Scam Alert

Got a call today from 281 741 0311,someone out of Texas, who announced that he was with the police and troopers foundation that provides funds to the families of fallen and wounded police officers. He told me not to worry as no one is in trouble but the foundation needed my donation to help fallen officers.

After I asked him to fax me a copy of his 501c he said ok and hung up. The number he called from is a Comcast number. Houston PD is a pain to get through to but I figured posting this might save someone from being ripped off by a con artist taking advantage of compassion.
If u get this call do not give out any of your personal information. He is not a foundation don't give him c card info.
  • Like 1

Why don't just everyone on here block there number and call him to the point he can't use his phone!!!! Tell him you are with the FBI fraud division and ask if he has been getting any phone calls asking for money.

Edited by jtmaze
Should report it, I bet the cops would love to investigate someone impersonating one of their charities.

Also please don't call that number and harass them! The scammer could've easily spoofed the phone number and now you're calling a completely innocent person. Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1
[quote name="Sam1" post="1020722" timestamp="1377353724"] Should report it, I bet the cops would love to investigate someone impersonating one of their charities. Also please don't call that number and harass them! The scammer could've easily spoofed the phone number and now you're calling a completely innocent person.[/quote] I did attempt to get through to Houston pd directly but their intake volume is so big they don't want to deal with anything from outside of their area.im pushing something through another judicial office that will work. I posted the number cause the guy is probably going through a tn list they have. One of the worst things is if someone voluntarily provides payment to an org as a donation,the bank views it as a legit purchase making charge reversal futile. It's very time consuming to nail any bad charity, but its not too hard to tell everyone about them being bad. On a side note the number could have been spoofed as well, technically it's part of a Comcast block. Edited by Dustbuster
Guest TankerHC

I did attempt to get through to Houston pd directly but their intake volume is so big they don't want to deal with anything from outside of their area.im pushing something through another judicial office that will work. I posted the number cause the guy is probably going through a tn list they have. One of the worst things is if someone voluntarily provides payment to an org as a donation,the bank views it as a legit purchase making charge reversal futile. It's very time consuming to nail any bad charity, but its not too hard to tell everyone about them being bad. On a side note the number could have been spoofed as well, technically it's part of a Comcast block.

Dealt with this stuff a few times. The PD doesn't handle it, the States Attorney Generals Office does and will.

Edit: Almost forgot, this guy has violated several laws, but going with the recomendations of blocking his number by massive phone calls is also illegal. he could turn the tables and place the callers in violation of the TCPA and several other FCC Regulations. Would pretty much suck to end up with a fine and/or jail for harassing a scam artist.

Edited by TankerHC

My way to avoid scams is to NEVER give to anyone who calls me for money. I give to charities who I am comfortable with and have at the least done some checking out and then I'll mail a check. They will tell you on the phone "Thanks for your previous support" and I know that's just not true. 

I'll also drop some cash in the bell ringers buckets but other than that I don't pass out my cash either.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
They have called me twice in the last two weeks. Both times at around 8 pm. Told them to take my name off the list to f themselves and that if they called back (during the second phone call) I would contact fcc,ftc, and police. They've not called back but if they do I'm going to be like Domingo stop calling then give him his least name and address and let him know the cops will be coming to his house. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

My way to avoid scams is to NEVER give to anyone who calls me for money. I give to charities who I am comfortable with and have at the least done some checking out and then I'll mail a check. They will tell you on the phone "Thanks for your previous support" and I know that's just not true. 
I'll also drop some cash in the bell ringers buckets but other than that I don't pass out my cash either.

THIS