East TN Bear hunting info

A good friend of mine is dying to kill a black bear with a bow. I told him the dying part is possible if he fudges up lol But seriously, he is not wanting to pay guide fees as he is extremely tight budget wise. Any help would be appreciated so I can pass it on to him. Mainly looking for areas y'all may know of that he can just drive out, scout before hand, and hunt on his own. I may go with him but not with my bow....well, not JUST my bow!

I made the mistake of hunting during dog season a couple of years ago... didn't see anything but a BUNCH of hunters and their dogs. However, once we got way back in the woods, up on some of the fire roads we started finding sign for bear. It was old, but I'm pretty sure it would be a productive area given the right time of the year. We stayed in Tellico Plains and hunted around the edges of the bear reserve. You'll want good maps... one side of the road is reserve, the other side, legal to hunt. Satellite imagery of the area was also helpful, it led us to some back roads that didn't show up on the maps. Take a good four wheel drive vehicle and go everywhere they'll let you. Watch the edge of the road for bear sign. They are in there, but heavily pressured. A fun hunt, but not an easy one.

Thanks for that Chris. That was one of my first concerns, getting to the spots. I assumed as you said, 4x4 to navigate the trails. I think he is thinking he can pull up to the woods off of a blacktop road out of town and go a couple hundred yards in the woods and they will just pop out of nowhere. I guess its possible, but if I drive all the way out there, I want to be where I have the highest chance of seeing something.

The tactic we used was to drive until we found sign. Scat, tracks, clawed trees, whatever... then park it and go on foot. We were also able to scout out some likely looking fields w/ good food sources and when we found sign we'd set up on em and see if anyone wandered in. Never had any luck, but again, bad timing.

The old timers out there would usually just set up on the road and watch a hollow.... might be thats more productive, but frankly I think most of them were out there with a thermos of "cheer" and could have cared less. It's possible a bear will wander by, but frankly I think a little scouting will up the chances of a successful hunt.

The tactic we used was to drive until we found sign. Scat, tracks, clawed trees, whatever... then park it and go on foot. We were also able to scout out some likely looking fields w/ good food sources and when we found sign we'd set up on em and see if anyone wandered in. Never had any luck, but again, bad timing.
The old timers out there would usually just set up on the road and watch a hollow.... might be thats more productive, but frankly I think most of them were out there with a thermos of "cheer" and could have cared less. It's possible a bear will wander by, but frankly I think a little scouting will up the chances of a successful hunt.

The thermos of cheer would definitely make it less stressful but not these days haha. I wouldn't mind spending some time scouting. I won't lie, it already gives me chill bumps thinking about walking through thick brush and scaring a momma with cubs! Or even a pissed off loner. Good for me to be on my toes I guess versus being complacent.

Yeah. It can be a little nerve racking. That's why I only hunt dangerous game w/ firearms.
You got bigger ones than I do going in with just a bow.

Oh no, not me! You must have missed where I said "Not JUST my bow". I'm not that experienced to be shooting a charging bear. Maybe a walking bear. I will have heavy artillery with my and one hand on it at all times for sure!
  • Like 1

I made the mistake of hunting during dog season a couple of years ago... didn't see anything but a BUNCH of hunters and their dogs. However, once we got way back in the woods, up on some of the fire roads we started finding sign for bear. It was old, but I'm pretty sure it would be a productive area given the right time of the year. We stayed in Tellico Plains and hunted around the edges of the bear reserve. You'll want good maps... one side of the road is reserve, the other side, legal to hunt. Satellite imagery of the area was also helpful, it led us to some back roads that didn't show up on the maps. Take a good four wheel drive vehicle and go everywhere they'll let you. Watch the edge of the road for bear sign. They are in there, but heavily pressured. A fun hunt, but not an easy one.

This.

I work with guy who's a big bear hunter.  Dog season is terrible around here as there seem to be a number of irresponsible dog owners who's dogs get away and cause all manner of havoc.  But I'm not a fan of using dogs in the first place. 

I feel sure that stalking one would be quite a challenge.