What are some good elk hunting techniques

I have my first elk hunt planned for October 3rd-13th in Utah.  This is just right after the rut, what are some good techniques for hunting public land for bull elk?  Deep in the woods/high in the mountains?  Never been and don't know much about it, but I am very excited.  any advice from some guys who have gone before would be great.   I did buy a hoochie momma caller last night, sounds just like the cows I have heard on TV

Get where you can see a long way and spend time behind binoculars. Then strategize on how to get close enough to shoot.

Be better if you can do some scouting to find some sign like where they may be feeding the week before or talk to someone that knows the area but elk being in Utah and you being in TN makes that kinda tough.

To me they hunt like turkeys. They're social and Like turkeys, when they aren't gobbling you gotta come up with other ways like finding em and sneaking up on them and bushwhacking them or sitting on a likely meadow with some sign and just watching and waiting or blind calling a little with a cow call.

I hope you've been exercising, elk hunting ain't easy. Thinner air sucks balls. And what if you have to run a mile or more over rocks to get in front of some. (Did that once. It was a bitch but the guy with me killed one, he wasn't in as good of shape but it was his first elk and he was thankful I was full of piss and vingar and pushed him to do it. Really it wasn't my piss and vinegar it was because I ran in my work boots with leg weights on nearly every evening all summer after working 10-12 hour days landscaping in the 100 degree heat.)

All that said it's tough to connect on the first try, hunting an animal you've never hunted, on ground you've never hunted. Take the time to truly enjoy your surroundings and the stuff you see and feel... and make a spiritual connection to get in good graces with the elk gods. You do that and they'll reward you.
  • Like 2