Wife is taking a trip to Florida

My wife is taking a trip to Florida this weekend, while I'll be taking a trip to Arkansas. I have a carry permit and will be carrying, but she does not. My question is, what are the laws in Florida and Georgia about her possessing a handgun as long as it is unloaded and stays in her car until she gets to her destination, where it will be secured in the house where she will be staying?

From what I have read online it seems that she'll be ok to have the pistol (unloaded) in the glove compartment and a loaded magazine in a different location in the car (arms length or more, similar to Tennessee). Just want to make sure what I'm reading is accurate/I'm reading it correctly. She will not be carrying it around with her, and yes we'll be getting her a carry permit when time and $ allows.

Any info you guys could provide will be much appreciated.

And apologies if this has already been addressed, I did several searches and didn't find anything that addressed possessing a handgun without a permit in those states.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated. This is what I was reading on http://www.handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf
16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.
Note: The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) Possession in Private Conveyance.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self- defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
790.001 Definitions.-- As Used in This Chapter, Except Where the Context Otherwise Requires:
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Do these two support my theory that she is ok with a handgun in the glovebox and a mag located elsewhere in the vehicle, so as it's not in the same compartment? This is where I'm assuming (and I hate doing that, which is why I'm trying to make sure) that a mag more than arms reach away from the glove compartment is acceptable.

Thanks again.