Ever reloaded something & it scared you?

I just got done reloading a couple of dozen .458 Win Mags.
Holy hell, but just loading them gave me the Willies! It's a compressed load (110% density) of 70gn of IMR4320, magnum primer under a 500gn Barnes TSX flat based Spitzer.
Reading the manuals, this is well under the safe maximum, especially for a ruger #1 but the whole 2-hands-&-all-my-body-weight-on-the-press-handle thing has me really nervous about touching one off!
Anyone else felt like this, or am I being overly paranoid?

If something makes me nervous when reloading it, I tend to back off and do something differently.   I consider paranoia and illogical worry to be a layer of common sense; that is, if something I am doing is setting off alarms, then somewhere, deep in my brain, something has made a connection that something I am doing is possibly more dangerous than usual.  

In your case, I would either reduce the load with that powder until it can be loaded without excessive force or I would swap to a hotter powder.   Forcing things during the reloading process .... seems like a bad idea to me, and I would (personally) not do it anymore.    The only thing I have ever forced on the press was to reshape unprimed brass, which is not possible to explode. 

Don't be a little girl. Go light one off and then report back, if you can.  Honestly though, if it made me nervous I would triple check my load data and maybe google to see if it was supposed to be that hard to reload. Then I'd go shoot one, just because thats the way I am..

I've double & triple checked all the data & I'm 5gn under the max load with this powder!
I may have exaggerated the pressure needed to load the bullet, slightly ;)
The unnerving thing is just seeing exactly how much powder its crammed into these rascals!
I still weigh every charge & measure every round I load & everything is as it should be.
I guess I'm just being a pansy. I usually only load .45 LC & .45-70 so the physical size of these is just intimidating!
  • Like 1

rob:____________

Did ya tap the case to settle the powder?  I always do that on the "compressed loads".  We used to load some pretty hefty loads of IMR 4350 in the 375 H & H.   Tapping the side of the case will generally make the powder settle a bit and ease the "crunch" ya are feeling while seating the bullet.  

I've got some 458 loaded downstairs with 67 grains of IMR3031 (...i think...) with 400 grain hard cast linotype bullets.  We've shot 'em; the load  recipe is no good.  The bullets are a bit small for the bore and i think are strippin the lands.  Cant keep 'em on the target at 50 yards.  I'm gonna pull 'em down and reload them with a jacketed bullet; but ive just not done it yet. 

If your rifle is a ruger #1; they have a generous bore and lots of free bore.  That calms the pressure down a bit; so i wouldn't worry if you have double checked your load and you know for certain that it is ok with the loading manuals or the powder website.

Have fun.

leroy

I don't load any compressed loads. If I need more power, I just look for another powder(or bigger gun).

May I ask why not?

I've found that lots of times, a compressed load coincides with the best choice of powder for a given cartridge. It also prevents overcharging a cartridge by accident.

Also, I've never fired anything other than a compressed load from a shotgun or muzzleloader. I can't imagine it being a problem in a rifle, as long as it is a tested load published in a mainstream reloading manual.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

sometimes i wonder if the manufacture has ever loaded and tested thier own data, look at a .223 and varget powder with a 55gr SP

25.5 gr 3174 fps 41,300 CUP  27.5C gr max 3384 fps 49,700 CUP         

at 25.5 gr you have already filled the case to the bottom/midd of the neck, how the hell am i supposed to get another two grains in there, maybe one, but two... really makes me wonder somtimes. but nothing that has scared me like you are refering too.

Edited by jconway

I've loaded some S&W 500 magnum that I was hesitant to try. After checking data from several different sources, I was confident that it was ok. I sprinkle my powder on the scale and if it comes up any amount over what I'm shooting for, it goes back in the powder tub and I start over. It is very time consuming, but I know for a fact that I'm following the manual and with multiple cross references, I'm confident in my loads now.

Not even a max load on some M1 carbine rounds with 1680, and compressed loads, at that. Took them out and were wonderful.

I still have all my limbs. If I can get my hands on some N110, I will try that next.