.22 Rifle Recommendation(s)

I need some input on a .22 rifle for my nephew -- who has never shown much interest in firearms.  He will occasionally shoot what I have with me, and is familiar with wheelguns (or enough so that I allow him to shoot mine).  He thinks he might like a .22 bolt action, or "an old-timey kind of rifle" (which I assume to mean a lever-action).  I don't know too much about .22 rifles, other than the Ruger 10-22 that I own -- and he doesn't show much interest in the semi-autos.

So I need a little help in deciding what he needs; something simple and reliable, but "fun" enough to peak his interest in shooting sports.  BTW, he's 22, so not a "kid" anymore.  Any ideas?  Thanks, folks ...

I learned on a Marlin .22 bolt action with a tube magazine and I cherish it to this day. It's not the best looking, shooting, or valuable gun that I own by far but it's one of my favorites that puts a smile on my face every time I take it out of the safe and I can't wait to teach my kids to shoot with it someday.

I just put my Henry H0001 through a workout and it didn't let me down.  It's also a terrific company with exceptional customer service.  I've owned two Ruger 10/22s but Henry puts the fun back into plinking and small animal hunting.  It retails locally at $289.

CZ 452/455.  It isn't the cheapest, but they are accurate and of excellent quality.  It is something he could keep forever.   There are many models, but a 452 Military Trainer or Ultra Lux with peep sites is about as fun as it gets.  Call Whittakers Guns in KY, they have the best selection.  Even better, take the 2 1/2 hour drive up there and look at about anything you want.  He could pick it out.  You won't be disappointed if you take the drive.

Edited by Hozzie

I rarely shoot my Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 or my Winchester 190 after getting a Henry H001.  It is great fun to shoot and, IMO, gives just about the perfect rate of fire.  By that, I mean you aren't tempted to burn through rounds like with a semiauto (although with practice you can get pretty quick) but it isn't slow and tedious like a single shot can sometimes be.

Pump action .22 rifles are also a hoot to shoot.  I think they are sometimes called 'gallery guns'.  I have a Rossi pump in .22WMR and my mom has an old Remington and a Norinco, both in .22LR.  I'm not sure who is still making them 'new' but I think new ones run a pretty penny.  Collectible old ones aren't exactly cheap, either but you might find a 'non collectible' used one at a reasonable price.

As far as single shots go, my nephew has an old Sears (probably made by Ithaca) falling block that really is a lot of fun.  I don't know of anyone making a rifle of that style, currently, and have no idea what the existing ones go for.

Edited by JAB

My favorite 22's are a bolt action heavy barreled Savage FV and a classic Ruger single six single action revolver. The Savage is incredibly accurate and the Ruger, well it's just plain fun to shoot.  That being said, for a 22 year old I'm going to go against what a lot of people here will recommend and suggest a tactical style 22 rifle such as the Smith and Wesson MP 15-22.

It isn't particularly accurate. It has a polymer lower and they is a little expensive, although you do see a lot of them listed in classifieds such as armslist. That being said, they are a ton of fun to shoot and just look cool, especially to a 22 year old. I have the smith and wesson and it runs great. The Mossberg tactical 22 is a little cheaper, but I don't have any experience with it. Sticking with the tactical style, a Savage 64-TR wouldn't be a bad choice either and I have seen several of those listed on armlist in the past month. 

I realize you said he hasn't shown much interest in semi-auto's but I would at least run the idea of one of these guns by him and see what he thinks. 

Cheap .22LR bolt action, I wouldn't invest a great rifle into a 22 year old who isn't all that interested & may just put the rifle in a closet for 20+ years before they eventually decide to garage sale it for $50

This.  You can still get a Savage Mark II bolt action from WalMart for under two bills if I'm not mistaken.  Sounds likes he's not all that into it so why spend a lot?

• Like 1

Appreciate the advice.  I have enjoyed my 10-22, but know nothing of the current crop of bolt or lever actions. Don't need to really, as I left my eyesight somewhere, some years back.

The nephew doesn't appear to care one whit for any of my semi-auto pistols, but has seemed to take a liking to the Ruger Single Six and the Colt Frontier Scout, so I had been leaning toward a lever-action -- maybe a Henry -- also because he said he liked the "old-timey" stuff.  But a decent bolt action wouldn't be bad, either, I suppose.  Main thing I'd like to do is get him interested in shooting.  Since my son married, I don't have a shooting partner very often, and heck, every boy needs to know how to use a gun.  So far, I've loaded everything he's shot, and maybe, just maybe, one of his own might be the catalyst to get him involved in the shooting sports.

'Course, something to be said for a cheap starter, too.  Hadn't considered that he might park it in a corner and then sell or pawn it ...

Thanks again.

My son likes to shoot, but he'd rather shoot my Colt .22 Peacemaker and my Pietta 1858 Remington .44, than any other pistol I own.  He loves shooting his Marlin 83 too.  He's shot my AK and shrugged it off.  He likes the old stuff.

My son likes to shoot, but he'd rather shoot my Colt .22 Peacemaker and my Pietta 1858 Remington .44, than any other pistol I own. He loves shooting his Marlin 83 too. He's shot my AK and shrugged it off. He likes the old stuff.

Thats because the "old stuff" has soul. They were made by people who had pride in the craftsmanship of their work. Glocks and ARs, not so much

Thats because the "old stuff" has soul. They were made by people who had pride in the craftsmanship of their work. Glocks and ARs, not so much

You may have hit on something with this nephew.  He's only 22, but likes the "old stuff" in several areas -- -- likes to hear and learn about the ways things were in my day, or even his grandfather's day.  An exception to that is in music.  He'll listen to, and like, older country (George Jones, Conway Twitty, or even Hank, Sr.) and my era of music -- CCR, Three Dog Night, etc.  But he likes to play (and listen) to what most young'uns today listen to - except rap.  Sorry, but speaking of "soul," this new stuff, country, pop, or R&R, don't have any.  And rap ain't music.