Could this lead to a possible zombie-like scenario?

JAB

Okay, the thread title is a little tongue in cheek but not entirely.  It seems that some scientists are claiming to have found a way for one person to control another person's body by linking the two individual's brains via a computer.  They are calling it a 'mind meld'.  I call it 'seeds of the zombie apocalypse'.

http://now.msn.com/human-mind-control-could-be-soon-a-reality?ocid=ansnowex

Sure, it might seem a little far fetched, now but think of the potential, future applications - both good and bad.

Need to send people in to a dangerous environment (say an accident site with high radiation levels) where a robot may not have the manual dexterity to take care of the task?  Well, take corpses, install things like pacemakers and other 'life support' type equipment to keep their circulatory system functioning, lungs working and so on (keeping their bodies technically 'alive' even though the person is dead) wire their brain for wireless Internet access, strap a camera to their head and allow a living expert to control the body remotely so that only the remotely-controlled corpse is actually exposed to danger.

Of course, the military potential of such a capability would be obvious - as well as the possiblity that an increasingly militarized police force could make use of it.

Or maybe even go the full-on cyborg route.  Use the corpses of recently deceased donors, integrate the aforementioned 'life support' equipment along with the equipment needed to interface with the brain into an armored, cybernetic 'suit' and you'll have an unfeeling, uncaring, unthinking zombie 'Terminator' (or Robocop) that can be remotely controlled by anyone with the right equipment.  Heck, someone with the right training might be able to control two or three at the same time.

Now think if terrorists or similarly unbalanced people got ahold of that technology.

Like I said, a bit far fetched but it is an interesting mental/imaginative exercise to think about the potential for advances in such technology in the future.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Okay, the thread title is a little tongue in cheek but not entirely.  It seems that some scientists are claiming to have found a way for one person to control another person's body by linking the two individual's brains via a computer.  They are calling it a 'mind meld'.  I call it 'seeds of the zombie apocalypse'.

http://now.msn.com/human-mind-control-could-be-soon-a-reality?ocid=ansnowex

Sure, it might seem a little far fetched, now but think of the potential, future applications - both good and bad.

Need to send people in to a dangerous environment (say an accident site with high radiation levels) where a robot may not have the manual dexterity to take care of the task?  Well, take corpses, install things like pacemakers and other 'life support' type equipment to keep their circulatory system functioning, lungs working and so on (keeping their bodies technically 'alive' even though the person is dead) wire their brain for wireless Internet access, strap a camera to their head and allow a living expert to control the body remotely so that only the remotely-controlled corpse is actually exposed to danger.

Of course, the military potential of such a capability would be obvious - as well as the possiblity that an increasingly militarized police force could make use of it.

Or maybe even go the full-on cyborg route.  Use the corpses of recently deceased donors, integrate the aforementioned 'life support' equipment along with the equipment needed to interface with the brain into an armored, cybernetic 'suit' and you'll have an unfeeling, uncaring, unthinking zombie 'Terminator' (or Robocop) that can be remotely controlled by anyone with the right equipment.  Heck, someone with the right training might be able to control two or three at the same time.

Now think if terrorists or similarly unbalanced people got ahold of that technology.

Like I said, a bit far fetched but it is an interesting mental/imaginative exercise to think about the potential for advances in such technology in the future.

:hiding:

Wish I could remember the show/movie I watched a while back.  Some people had a job of being avatars for people.  They would hook up in game and people on the internet would play them. 

I can't remember the movie/show but if it rings a bell with someone let me know.

I know it was some sci fi move but other then that.  Kinda along the lines of The Game

Wish I could remember the show/movie I watched a while back.  Some people had a job of being avatars for people.  They would hook up in game and people on the internet would play them. 

I can't remember the movie/show but if it rings a bell with someone let me know.

I know it was some sci fi move but other then that.  Kinda along the lines of The Game

I think you're thinking of Gamer starring Gerard Butler.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034032/

Surrogates with Bruce Willis was another one