is just too good to pass up, and it's already scoped. I shot it a few weeks ago and it ran 2 boxes of cheap monarch flawlessly, and very smoothly... recoil was almost nothing to speak of with that automatic action soaking most of it up!

He's just got the one magazine for it... the handgunner in me wants more! I have never had less than 6 mags for any firearm. I know that's not the point of this rifle, but a spare never hurts, right? Any tips on where to procure one for a reasonable price? Also, the foregrip is cracked pretty badly. I'm going to wood glue a chunk that is split back down, but there is still going to be a sliver of wood missing. If I can find a replacement I might just swap it out.

I've had an AR, Mosin, and a levergun for a long time, but just this year I've started getting into real rifles, starting with a .270. I kinda' dig the idea of having 4 rounds of stout 30-06 power at my trigger finger, without having to manipulate a bolt between shots.... hehehe!!!... think there's a way to mod some 20rd AR10 mags to fit this sucker?!?!
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda' dig the idea of having 4 rounds of stout 30-06 power at my trigger finger, without having to manipulate a bolt between shots.... hehehe!!!

You need to pick up a Garand for 8 rounds of .30-06 in semiauto :D

Spare mags are hard to come by, best luck would likely be gunbroker or checking small gunshops. A new forend would likely be cheapest to buy the same gun with a good forend, swap them out then sell the messed up version. Sad but true
Nightrunner, I agree, but it's been awhile since you could pick up a Garand for under two bills! :-D

Frank, thanks! From the little reading I've done on these, they seem like the red-headed step-child of the Remington family... but I have a thing for red-heads, so it's cool. ;-) Like I said, it shot really well for me and was super easy to handle. Sure it doesn't really look cool, but whatever. I'll try to throw up a few pics after work today.
Guest CZ2075

I shot my first deer and several others with one. It wasn't very pretty, but it was reliable and reasonably accurate. I should have kept it, but I was swayed by the lines of the BAR. You can back order mags from Midway, but they are not cheap. Enjoy the new rifle.

I once had a 742, which was just a newer model. It was a fine rifle in my opinion.

You might check ebay for mags. The usual suspects; Midway, Brownells, etc. should stock them, but they ain't cheap anymore. At one time there was a 10 round mag available for them.