Man shoots friend in the eye, through a wall

.44 to the head, that dude is very very lucky that he's still aliive, shame about his eye though, I hope that they'll be able to save it.

I'm guessing that they aren't going to go to Pacific Playland together when/if the zombie apocolypse happens.

Why is it always someone cleaning their gun? I guess that is an easy excuse. That is why I NEVER clean my guns unless I absolutely have to.

Personally I think it was more like "I was screwing around playing quick draw aiming at myself in the mirror when I pulled the trigger".

When I was in the military I had the husband of a friend of my wife's call. They had gotten to be friends because we raised dogs and they bought one. Well when my wife answered she said, "ok" over and over again then frantically handed me the phone. He said I was showing my friend my new gun and it went off. I asked if everyone is ok and he said no, I shot someone. I asked if it was bad and he said his friend's foot was bleeding. I told him to take him to the hospital. He asked if he had to because he would get in trouble and I told him "YES!" He said he helped carry his buddy into the ER. He said the doctor removed a splinter out then put a bandaid on it. Turns out when the gun when off the bullet hit the coffee table and a splinter went into his friends foot. I laughed so hard after I found out it was a splinter but the guy who had the AD/ND will never forget because he was charged and got an Article 15 out of it.

It seems like AD/ND's were all too common in the military. Seemed like once a month you would hear of one on the base, both on and off duty.

Losing an eye is still a big deal. Changes your life for sure. People clean their guns knowing its loaded all the time. And all of them think nothing will happen on their watch cause they have been doing it for 20 years.....

Losing an eye is still a big deal. Changes your life for sure. People clean their guns knowing its loaded all the time. And all of them think nothing will happen on their watch cause they have been doing it for 20 years.....

This I do not understand.  Yes, I know if I'm careful nothing should happen. In reality, people make mistakes or slip at the wrong moment.  When I clean a gun I make sure it's unloaded upstairs, then I carry it downstairs and clean it in a room where there isn't so much as a single round of ammunition.  But maybe I'm just weird that way.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

Accidents happen. If they involve guns, they make news. The news couldn't figure how to inject racism into it.

Sorry about the man's eye. We would have never heard of this one if it only went through the wall.

Don't forget the DEA agent in the classroom. I'd say they were both stupid for not being careful.

It seems like AD/ND's were all too common in the military. Seemed like once a month you would hear of one on the base, both on and off duty.

Yup. If you want to play with your gun, take it to a range and shoot the damn thing.

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of safeties. I keep my guns ready to go at the pull of a trigger (when loaded*) and always treat them that way.

*And even when they're unloaded, they're loaded.

Edited by tnguy

I don't believe I could clean the chamber very well with a round in there.  never tired and guess I will never find out.  The only way I know to clean a gun is step 1.  Unload.

Guest TankerHC

I dont know how many are like me, but unless I am cleaning a gun, they stay in the safe, if not cleaning and they come out, its because I need to snap a photo, count and check serial numbers or they are going to the range. I see there is some disagreement that he may have been cleaning his gun, more like playing with it. But I happen to know someone personally, who's uncle WAS actually cleaning a Service Revolver, put it between his legs with the barrel facing up and two seconds later had a large hole in his head.

I dont have a .44 Mag, but I have owned them. I am also not an small arms ballistics expert. But, assuming this was a .44 mag and he was using just 165 gr JHP out of a 5 or 6 inch barrel. That round is still traveling over 1000 fps at over 600 ft-lbf of muzzle energy when it leaves the barrel. That house is a duplex, at best, the two rooms it passed through are 20x20, so at the farthest that round traveled 40 feet if they were standing on complete opposite ends of the rooms. That drywall would have barely slowed that bullet down, and someone look at that book case, where's the hole? only thing I see is a piece knocked off the end. So a (44 Caliber Bullet), traveling 40 feet or less, going through two flimsy pieces of drywall, ricocheting off a piece of particle board, and hit someone dead in the eye...and hes only going to (Maybe) lose an eye?

I suppose anythings possible, and I used 165 gr as an example because its the slowest round I could see ballistically  off the shelf, and based on the graphic they used as an example of the gun. Personally I dont believe it. Not unless it was cap and ball.

Edited by TankerHC

I dont know how many are like me, but unless I am cleaning a gun, they stay in the safe, if not cleaning and they come out, its because I need to snap a photo, count and check serial numbers or they are going to the range. I see there is some disagreement that he may have been cleaning his gun, more like playing with it. But I happen to know someone personally, who's uncle WAS actually cleaning a Service Revolver, put it between his legs with the barrel facing up and two seconds later had a large hole in his head.

How do you know that he was actually cleaning it though? (Not calling you out, just curious). That certainly sounds "suspicious" to me.

I'm with Vontar, step 1 is unload but also step 2 is field strip/open. I guess there's a little more room for error with a revolver but I can't imagine cleaning without popping the cylinder open.

My grandpa use to wipe down his loaded rifles. He didnt clean inside just wiped all the outside parts. I wonder how many of these gun cleaning miss fires are from just cleaning the outside and hitting the trigger?

I will admit to doing an external wipedown on a loaded gun if it got a drop of sweat or fingerprint on the barrel or something.  I see no difference in this and any other handling of a loaded gun: keep it pointed safe and do not touch the trigger.   Racking the slide to unload it and reload it after is equally, if not more, dangerous than running a rag over the slide or barrel.  Just don't use the rag to polish the trigger and don't rush.   Thankfully I no longer carry a rustbucket daily, and no longer need to do this, but anyone who has carried a pistol that will rust in 1/2 an hour after being touched probably understands where I am coming from...